PDA

View Full Version : Harem Shot

-CM-
03-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Sorry to repeat this from the Birds And Moons Forum, but here's my electric harem. Notice which guitar takes center stage.

http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/electrics03-04_sm.jpg
High res version here (http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/electrics03-04.jpg).

From left to right, front row:
'03 Anderson T Classic, Translucent Butterscotch
'03 PRS Hollowbody II, Royal Blue flame, double 10, birds, piezo
'03 PRS Custom 22, Purple Quilt, Artist Package
'03 Carvin AE185-12, Tobacco burst quilt, lotsa options
Middle Row:
'03 PRS Swamp Ash Special, Vintage Cherry
'03 Anderson Hollow Drop Top, Fire Burst flame
'02 PRS Custom 22 Soapbar, Ruby Red, one-piece top, birds, gold hardware
Top Row:
'03 Carvin Bolt-T, Tobacco Burst
'03 PRS Custom 24, Tortoise flame, Artist Package

GASMAN
03-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Very nice, CM. Don't mean to ignore our favorites out of the bunch (um, hummm)-----------but how do you like your Carvins?

-CM-
03-25-2004, 11:46 PM
The Carvins are really great values. I bought the Bolt-T used so that I could have a guitar that sits out on a stand all the time. (All the others stay in their cases when not in use.) The build quality is really impressive. I liked it so much I ordered the AE185-12 built to my specs. I had some customer service issues with Carvin on the 12-string (late shipping, no record of me calling to pay for it.) But I was so impressed with the guitar that I ordered a 6 string version from the customer service boss, who promised me satisfaction. Once again, they were late shipping, and had customer service issues. And when I got the guitar, I learned that Carvin had changed their neck profile significantly. They're quite thin now - too much so for me. They hadn't mentioned this when I ordered. :mad: So I decided to send the guitar back. They have a generous 10 day return policy and guarantee satisfaction. I attempted to see about getting another one made, but had difficulty getting responses to my emails. This went on awhile, and finally I cancelled the order completely. I'm still waiting on the refund. They're not to swift at that. I should point out that every time they screwed up, they gave me something for free, like shipping ($20), a cable ($15), a discount on the second guitar, etc. Frankly, I rather have what I order on time and to my specs rather than free stuff for screwups. The end result of all that for me is that I won't do business with them anymore. Good products, lousy frontmen.

But the guitars are nice. I wouldn't mind if either was my only guitar. Well, I wouldn't want just a 12-string, I guess, but I like it quite well.

It all worked out, though; after returning the Carvin, I still needed to get another guitar (why let GAS go to waste?) so I searched and found the Hollow Drop Top.

Sorry to ramble on so long.

GASMAN
03-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Interesting info CM. I've always read good reviews on Carvins but have never played one.
I recently got a nice used Hollow T (same color as yours). Mine is set up with 3 pickups-------so I've got a perfect strat/tele combo. It's at Anderson now having SS frets installed. Can't wait to get it back. You've sure got a nice collection.

mbrown3
03-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I've had a series of Carvin guitars over the years and they really are quite well made and a great value (they're obviously no TA, but good for their price - even for much higher price!). And when I first started buying from them their customer service was excellent. In the last few years, though, it has gone in the crapper. They make all kinds of mistakes on orders, never have any record of things, just seem all kinds of discombobulated. So I don't order much through them now either. It's a shame because a lot of their stuff really is good stuff and great value. My main 100W amp is still a 212 that I've had for about 10 years, it's a trooper and has GREAT clean tone. Shame about their customer service because they do have a lot to offer.

BIG GINGER GIT
03-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Saw this on BAM and was well impressed, and jealous of course :( :D

Scott Peterson
03-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Whoa, 2003 was a good year then wasn't it? At least for your guitars it was!

Awesome shot. Love the range of stuff. The DT looks like it belongs in the center too. Dig the SAS man, tasty!!

Stan Malinowski
03-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Awesom collection CM!