PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

TommyK
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm a newbie as well, and I have to say this is a great site! I already found an answer to my Lone Star question, and am enjoying all the other information available. I still cannot believe that Tom weighs in from time to time...How cool is that!

Oh, and it's on order... A hollow Atom due toward the end of the month!

pipedwho
03-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Welcome!

It's an exciting time while you're waiting for your custom TAG. Only a few weeks to go!

I just received a custom Cobra S a week ago after a 6 month wait. And let's just say that I'm still on a high! :D

dannopelli
03-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Welcome! This is a cool site!

Once you get your Atom we'll teach you the secret handshake!

TommyK
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! I do have one more thing...Any opinions about Koch amps? Specifically the Studiotone or Multitone? I've been reading some mixed opinions. I've also read about some transformer problems? I've narrowed my choices down to the Lone Star classic or a Koch (O.K. I saw Dimeola a while back in a small club in Cleveland and, of course, it sounded great). but I digress...

dannopelli
03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I would go with the Boogie. To my ear Koch are very sterile and harsh.

The Lone Star I must admit is one of their better efforts. I think you'll be happier with it long term.

That said for the price of the Boogie I'd get a Dr Z Maz 38 and a couple of good OD/Distortion pedals.

TommyK
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I just read some of your posts on the amp/cab section. Looks like I'll be checking out a Dr. Z .
Man I love this forum.
Especially the harmonic discussions of wooden legs!

dannopelli
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I just read some of your posts on the amp/cab section. Looks like I'll be checking out a Dr. Z .
Man I love this forum.
Especially the harmonic discussions of wooden legs!

You should see the one about pedal boards! Or the various humidity threads!

We can get a little geeky here...

But all these guys are SUPER. Everyone from club players to praise players to touring pros to session cats.

It is REALLY cool in here.

TommyK
03-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm guessin'! Thanks again for the guidance.
I'm gonna go practice my flippin' head off !

Pietro
03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Welcome, Tommy!

picnic
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Welcome TommyK,
I had a Koch Twintone and agree the Jensen speakers had a slightly sterile sound. I put in a Emi RWB and it softened up the tone. Head to head with my Allen Accomplice, I liked the Koch more and sold the Allen. The Koch is gone now too. Amp merry-go-round!
I have also had the LSC was very happy with it. Of course I sold it. Great mix of Fender Twin and Deluxe. I'm currently on a honeymoon with a Lonestar Special. I don't know which amp the LSS is based, but it does its own thing very well.
I would go with either Mesa before the Koch.

TommyK
03-26-2008, 08:29 AM
thanks again! Mesa wins!
And now, once again, I'm gonna go practice!

csd
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Ya man, welcome aboard! I'm not a Boogie guy, their tone controls don't work! Good luck.

dannopelli
03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Ya man, welcome aboard! I'm not a Boogie guy, their tone controls don't work! Good luck.

hmmm...

Got to respectively disagree. I have owned a few. Still have a 1x12 F30 with a V30 . Boogies tone controls just work differently than typical amps. Once you get it down you can dial in some pretty good tones. I have a really good friend that gets Killer tones from a Maverick, which is for most people a frighteningly difficult amp to coax a tone from. I believe Kevin Eubanks uses one of those and he gets a good sound.

But you are dead right that they do require a learning curve and for many folks it is just not worth it in a world with so many good amps.

IMHO, the Lonestar is a really good effort. The Marks for the most part are great too. The Recto series are really great rock amps.

I find that the reverb on them is not so good other than the Lonestar.

One thing I find is Mesa really seems to like to ship with Russian preamp tubes. In fact a lot of builders do that. I suppose that is because they are more durable. But to my ear, I find the Chinese tubes to be warmer. I put Groove Chinese in all my amps and it has made a world of difference.

Any way, just my .02!

TommyK
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey, Danno it shipped today. It goes to Wildwood for fine tuning then out to me in Cleveland.
As soon as I get it, I want to know the secret handshake.

dannopelli
04-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh the secret handshake? LOL!!!!:D

That is how your hands are going to shake the first time you hold it.

In fact I still get exceited every time I play one of my Anderson's. They just always sound good!

Good luck and rememeber to post picks in the Cobra Corner!

Road King
04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
O, hand....shake, I get it.:D