PDA

View Full Version : Alder Classic with HBs?

JoeB63
08-30-2003, 11:56 PM
I have an alder classic with VA's and a Cobra. I'm thinking that a Classic with 2 HB's might be the best of both worlds.

Has anyone played a TA configured like that?

Also will TA sell a new pickguard wired up for that config?

sonsop
08-31-2003, 12:03 AM
how about hum/single/hum?

boing!

sonsop
08-31-2003, 12:05 AM
joe,

not to hijack your thread but since we only have like five people that post regularly; what's your cobra and the classic like?
alsoJOE

Stan Malinowski
08-31-2003, 05:45 AM
I've never played, or even seen, a HB/HB classic. What I have played that might be close is a PRS SAS. Alder would probably be a bit less bright and have more mids than the SAS.

Anderson will make you replacement pickguards if you contact them.

John Price
08-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Joe, I would guess that it depends on how your guitar is routed under the pickgaurd???? if its pooled then you could set it up for Hum/Hum but if its routed for S/S/S then you need to get it drilled!!!!:cool:

Stan Malinowski
08-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Good point John! If you look in the Anderson catalog there is a picture of a Classic body without the pickguard. It's not a swimming pool rout, but it is enlarged in both the neck and bridge positions to accomodate buckers. I would defintely check with Roy before proceeding though!

sonsop
08-31-2003, 11:14 AM
anderson routes for hum/single/hum on the classic strat style body.

JoeB63
08-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by sonsop
joe,

not to hijack your thread but since we only have like five people that post regularly; what's your cobra and the classic like?
alsoJOE

Joe,
The Cobra really is like a Les Paul with a Tele shape. It's probably not quite as thick sounding as a LP, but I believe it has a bit more clarity -- and that's a good thing. The split pickup tones are good, as good or better than any other split HB sounds, but not as good as real single coil tones. There is a big volume drop off in positions 2 and 4. Great all purpose guitar that sounds great and play great. I'd like anough one with a trem.

The Classic is a Strat with all of the normal Strat difficiencies fixed. More comfortable shape, better balance, better heel, flatter fretboard , bigger frets, Buzz Feiten (and that's such a good thing), stays perfectly in tune all night. I will say that I like the neck PU tone better on my Relic Strat, but that's a small trade off and it can be EQ'd out for the most part. I do wish the '62 Roundback neck ws a tiny bit thinner though -- just a tiny bit.