PDA

View Full Version : Help with Grover Locking Tuners

MikeHil
03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
I just replaced my strings for the 1st time and think I did it wrong.

On the Grover Locking Tuners, does the string go between the top thumbwheel and the ring below or, below the ring?

Help! I want to play, I want to play.

MikeHil
03-23-2004, 09:42 PM
OK. Momentary freak-out session. I'm pretty sure I did it right, just didn't have the D string gripped completely.

All the same, if you have any tips on these little buggers, please let me know. I've never used them before.

But you already guessed that, right?:D

Scott Peterson
03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
If you have the ones I do on my Anderson - I hate them.

Sigh. :(

That said, I just loosen the top of the thumbscrew; wrap the proper string around the top so it is most all the way around the top and then tighten the thumbscrew. A few Xtra turns with the tool of your choice (I use TonePros adjustment wrenches) and you are done.

MikeHil
03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
When I first got them, I loved them, 10 minutes ago (due to user error) I hated them, but now I love them again.

Don't you think they make changing strings easier... when you do it right.

So, you're saying the string gets wrapped around directly underneath the thumbweheel, right? I can't see any other way - but I freaked out anyway. I can't be that stupid... or, so I though for a moment.

Where can you find the TonePros adjustment wrenches? Stewart Mac?

Thanks for responding so quickly Scott.

Stan Malinowski
03-24-2004, 07:13 AM
I can't agree with you more on those early Grovers! My 96 Koa HDTC came with these, I had them changed to the new style locking tuners when the neck was replaced.

Scott is right, the TonePros wrench is the perfect tool for loosening/tightening the screw on the early Grovers. Unfortunately I don't think they are available seperate from the set iteself.

dpeterson
03-24-2004, 07:53 AM
I use a nickel :) I'm debating replacing them on my classic if i end up keeping it. Still dont know about the 62 roundback carve, anyone have a standard carve 1 11/16ths classic neck they'll swap me? :)

Dave

Scott Peterson
03-24-2004, 09:12 AM
As dpeterson notes - coins work just as well.

I still hate those tuners. Nothing personal, just don't like them.