PDA

View Full Version : Just could not get used to the Tube Zone

dannopelli
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Tried. Played with it for hours. But I just find it a bit too much. While the ability to adjust so many parameters is helpful, it is also a bit over complicated for me.

This was for my small board, and I just don't need the hassle. I really wanted it for the "over the top" OD. And while it did that well, again it was a bit much. Plus the dials are impossible to live. One small move or two and you are screwed.

So a brand new Mosferatu popped up this morning on ebay for $215 and I scooped it up. I have a Mos and Zen in my larger board. So I am very comfortable with this change.

Ray K.
05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
dannopelli,

I own two, one for each pedalboard and love 'em! Having said that, I do understand your pain. It can take awhile to dial them in. But, once you find what you're looking for, if you do, only then do you really appreciate them.

Oh, and you can bet my knob positions are marked, just in case.

You've no doubt decided to move on, but there is always the older 3 knob version, with internal controls. I've not used one, but I suspect it would be easier to deal with.

MI has a habit of giving his user's more control than most pedal builders. It can be a good thing, or not.

At least you tried one.

Ray K.

Suriel Zayas
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
but there is always the older 3 knob version, with internal controls.

i have both, but i prefer the 3 knob.

dannopelli
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
You know the pedal is just awesome. But It is just a bit much. Kind of like why I let my switcheroo guitar go. I kept that for two years too! Or why I switched from Mesa to a single channel Dr. Z.

The flexibility for things like the Egnater amps, multi channel Mesa's, etc is AMAZING. I still maintain that my desert island rig is my Cobra S, my Fender Evil Twin, and a DT7. I know that SO MANY people swear by gear that offers tons of options. But for me I like a bit more simplicity. Hey I mean I am switching it for a MOSFERATU. Not like I am going to install some sort of OD box I scooped up at Target while picking up laundry detergent!

I kept it and tried it for several months. I'll likely put it in the box with the Direct Drive and a few other goodies, and drag it out if needed.

Ray K.
05-08-2008, 11:58 AM
i have both, but i prefer the 3 knob.
Suriel,

Are they better sounding or just easier to use? Or both?

Btw, Glenn Pearce says he likes them too. Do you happen to cross paths with him? I'm curious what's going on. MWS just announced a new lineup and he's not included.

Ray K.
p.s. how are you liking your modded Blackheart amp? I don't want to hijack a thread, so please post something over in the Blackheart thread when you get a chance.

Ray K.
05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Dan,

Even thought I happen to like the TubeZone, I'm a lot like you when it comes to gear. At least that's they way I've gotten lately. Give me a good single channel amp any day. I have a Z Maz Jr also.

I asked a ton of questions about the Switcheroo setup before buying my first Anderson. I've got enough versatility with the standard switching and controls on my HDT.

Just to let you know you're not by yourself. ;)

Ray K.

jimfitz
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Suriel,

Btw, Glenn Pearce says he likes them too. Do you happen to cross paths with him? I'm curious what's going on. MWS just announced a new lineup and he's not included.

Ray K.
p.s. how are you liking your modded Blackheart amp? I don't want to hijack a thread, so please post something over in the Blackheart thread when you get a chance.
I figured that since Line 6 was able to come up with a Glenn Pearce preset for their Bogner Spider Valve amp, he became expendable. :eek:

Suriel Zayas
05-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Do you happen to cross paths with him?

how are you liking your modded Blackheart amp?

the 3 knob version seems easier to use, but for me it's the sound i can get from it. it sounds much more organic than the v2. at the same throatier and creamier.

actually two summers ago we shared the stage for a few shows while he was with mws and i was working with fred hammond.

with the blackheart, i'm sure i'd enjoy it, but i made the big mistake of taking it to my tech and being the funny guy he is, he decided to keep it. now it sits on his bench and i don't feel like modding another one.

Ray K.
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I figured that since Line 6 was able to come up with a Glenn Pearce preset for their Bogner Spider Valve amp, he became expendable. :eek:
Ouch! :p

Yeah, the first time I saw that on Glenn's TGP thread I thought someone was trying to pull a funny. Not that he's not deserving.

Ray K.

Ray K.
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
the 3 knob version seems easier to use, but for me it's the sound i can get from it. it sounds much more organic than the v2. at the same throatier and creamier.
Well, I had to ask. Now I may have to track one down and compare for myself. Or, I might contact MI and see what he can do for me.

with the blackheart, i'm sure i'd enjoy it, but i made the big mistake of taking it to my tech and being the funny guy he is, he decided to keep it. now it sits on his bench and i don't feel like modding another one.
Ahh, too bad. At least your tech has good taste, IMO. ;)

Ray K.

jimfitz
05-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Ouch! :p

Yeah, the first time I saw that on Glenn's TGP thread I thought someone was trying to pull a funny. Not that he's not deserving.

Ray K.

That thread's been going over 2 years; he's also a very funny and personable guy. I've always admired Glenn's playing and tone. I first heard him in Maranatha Praise Band and decided to buy my first Cobra when I saw him playing one with MWS. :) I'm sure he'll have no problem finding a gig. I'm looking forward to hearing more of his work.

Ray K.
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Ditto on what you said, Jim. I can pretty much place the blame on Glenn for getting me into Anderson guitars and MI Audio pedals. :rolleyes:

Ray K.

tom
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
maybe he already has a different gig and turned down the mws gig? he has been spending more time on the west coast.

Ray K.
05-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Tom,

I think you just said a whole lot without saying a whole lot. ;)

Care to elaborate?

Ray K.

tom
05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
i don't know anything. he's just such a great player i'd imagine he gets lots of offers. he has family out here so he's been spending more time here than he used to. not trying to start any rumors.

jimfitz
05-10-2008, 08:36 AM
i don't know anything. he's just such a great player i'd imagine he gets lots of offers. he has family out here so he's been spending more time here than he used to. not trying to start any rumors.
A great player with a great heart. He's had a very positive impact on my guitar playing. Its a joy to hear him play. I'm sure that there's a lot out there for him.