PDA

View Full Version : switching question

kurt1981
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey all, wondering if there's a way to change my switcharoo? I am wanting both parallel and split coil mode from my bridge pickup, not just either or. Is there a way to override the bottom position of the switch which is currently series with either other option? Hope this makes sense,
Kurt

dannopelli
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.andersonguitars.com/switcheroo.html

Check out this link and see if it helps.

pipedwho
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM
What kurt seems to want is some easy way to swap the function of the internal switch with the corresponding external switch. So the new 'internal' switch could be left in the non-series position, and the external switch could select between the split/parallel options.

I don't know how easy that would be, since the internal switches are directly mounted to a PCB.

kurt1981
02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
That's exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for putting it more understandably. I hope it is possible, otherwise I'll have to keep the back plate off my guitar. It seems like it'd be cool since you have the bridge in series anyway with the blower switch.

tom
02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
i am but a simple guitarmaker and your technical speak and modern ways confuse me.
do you want the down position to be parallel and up to be split? noseries except on the blower?
there is a mod for that but it involves cutting a trace or two on the pcb.

kurt1981
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
That'd be what I was after, sorry Tom, for not putting it clearly, but yes, that's the idea. How complex a mod is this, and it seems like I'd need to send it to you guys, no?
Thanks and again, my apoligies for not putting this in a more clear way,
Kurt

tom
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
it's not that hard to do, but it would making it back to stock pretty tough. you really want parallel on the stacks? i only ask because that was really populer back in the super processed days, but don't see it much any more.

kurt1981
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Tom, I think my problem is I want a true single coil sound out of my neck humbucker, and I don't think that's really possible. I just wish I had an HSS config instead of the two full-size hums and a stacked middle pickup. Are there any full sized humbuckers that will sound like that?
Thanks
Kurt

pipedwho
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Which full size humbucker do you currently have in the neck? If you have a pick guard, it isn't difficult to change the configuration to HSS if that's what you prefer.

tom
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
those are two good questions.

kurt1981
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, it's a droptop T, hollow one, and no pickguard. It currently has the H1 in the neck, sd1 middle and h2+ in the bridge. I'm not sure if I could swap out for singles, doesn't seem likely.

pipedwho
02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
You could try an H1- in the neck. But, if you're after a glassy single coil neck pickup, you're better off trading that guitar for one that has the pickup configuration you're after.

tom
02-27-2008, 07:15 PM
if you put in a hotter humbucker, the split will be better. but of course the humbucker will also be hotter and darker. take your pick. there's no elegant way to turn a humbucker hole into a single coil hole.

kurt1981
02-28-2008, 07:34 AM
That was my other thought, put an H2+ in the neck and see how that sounded split, it may be kind of cool.
Thanks guys, I wish there was a humbucker sized single coil!!!!!
Kurt

strat56
02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
That was my other thought, put an H2+ in the neck and see how that sounded split, it may be kind of cool.
Thanks guys, I wish there was a humbucker sized single coil!!!!!
Kurt

Duncan makes this humbucker sized P90 (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/sph901_phat_cat/).

kurt1981
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Has anyone heard one of those duncans? I'd like to keep tom's pickups in there if at all possible, but maybe it's worth a shot trying the duncan,

tom
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
if it's a p90, that's nothing like a strat style pickup.

pipedwho
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
You could also have a look a Seymour Duncan's new P-Rails pickup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhJXcSVnfs

Switchable between a P90, a traditional single coil and a humbucker sound.

Before going that way, though, I'd try the H2+. IMO an Anderson pickup in an Anderson is how it should always be. ;)