PDA

View Full Version : Carr---Imperial??????

GASMAN
03-28-2004, 02:11 PM
I've posted before about getting an amp that will stay (reasonably) clean at larger or outdoor venues. Carr always gets such positive reviews. Can anyone give me some feedback on the Imperial? I know where there's a 4x10 and a 2x12 ------but have not had the chance to play either yet. Anyone had any experience with this amp?

Gary F.
04-03-2004, 11:08 PM
I own a Carr imperial 2-12, along with a Carr Rambler and Mercury. (Guess you could say I'm a fan). I use the imperial for larger rooms and the Rambler for smaller venues; their sound is very similar.

The Imperial has a LOT of headroom. With 60 class A watts, it stays clean. Think of it as a Fender Twin with a really tight bottom (no f*rting out on low bass notes), musical highs that don't pierce, with a touch of Vox-ish chime on top. It takes pedals upfront very well, both overdrive and time-based effects. It's a really full sounding amp that doesn't make me miss the 4-12 Marshall cab I was using prior to discovering Carrs. It sounds great with my DTC, either clean or with a Maxon OD 808 upfront.

Steve Carr is building some incredible hand-built amps, which IMO, are really good values when compared to the prices some better known boutique makers are charging.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search!

Stan Malinowski
04-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Another Carr Lover!!!! Gary, I have a Mercury and a Rambler also. I have been considering looking for a used Hammerhead to "round out the set". Carrs are great amps built by a great individual!

Joel
04-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm new around here but am a Carr lover too. I've had a Rambler for a couple of years now. I also had a Hammerhead but sold it to fund some stupid fit of GAS. I wish I had it back - those were a great pair.

GASMAN
04-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Gary-----how would you compare the Imperial to a Fender Twin or Dual Professional? What do you think makes the Imperial better ----as far as tone?

Gary F.
04-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi Gasman. Never played through a dual professional. It is my understanding that Fender discontinued them in '02. With the combo of 100 w, trem & reverb, it looks interesting. I guess so much of finding the 'right' amp depends upon one's style and the kind of band you're in. I have always found Twins to be piercingly loud (and heavy!). Yet there's that famous picure of Clapton & BB sitting on their Twins in the 60's. You gotta figure they both probably sounded like themselves.

Steve Carr must have used the twin as a model, isolated it's shortcomings and took it to the next level. It is a clean p-to-p hand-built amp that is really muscular. Like many boutique amps, it's bulletproof (although I had a 6L6 go bad early on which Steve immediately replaced 2-day ground). With a solid state rectifier, it lacks what has become known as "sag." Notes and chords punch through really authoritatively, whether clean or with OD upfront. It works beatufully with my clean to overdriven (and derivative, smile) playing style. Oh, and it's about 20 lbs. lighter than a Twin, if that matters to you.

If you don't live near a store that carries Carr, most stores will give you an approval period with Carr amps. If shipping becomes and issue, try a Rambler. It really is like a smaller version of the Imperial. Less expensive to send back if you don't like it.

And if you haven't done so already, check out www.carramps.com and download David Wilson's Tone Quest review. Could be helpful in your decision-making process. Good luck!