PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting bridge saddle height on Floyd Rose

michaelomiya
03-31-2008, 04:47 AM
tom, Bruce, et.al, I need to lower the action on the High E and/or increase the action on the B string of my ProAm. The operation involves saddle adjustment of a floyd rose bridge. Question: does the installation of a shim under the B string represent a MAJOR operation?

Other than the removal of the saddle, what else should I be aware of? (or should I just take to Bruce?:p )

tom
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
the only good way to fix saddle height on a floyd(they all need it), is with shims. we had some .005" stainless ones made here that we use. floyds are messy to adjust since everything locks down. the only snag is that you loose your intonation adjustment when you loosen the saddle to put in the shim. you could give it a try or certainly bruce could do it.

michaelomiya
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
the only good way to fix saddle height on a floyd(they all need it), is with shims. we had some .005" stainless ones made here that we use. floyds are messy to adjust since everything locks down. the only snag is that you loose your intonation adjustment when you loosen the saddle to put in the shim. you could give it a try or certainly bruce could do it.

thanks tom! I've noticed that Schaller sells Floyd Rose saddles by height (strings 1/6, 2/5, 3/4). Are these the same saddles that are received when you purchase the entire locking bridge unit, or does the factory have to recreate the neck contour with shims?
thanks!
m.

tom
03-31-2008, 01:25 PM
the saddles are 3 sizes, fits none. the B and A are always too low, and they vary from piece to piece so shimming is always required.
but to answer the question, yes these are the three you need, 2 of each.

bruce
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Michael,

Just a note here.. it is typical that the low E is slightly higher. But we can have a look at it too. Just hoping to save you a long drive.

michaelomiya
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Michael,

Just a note here.. it is typical that the low E is slightly higher. But we can have a look at it too. Just hoping to save you a long drive.

Bruce, thanks! No in this case, it's the high E that feels too high, relative to the B string. When pulling off on the B string, my pinky's "catching" the high E, which feels off. I'm definitely not going to fiddle with your set-up (innonating a floyd is a pain!). I'll call you and endure a long drive.:p
thanks!
m.