PDA

View Full Version : intonation and sustain

chadmj
03-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I would like to get a better understanding of intonation and notes sustaining. It seems that with my Cobra it sustained notes longer on my first string around the 14th fret. I know it needs to be professionally set up again to get everything right with the intonation. I am not comfortable doing that myself. What would it take for me to be comfortable setting up the intonation?

Can this be a cause of notes sustaining less or do you think that gear plays into it? (gear has not changed in a year)

Thanks.

Chad

dannopelli
03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Intonation is pretty easy but if you do not do it a lot, and are not used to BFTS it is best to spend the bucks and take it to a pro. Figure it like this: you have a $2000-$3000 guitar. Would you try to tune the engine on a Porsche if you only did it once every year or so?

Just be sure to take it to a shop that sells high end gear like Anderson, or Suhr, that has a qualified tech that you can meet and talk with. Maybe he'll watch you play a bit too. The big box stores tend to not get it right. The guy who does my work gets a lot of business from folks who have to have a "re-do" from the big chain stores.

As far as sustain, I know that all guitars have sweet spots. Some are really exagerrated. I had a Strat once that sustained for days on the G string D note. Not so much elsewhere. I do find that all my Andys do not suffer that condition. I would attribute that in a large part to the quality and build controls, but I am sure the BFTS make a difference too. I have some pretty high end guitars from other manufacturers and none are as consistent as the TA's.

bruce
03-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Setting the intonation is the last thing that is performed after the neck, nut, bridge saddles, and new strings have all been adjusted to their optimum which is referred to as a "set up." I would say take it to a qualified repair person that knows and fully understands the Buzz Feiten Tuning System. If they don't know what that is, keep looking. Expect to pay in the $60-$85 range for a pro set up.

chadmj
03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
great, thank you for the replies.

I'll track down someone locally who can do that for me.

Chad

sylvanshine
03-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry to dig up a week old thread, but reading this got me thinking about a video I saw with Paul Reed Smith.

Go here http://www.harmony-central.com/theater/video/interviews/interviews_video.html

Find Paul Reed Smith clip #2 titled Woods, Neck, Fingerboards

I've never seen the properties of woods demonstrated like this. I understand now how each individual guitar can have it's own fundamental note sweet spot.

chadmj
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, that is interesting. Cool link.