PDA

View Full Version : Saw The Concert For George Last Night

Stan Malinowski
03-28-2004, 08:26 AM
PBS aired the "Concert For George" last night. It was the tribute to George Harrison. Great lineup - Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Albert Lee, George's Son, Billy Preston, Jim Capaldi, Ringo, Paul, etc.

It was very touching to see the appreciation George's friends had for him and his music.

I particulary liked Paul starting off Something on a ukalalee (sp?). He did the first verse or so on the uke before the others joined in. Paul said it was quite common for the ukes to come out after dinner at George's home when he had dinner guests. Paul said he used to play Something on the uke at these occassions.

Roy (maybe) you are 100% right about George's contribution to music!

michaelomiya
03-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
PBS aired the "Concert For George" last night. It was the tribute to George Harrison. Great lineup - Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Albert Lee, George's Son, Billy Preston, Jim Capaldi, Ringo, Paul, etc.

It was very touching to see the appreciation George's friends had for him and his music.

I particulary liked Paul starting off Something on a ukalalee (sp?). He did the first verse or so on the uke before the others joined in. Paul said it was quite common for the ukes to come out after dinner at George's home when he had dinner guests. Paul said he used to play Something on the uke at these occassions.

Roy (maybe) you are 100% right about George's contribution to music!

Stan, I just p/u'd this DVD this weekend as well. The Monty Python stuff is too hilarious! And of course the tunes were incredible, and performances inspired.

Also, Paul does the same in the Back in the US DVD during Something as well. Also check out the Beatles Anthology DVD's - in the last DVD there's footage of George, Paul and Ringo in George's garden, jamming on ukeleles.

Stan Malinowski
03-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Mike,

The Lumberjack Song was great!!!! I got a kick out of Tom Hanks!

I will have to pickup the anthology DVD along with the Concert For George DVDs. Some great glimpes of music history.

michaelomiya
03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Mike,

The Lumberjack Song was great!!!! I got a kick out of Tom Hanks!

I will have to pickup the anthology DVD along with the Concert For George DVDs. Some great glimpes of music history.

stan, I gotta say that I was NOT prepared for the waiters' attire when they turned around to the audience!:eek: :eek: :eek: now perhaps there's something to be said for americans' puritanical or quakerish virtues. but 4 old guys are not what I want to look at (even if 2 of them are eric idle and terry gilliam) during a tribute to George!:D
mike