PDA

View Full Version : Koa Finishes

Shannon
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Tom (or Roy or whomever else is here )

Can any of you give me some examples (or at least good descriptions) of the different finishes available on KOA guitars... particularly the Crowdsters.

I have one about to be built (or in the process) there and I am told that I need to decide on the finish ASAP and I'm kind of wavering between the standard light edgeburst and medium edgeburst...

You guys don't have an EXAMPLES of these two side by side do you.

I completely understand that the grain will be unique and therefore no two will look EXACTLY the same (for the most part)but I'd like to get an idea of the color I'm going to end up with..

Also curious if you'd like to experiment with my C+ and go ahead and add that Bridge pickup while you're in there;) :D (It' doesn't hurt to ask)I'd even be willing to wait longer for it... haha.

Thanks guys.
Shannon

tom
02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
look up light shaded edge, shaded edge and cherry shaded edge in the guitar gallery on our sight. that will be all we have.

Shannon
02-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Will do..

Cherry shade is out for me because for some reason I have a Physiological AVERSION to the color red:p

Light and "shaded" are the two I'm considering.
BTW... John should be calling you guys on Tuesday to give you the final word on the color.. (he's been talking to Roy about this one all week.) I guess I'm full of questions all around... but HEY, it's a lot of money for me... (I'm relatively "earth poor") if you know what I mean

By the way, no Binding options on the Koa? John said it was called a "scrape binding" which essentially sounds like just the edge of the top finished.... is that right? Is it the only way on a Koa C+? Cause I'll tell ya, that HOLLOW ATOM with the shaded edge with binding would be the JAM for me on the C+...
Little darker overall, but the nice lighter binding to really make the GEE TAR pop!

look up light shaded edge, shaded edge and cherry shaded edge in the guitar gallery on our sight. that will be all we have.

tom
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
the "binding" is just the uncolored edge of the top.

enr1co
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
In conveying requirements with Roy, he had suggested the light shaded edge to maximize the natural color, look of the wood while also providing an ever so subtle accent for transition to the light brown stain of the mahogany body...

I thinks he nailed it :)

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3577307/2007/10/4/Copy_of_IMG_7383.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/aview/Copy_of_IMG_7369.JPG

Tom and team are the best in knowing what stains, finishes traditionally work best with the different woods (There's that word "best" again but you guys really are!) as well as with coming up with refreshing new colors, finishes.

...now a matching koa headstock would have been cool... but dont go there- I already walked that minefield ;)

kccheers
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Yup, Sheded Edge is the way....:)

http://kccheers.smugmug.com/photos/217103501_NiDLt-M.jpg

Shannon
02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Yup, Sheded Edge is the way....:)

http://kccheers.smugmug.com/photos/217103501_NiDLt-M.jpg

OK, so ONE of you says.. "LIGHT SHADED" and the OTHER says... ""SHADED"

I understand that those are BOTH options... so WHICH are your respective guitars? LIGHT shaded or just SHADED?

Help a brother out... (I have to tell them tomorrow which I want apparently)

Thanks,
Shannon

csd
02-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey Shannon, I think going with the 'shaded edge' rather than the light shaded edge might make the binding jump out at you a little more. It might depend on the actual piece of Koa that gets used as well. The contrast looks awesome in the previous pics. When the Koa jumps out, it makes you want to watch its nuances. IMHO, only my 2 cents! Good luck.

tom
02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
light shaded edge is a honey edge. shaded edge is brown but you can still see through it. kcheers photo looks somewhere in between.

Shannon
02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
light shaded edge is a honey edge. shaded edge is brown but you can still see through it. kcheers photo looks somewhere in between.

I kinda thought so too, but I was thinking that Enrico's might be "shaded' or maybe just a naturally darker piece of KOA.

CSD... I'm right with ya there and That was kind of my desire... to make the TOP of the guitar POP out at ya by having some contrast between it and the BINDING, but not having a HUGE difference between the body and the top...

Just have that nice, lighter binding really set the two main pieces of the guitar apart from one another.

I'm thinking "shaded" is the way I'm leaning...

