PDA

View Full Version : New Member and new TAG owner

strat56
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and a brand new TAG owner. Just bought a Drop Top Classic from Garrett Park Guitars here in Maryland. I have some Fenders and PRS' and few other brands. The main band I'm playing in is 95% country but I also occasionally do some fill in work with classic rock and blues bands.

I use a Marshall TSL100 half stack, a Fender Twin Amp, a Rivera Quiana 1X12 and a Fender Blues Jr. for amps.

I've only had the guitar for a few days and only been able to play it thru the Fender Twin Amp and without my pedal board, but it sounds awesome thru that amp and I think it'll be versatile enough to cover whatever gig comes along.

I guess I really don't need to tell you all how great the guitar is, the finish is impeccable, the construction is tight and flawless, the tone of the M pickups is exactly what I was looking for. I can leave them in humbucker mode and roll the tone back a little to make them sound like hot single coils, roll the tone back to get a good humbucker sound or switch to single coils.

Looking forward to spending some time here and enjoying everyones company.

Thanks,
Jack

pipedwho
02-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the forum! Nice axe!

...and extra props for posting great pics. :D

dannopelli
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
HEY MAN NICE GEETAR!

Welcome to the forum. One of mine is a VERY similar axe, different color and maple fretboard, but it covers just about everything. Those M's are just the bomb!

Gonna make your other guitars jealous...

See you on the pages!

strat56
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
In stumbling my way around the site and the TAG website, I've learned that the Kickback switch on my guitar, that I thought was a coil splitter, actually leaves the pickups in humbucker mode and changes the tone to sound like a single coil. That is so cool!! Tom Anderson is a genius!!

Also I guess I'm going to have to try an Egnater MOD amp, members around here seem to be very happy with them.

Thanks,
Jack

mbrown3
02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
+10 on the kickback, and +1,000,000 on the MOD50. Both incredible.

picnic
02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome. I played a Classic with a similiar pup layout at NAMM last month. It was a very sweet sounding guitar. More like amazing sounding guitar.

Good Luck with it

strat56
02-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Where did you guys buy your Egnater amps? I went to their site and they only have like 3 dealers, none near me and I'm not one to just buy something without trying it first.

Thanks,
Jack

tom
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
got it from them, but heard a friends first.

michaelomiya
02-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Where did you guys buy your Egnater amps? I went to their site and they only have like 3 dealers, none near me and I'm not one to just buy something without trying it first.

Thanks,
Jack

Hey Jack welcome! Nice DT Classic.
On the Egnater, you can either go directly and deal with Jeff Hilligan, Frank or Bruce, or go to a dealer.

I've got a MOD100 on order with CowTown guitars in Las Vegas (BMan, SL2 and EG5). Larry Rossi's very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Either way, you can't go wrong! (check out the EG5 if you go the modular way)

If you can, try out the Tourmaster 4100 - it's got something similar to the simul-class/ClassA switch on the old MB Mark series heads (down to like 10W?). The tone's are really really close to the modular MOD50/100's IMHO. GC's starting to carry 'em. I just played 3 of them in at the Cerritos, Hollywood and WestLA GC's. All 3 are consistently ROCKING!!!
mike

strat56
02-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey Jack welcome! Nice DT Classic.
On the Egnater, you can either go directly and deal with Jeff Hilligan, Frank or Bruce, or go to a dealer.

I've got a MOD100 on order with CowTown guitars in Las Vegas (BMan, SL2 and EG5). Larry Rossi's very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Either way, you can't go wrong! (check out the EG5 if you go the modular way)

If you can, try out the Tourmaster 4100 - it's got something similar to the simul-class/ClassA switch on the old MB Mark series heads (down to like 10W?). The tone's are really really close to the modular MOD50/100's IMHO. GC's starting to carry 'em. I just played 3 of them in at the Cerritos, Hollywood and WestLA GC's. All 3 are consistently ROCKING!!!
mike

What is the EG5, I don't see a description of it on the Egnater web site? I was definitely going to look at the MOD50. Since I have a good multi-pupose guitar, looks like I'll only need a backup in case of a broken string, I was thinking maybe the Egnater MOD50 would be a good multi-purpose amp.

I don't do anything that couldn't be covered by the T/D module and the SL module it looks like. My younger brother is starting up another 80's metal cover band and if I play any gig's with him I'm guessing the SL module could cover that or any classic rock and the T/D could cover country and blues.

I have a Rivera Quiana, runs 6L6's, now that I use that does that for me almost, it has an awesome clean channel, very Fendery, and the dirty channel is very Marshally but it won't quite cover 80's Metal.

I was reading about a company called Port City Amps in Vintage Guitar that has a cabinet design that captures the sound coming out of the back of the speaker and pushes it out the front of the cabinet, which if it works is a great idea. I know with my open back combos sometimes the sound coming from the back of the amp is fatter than what's coming from the front.

Thanks,
Jack

michaelomiya
02-24-2008, 01:58 PM
What is the EG5, I don't see a description of it on the Egnater web site?

Hey Jack, the EG5 is Egnater's latest HI-gain module - think SLO and Warren DeMartini on "Lay it Down". It takes SL2 and goes into the next level without unnecessary compression. The EG5 will cut like no other module. It is cool at bedroom levels, but unreal in a gigging situation. According to Jeff Hilligan, the EG5 will be replacing the MHG (Modern Hi Gain) module.

(The MHG sounds thick and full at lower volumes and with no bass player or kick drum. Now move it into a band situation with bass and kick and you are trying to get it to cut so you turn the mid knob and it just gets nasal and doesnt fit in the mix.)

There are some who will say that the EG5 is bright. Dialed in incorrectly, IMHO, the EG5 can be extremely bright. When you start to move air, say gigging levels, run the treble at 9 or 10 tops - with the presence off. And as the volume increases the speakers can cause more high end to be heard (vs the bass) by our ears. YMMV!

I was definitely going to look at the MOD50. Since I have a good multi-pupose guitar, looks like I'll only need a backup in case of a broken string, I was thinking maybe the Egnater MOD50 would be a good multi-purpose amp.

also check out the Tourmaster 4100 - $1399, no waiting, and tone for days!

I don't do anything that couldn't be covered by the T/D module and the SL module it looks like. My younger brother is starting up another 80's metal cover band and if I play any gig's with him I'm guessing the SL module could cover that or any classic rock and the T/D could cover country and blues.

I originally ordered the TD module due to its blooooom and chime (but went with the BMan). Great choice - that'll be my next mod. Your brother will love the EG5!