PDA

View Full Version : UV acrylic finish

Dfarr
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I have been playing a Cobra S for about 15 months. I play it almost every day for 2-3 hours. Where my right forearm rests on the upper bout (the forearm contour area) the UV finish has become dull and cloudy looking. After every time I play I wipe down the guitar with a 100% cotton cloth. I also clean and polish the guitar quite often with Meguiars quick detailer. Is there any way to bring back the shine to the UV finish?

bruce
05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Use a fresh part of the cloth or use a new cloth each time you wipe down. If you don't, you keep recycling the dirty part of the cloth back onto the guitar. It's also possible you have built up the Meguiar's OVER the sweat. The UV finish is VERY durable and shouldn't get dull... although I've seen it get dull with only a couple TA owners that had a very acidic sweat.

pipedwho
05-13-2008, 01:50 AM
I don't know if this applies to you, as Quick Detailer cleans up just about anything.

I had a similar problem on the finish of my Cobra. I just about crapped myself as the guitar was only a few days old. I tried to wipe it off with a dry cloth, but it wouldn't go away - it looked like a cloudy area that was etched into the finish.

But as a last ditch I tried using a little spit on my finger and it wiped off - then the cloth cleaned it up back to a mirror finish.

Dfarr
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the advice! I tried using a damp cloth over the area and that helped remove the sweat. It still was slightly dull so i used some Meguiars swirl remover VERY GENTLY and that brought it back to the original shine. I am purchasing some new cotton flannel this weekend to use for polish cloths.

Suriel Zayas
05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I am purchasing some new cotton flannel this weekend to use for polish cloths.

have you tried micro-fiber cloths?

Dave C
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I use a product called Virtuoso. There is both a cleaner and polish. I think it can be ordered from the website, Virtuosopolish.com but I have seen it at GC also. It was recommended to me from a good friend who was in the music business for years. Whatever you use, make sure you use clean cloths and keep turning them to avoid rubbing the dirt/grit back into the guitar.

Mister T
05-16-2008, 02:08 PM
I use the Fender-Meguiar's kit. It works VERY well. Highly recommended.

A friend of mine likes Meguiar's cleaner wax.