I'm REALLY digging the look of Enr1co's Axe... I haven't even received my First Anderson and I'm already thinking about my second... ha--ha... (Tom's like a Columbian "king pin" he just puts the goods out there and all of us "addicts" just HAVE to get em)

tom
02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
unfortunately i have the same effect on myself though:o i'm jonesing for the latest version of the carve top and wondering if i should go in tonight and cut the body...naw, grandson matthew is comin' over. guitars can wait.

csd
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Grandson! You ain't old enough for a grandson!!!
Be Blessed bro. Enjoy your family.

csd

enr1co
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey Shannon, I think going with the 'shaded edge' rather than the light shaded edge might make the binding jump out at you a little more. It might depend on the actual piece of Koa that gets used as well. The contrast looks awesome in the previous pics. When the Koa jumps out, it makes you want to watch its nuances. IMHO, only my 2 cents! Good luck.

Pardon any confusion- the atom is "light shaded edge". As CSD states,
"shaded" will likely provide a little more contrast to the binding but also can vary based on the actual piece of koa.

Since koa can be light golden brown to honey brown to reddish brown to brown brown either the "light shaded" or "shaded" and even the "cherry shaded" works well to accetuate the natural koa wood hue and figure based on your preference.

Shannon
02-24-2008, 05:13 PM
"shaded" will likely provide a little more contrast to the binding but also can vary based on the actual piece of koa.

Since koa can be light golden brown to honey brown to reddish brown to brown brown either the "light shaded" or "shaded" and even the "cherry shaded" works well to accetuate the natural koa wood hue and figure based on your preference.

KOA is a Fantastic Creature, is it not?:)

That's why it's like Christmas in May for me... when I get my C+ and see it for the first time... I have NO IDEA what it's really gonna look like until that moment...
All of this is merely "calculated speculation" but I have a feeling the first time I actually PLAY it will be the REAL Christmas-like moment:D Because as of right now, the only C+ I've ever heard was on earthworm's vids on youtube.

Shannon
02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
unfortunately i have the same effect on myself though:o i'm jonesing for the latest version of the carve top and wondering if i should go in tonight and cut the body...naw, grandson matthew is comin' over. guitars can wait.

That tells me two GREAT things about Tom Anderson the man...

ONE: You have a true passion for what you do...
and
TWO: You have your priorities in order...

Both things I admire in a man....

Forget the fact that you're an incredible guitar builder.;)

That's what you do.. not WHO you are (ever heard that one before gramps?:p)

Pietro
02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Tom...

Must be nice to work in what you love...
...oh, wait a minute... I do work in what I love.

Never mind...

Tell the grandson all us lunatics say hi.

kccheers
02-24-2008, 08:43 PM

So, Enrico's says "light shaded edge", and my Crowdster says" shaded edge". I did ask Roy for a more "pronounced shade" than the one they did for E. They are brothers, however, as they came from the same piece of wood.....
(Thanx again, E)

akivisuals
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
You guys are killing me... :o Those koa guitars are beautiful kccheers and enr1co! Someday, I'd love to have a koa model myself. Until then I guess I can live with my maple top.

Personally, I love the shaded edge. I think it gives a bit more separation between the binding, back and top edges. But, yes the wood definitely can favor one over the other.

Shannon
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
You guys are killing me... :o Those koa guitars are beautiful kccheers and enr1co! Someday, I'd love to have a koa model myself. Until then I guess I can live with my maple top.

Personally, I love the shaded edge. I think it gives a bit more separation between the binding, back and top edges. But, yes the wood definitely can favor one over the other.

Yeah, that's the "rub" as they say... It really all depends on the wood, but I DO prefer that the binding stand out a bit on this style guitar... That's why I'm thinking "shaded."
Either way, I am anticipating it being the best guitar I've ever owned in EVERY way, so They have their work cut out for them... :D OK, that might be a little over the top... but it surely should be the best "amplified acoustic that looks like an electric and even sounds like one if needed..."

Plus... It will be purrty..:p

akivisuals
02-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Yep. I played my C+ at church today. I'm still struck by how playable it is and how good it sounds amplified.

I used the Yamaha AG stomp but was having some difficulty getting a good balance out of the eq. The last time out I was using my Baggs para D.I. and got some good tones.

Shannon
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Yep. I played my C+ at church today. I'm still struck by how playable it is and how good it sounds amplified.

I used the Yamaha AG stomp but was having some difficulty getting a good balance out of the eq. The last time out I was using my Baggs para D.I. and got some good tones.

Speaking of that, I'm looking for an AG stomp to buy, so if you know of any available... I'd be interested.

That should complete my rig (for now anyway:p )