PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Reid

fusionman67
02-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Do any of you guys like Vernon Reid (Living Colour)? He has a new side group (among many) going now, called The Free Form Funky Freqs. Its kind of free form/funk/rock/jazz/fusion type stuff. Anyway, check it out.

P.S. This is not SPAM, I do not work for the record company, nor am I associated with VR in any way...Just trying to turn you guys on....:cool: :D

SonicGator
02-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Great player. Not many people know that much about him besides the the hit "Cult of Personality." It's funny, because I've heard other stuff by him, but I always think of the video to that song when his name is mentioned and the 80's guitar he's playing in that video.

fusionman67
02-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah, thats true. That was their biggest hit, and people do associate him with that. I found that Vernon is very can be very broad in his playing. Jazz, funk, metal, fusion, rock, he plays it all. He is very well rounded I guess you could say. He does alot of side projects, which I try to keep up with, and listen to....

Janine Doubly
02-16-2008, 01:39 PM
"Burnin'" Vernon!!!!! I was a HUGE fan of his during the Living Colour days. Great player, strange tones and soloing ideas, but DEFINITELY unique. Some of his more "out there" jazz stuff can be a challenge, but there is no doubt he is gifted and on a musical quest of his own making. I loved his writing for the first LC album. Lots of great riffs and funky comping.

fusionman67
02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, he does have his own unique playing style, thats for sure. I dig it alot....

dkaplowitz
02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up on his new project. I definitely dig where he's coming from, his influences and his attitude in general and about music. Very cool guy. I'll check out the new stuff.

P.S. Found their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/freeformfunkyfreqs), you can hear samples there. Man, he's really tearin' it up on that first clip!

thefunkyone
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I have ALL the Living Colour albums along with the stuff he did with Masque. (very trippy)

Vernon is probably one of my top 10 favorite players. I have always loved his work, it goes so far beyond Cult of Personality. On Vivid the tune "broken hearts" has to be one of the greatest ballads every sung with one of the coolest and funkiest bass AND guitar solo's. His use of volume swells on the rhythm of that tune is great too. There is some good stuff on Times Up as well. I could go on all day about Vernons playing.

He has had a few side projects but I have not checked out this latest one. I'll have to look into it.