PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Cobra w/ 3P90s played through a Mini Z amp...

mojocaster
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Holy cow, that was fun.

Link to the video of my Anderson Cobra played through a Dr Z Mini Z amp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woms-PY1M6w)

P90s + dirty tones = Blues Heaven :)

theatomicjeff
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Nice! I love my Z Amps.

mojocaster
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks!

I agree. I love my Dr Zs as well. I have a Carmen Ghia and a Mini Z, and I am thinking about getting a Maz Jr to add to the family. It's addictive :)

theatomicjeff
03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice collection! I think Z's are perhaps the best amps on the planet.

pipedwho
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Holy $#!^ that sounded awesome.

That Cobra has 'blues' written all over it. ;)

mojocaster
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
What? Someone wrote all over my Cobra??? :D

Yeah, three P90s are good for the blues. and the soul! :)

mbrown3
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I've never really liked Dr. Zs...lots of people do, but I've never been able to get a tone I've liked, even after lots of dialing and trying. But I have to admit, that sounds pretty good. I'm not a big P90 guy, so maybe that's part of it too. Anyway, sounds really good!

mojocaster
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I've never really liked Dr. Zs...lots of people do, but I've never been able to get a tone I've liked, even after lots of dialing and trying. But I have to admit, that sounds pretty good. I'm not a big P90 guy, so maybe that's part of it too. Anyway, sounds really good!

Thanks.

I have two Dr Zs, the Mini Z and the Carmen Ghia, neither of which you can tweak since there are no knobs to tweak... which is what I love about them.

Brad Paisley once said that it's impossible to get a bad tone out of a Carmen Ghia, and I agree with him 100%.

While I may add more amps to the family at some point, at this stage I am extremely happy with those two Zs. Now I just need to get a 1x10 or 1x12 cab for the Mini Z :)

mbrown3
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, and I like being able to tweak! :) I think the ones I tried were the MAZ18 and MAZ38, and the Route 66, and I couldn't get a tone I liked out of any of them. It all sounded too midrangy/nasally to me, which is fine as an option, if you want it, but not as the ONLY sound. I also thought they broke up too easily, which is also fine if you want it, but I like to start VERY clean and go from there, and couldn't do that on the Dr. Zs. It was also in a music store, although it was a fairly small one and I was the only person in there, but with my Anderson HDTC and my Baker B1, I couldn't find a tone I really resonated with. My MOD50, on the other hand, the minute I plugged it in, I LOVED it, and all variations from there were just different flavors of love. :cool:

Having said that, of course, there are LOTS of people who love the Dr. Zs and get some great tones out of them, so I may not have spent enough time with them, or tried the right models. I've read only great stuff about them from the people that use/love them, and your clip sounds very good. So I may need to give them another chance some time. Of course, it will just be to twiddle around with, though (and not to look at acquiring one), since all of my amp GAS has gone away since the MOD50. But it might be a fun afternoon experiment some time. Or maybe I can talk Bruce into building me a module that will cop a Dr. Z type of sound. Hmm...

In any case, very cool guitar and great clip. Keep up the good work!

mojocaster
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, and I like being able to tweak! :) I think the ones I tried were the MAZ18 and MAZ38, and the Route 66, and I couldn't get a tone I liked out of any of them. It all sounded too midrangy/nasally to me, which is fine as an option, if you want it, but not as the ONLY sound. I also thought they broke up too easily, which is also fine if you want it, but I like to start VERY clean and go from there, and couldn't do that on the Dr. Zs. It was also in a music store, although it was a fairly small one and I was the only person in there, but with my Anderson HDTC and my Baker B1, I couldn't find a tone I really resonated with. My MOD50, on the other hand, the minute I plugged it in, I LOVED it, and all variations from there were just different flavors of love. :cool:

Having said that, of course, there are LOTS of people who love the Dr. Zs and get some great tones out of them, so I may not have spent enough time with them, or tried the right models. I've read only great stuff about them from the people that use/love them, and your clip sounds very good. So I may need to give them another chance some time. Of course, it will just be to twiddle around with, though (and not to look at acquiring one), since all of my amp GAS has gone away since the MOD50. But it might be a fun afternoon experiment some time. Or maybe I can talk Bruce into building me a module that will cop a Dr. Z type of sound. Hmm...

In any case, very cool guitar and great clip. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, and enjoy the tweakin' ;)

Rupe
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Sounds great! I was torn between a Prescription and a Matchless Chieftain back in '97...I went with the Matchless but it was a close call. I'd still like to add a Rt. 66 to the arsenal.

Nice little surprise at the end of that video as well...I definitely didn't expect to hear that :D

mojocaster
04-03-2008, 08:19 PM
ha ha, just tryin' to keep you on your toes ;)

Thanks for watching until the end!

I am a big fan of Dr Z Amps, so I may be biased, but you should get one ;)

thefunkyone
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I left a comment on youtube but also wanted to post here. Amazing tone! Really makes me want t Dr. Z. I also loved the little soulshine tease and the "nothing else matters" at the end.

SonicGator
04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
If you're looking for cleans, the Z StangRay is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard at any price point. Amazing chime and just :eek: when I played a TAG Classic > Keeley Compressor > Keeley Katana Boost > Dr. Z StangRay > Z 2x12 with Alnico Blues:cool:

mojocaster
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
If you're looking for cleans, the Z StangRay is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard at any price point. Amazing chime and just :eek: when I played a TAG Classic > Keeley Compressor > Keeley Katana Boost > Dr. Z StangRay > Z 2x12 with Alnico Blues:cool:

Yeah, that sounds like a great set up for sure!

Mystroe
04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
three p-90's = streetfighting with elegance