PDA

View Full Version : Different pup for my Drop Top?

Road King
03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
This is a question I'm kinda hoping Tom could help me with but I would like to hear the opinions of others. My Hollow Drop Top T is swamp ash with a quilted maple top. A little scooped in the mids by design I know. The bridge pup is an H2+ which seems a little hot to me. What pup would you recommend to make my guitar sound like a Paul..............just kidding. :D What I would like to hear is a little more balanced tone. Mine accentuates the highs very well and drives a bit too hard. I would rather have the amp and pedals do the driving when called for.

Thanks for the always great opinions.

Brad

pipedwho
03-26-2008, 01:52 AM
For a sound more like a traditional PAF (eg, like a Paul :D ), the HO1+ in the bridge is a good solution. I put one into a Schecter solid mahogany bodied guitar and it sounded great - it replaced a JB, which I felt was a little too edgy.

I love the sound of the H3 in my Drop Top, it's not going anywhere. Although, I'm torn on the H2+ in my Cobra - it does, however, sound awesome after I've wound down the tone control a little to roll off the extra treble. This keeps me from trying to change it out - maybe to an H3. Who knows. :)

John Price
03-26-2008, 07:14 AM
I've owned several Anderson's with the H2+ pickup in them and always swapped it out for either the H01+ or the HO2. Both are great sounding pickups that have a smoother more balanced frequency response. depending on what other pickups you have I would try the HO1+ first!.... For me the HO series matches up great with single coils.. but I've had a cobra with 2 HO's that simply sounded awesome!..... Hmmmm! were is that guitar now?......:D

Have Fun!....

kurt1981
03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I am having this same problem, with virtually the same guitar. I'm not thrilled with the bridge or neck pickups, H2+ and H1 respectively. I want more of a fat jazz tone from the neck, and a bit more warmth from the bridge. Only thing I love about the H2+ is it sounds great split. I think these pickups are fantastic for a more rock oriented sound, and they do that very well when I've been in that situation, but I do a lot more of the robben ford type stuff with this guitar, and am hoping to get a more balanced tone.

tom
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
pickups really need to be matched with the rest of your gear. for a while my rig was dialed in real nice with my standard h2. when i took a guitar loaded with an ho1+ it was way too edgy for me, not enough oomph. you can certainly try something weaker, but have you tried lowering the pickup a lot? you might be surprised.

Road King
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Nope, haven't thought about that. A little too obvious for a guy thats only been playing for 30 years. I'll try it tonight at rehearsal and post back.

Brad