PDA

View Full Version : Anderson headstock

pipedwho
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Does anyone else here also just love the Anderson head stock?

Tom mentioned in a thread that he preferred his older version that looked a lot more like the Fender Strat head stock. But, IMO, the current one that Anderson uses on all their guitars is the BEES KNEES! I love it to the extent where actual Fender head stocks look clumsy and oversized! :D

Fender headstock = Ford styling
Anderson headstock = Ferrari styling :cool:

theatomicjeff
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes.
I love it on everything except the Atom.
I'd love it even more if it were bigger/rounder like a 70's Strat (best headstock evah). :cool:

dannopelli
05-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Yep. I have got to agree.

Tom, I think this would be the first time I disagree with you. The current headstock is understated, minimalist, and elegant. There is no knob at the end, no extraneous "flourish" so to speak. The tip points down ever so slightly, in a kind of reverential way.

To me it is like my wife in her perfect black dress. Elegant, just a bit sexy but not so much to be about the dress, but about her.

ckofahl
05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
You gotta love that headstock after that discription. I think I'll go out and buy my wife a new dress! One more reason for her to love my tags. They make me a better man.

Son of Anderson
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
oh man....

Road King
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Yep, I'm with the crew on this one. I love the headstock on everything but the Atom. And I love my wife in black. And my Anderson makes me a better human being.;)

mbrown3
05-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I like the headstock, even on the Atom, although I do prefer 3X3 headstocks in general (my fat fingers have a hard time manipulating 6-in-line tuners accurately). Anyway, I agree that the TAG headstock is one of the best in the biz.

pipedwho
05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Danno's posting is worthy of 'hall of fame' status! :eek:

After a description like that, I have a new appreciation for my TAGs ... and my wife!

I think we need at least one pic in this thread: :D

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6302/p1010677vf5.jpg

Dave K
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Reminds me of the old days with my Kramer. :D

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/images/30U/30U-10423_headstock-front.jpg

ryman150
05-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Ya, I think the Anderson headstock is sooooo cool. One of the best designs on a guitar. It really is so distinct, and it's not too "old fashioned" looking. I've always been a fan. :D

pluto
05-15-2008, 02:07 AM
The newer headstock is cool, but I gotta agree with Tom-the older headstock was the bomb. Fender got it right the first time IMO, so I vote for the older headstock!

Harker1440
05-15-2008, 05:02 AM
I vote for the new headstock

jimfitz
05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
AFIC, the two most important factors in buying a guitar are #1 the headstock and #2 the color. Oh yah and I forgot and how cool you look with the guitar strapped on. Keep the new headstock, its the main reason I bought a TAG ;)

SonicGator
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Another fan of the headstock here. The Atom, especially the new CT, deserves a 3+3 layout though.

LearnedHand
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
My preference is to keep the headstock as is for all Andersons. I like the functionality of having all six tuners on one side and the strings straight from the bridge to the peghead. Having all six tuners on one side, to be, permits fast string changes and tunings. Having not bent to the left or right, to me, provides less attenuation of the string's tone. In addition, I would want just enough wood at the headstock to keep the guitar neck stable and avoid a neck-heavy feeling guitar.

csd
05-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Totally dig the "as is" headstock. Suites it best and looks killer! 3+3 headstocks with the bent back, would totally change the perfect tone TAGs already have.
Tom, please don't even consider a change to the headstock, it is great looking!! And Danno's discription was AWESOME!!!!! Almost 'Roy-ish!!'

mbrown3
05-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I doubt a 3+3 headstock will alter the tone compared to 6-in-line (though I could be wrong), but for functional purposes, folks with fat fingers like me have a much easier time with 3+3. I know Tom likes 6-in-line better personally (and thus probably not being considered, which is understandable), but it would be cool to offer a 3+3 option for those who are so inclined.

tom
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
i've been looking at 6 inline for so long the 3+3 looks short and stubby to me. they don't follow the body curves and just look like a paddle out there on the end of the neck, so i'm stickin' with 6:D

LearnedHand
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

JAZZGEAR
05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Does anyone else here also just love the Anderson head stock?

Tom mentioned in a thread that he preferred his older version that looked a lot more like the Fender Strat head stock. But, IMO, the current one that Anderson uses on all their guitars is the BEES KNEES! I love it to the extent where actual Fender head stocks look clumsy and oversized! :D

Fender headstock = Ford styling
Anderson headstock = Ferrari styling :cool:

Well, I'll be one of a dissenting opinion. I love TAG guitars, but would prefer my classic's headstock to have more girth (or wood) on it, akin to the Fenders.

I think Leo designed the perfect headstock for the "S' body style guitar.

JAZZGEAR
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
i've been looking at 6 inline for so long the 3+3 looks short and stubby to me. they don't follow the body curves and just look like a paddle out there on the end of the neck, so i'm stickin' with 6:D

I know it's shallow of me, but the 6 inline headstock is what has kept me from getting an Atom.....to me that roundish body does not mesh well with the headstock.:eek:

I'll stick with the Cobras; now, that TA headstock is perfect form and function on that body style:D

theatomicjeff
05-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I know it's shallow of me, but the 6 inline headstock is what has kept me from getting an Atom.....to me that roundish body does not mesh well with the headstock.:eek:

Exactly. A Fenderish headstock just doesn't look right on a single cutaway guitar. :p

barfly
05-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I love the current headstock..so... +1!

Rupe
05-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I think both the old and new TA headstocks are nice and I don't mind the new one on the Atom. As a player, I put function over form. If I find what I'm playing is aesthetically pleasing, all the better, but I never make a decision based on how something looks unless all else is equal.

mbrown3
05-17-2008, 11:58 AM

I had a feeling you would say that. :(

JAZZGEAR
05-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I had a feeling you would say that. :(

+:( :( :(

and :mad:

tom
05-17-2008, 11:38 PM
lots of people make 3+3, you have lots of choices. you don't have to be mad at me.

mbrown3
05-18-2008, 12:50 PM
lots of people make 3+3, you have lots of choices. you don't have to be mad at me.

I'm not mad, I'm disappointed. Crap, I sound like my parents.

Of course, you're right that lots of people make 3+3s, but none of them make guitars like you guys do!

JAZZGEAR
05-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Oh, didn't know you sub-contracted TAG guitars - Will have to hunt down one of those other TAG manufacturers that make the 3:3 headstock Atoms:rolleyes: :D