PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Guitar?

mbrown3
03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
For all you guys who have multiple Andy's (and/or other brands too), curious as to which is your favorite and why (body wood, pickups, "mojo," etc.)?

Stys
03-22-2004, 03:36 PM
For me, I have too say that the Classic with VA's and the 'T' Classic are my favorites. Anderson VA's sound incredible through any amp while the 'T' has such a cool vibe to it. My 'T' is Ice Blue with a mint guard, vintage Anderson tele pickups with a chrome cover on the neck pickup. Classics are in various colors but all have a '62 roundback neck.

Stan Malinowski
03-22-2004, 04:10 PM
At this point in time I would have to declare a tie between:

1) Swamp Ash Classic/Maple Neck/Maple Board/VA Booster PU Setup
and
2) HDTC, Swamp Ash Back/Maple Top/Maple Neck/Madag RW Board/VA Booster PU Setup

I am with Mark (Stys) - I love the VA pickups!

ToneLounge
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Cobra Deluxe

Spalted Maple/Mahogany
3 minis: M1/M1/M2
Custom 5-way
Powerbridge

I'm super happy!

Brian

pluto
03-22-2004, 08:18 PM
My favorite Anderson of all time is my old Anderson Hollow T that I no longer own :( . I loved it because it for sentimental reasons since it was my first Anderson and also for tone-that guitar could cover everything-from pop to rock to metal. What a versatile tone machine. My favorite current Anderson is the only one that I own now-a cobra s. The neck is a tad too thick for me so it's a bit difficult to play. But tone wise, I've never heard of any other guitar that sounded so killer with Bogner amps. The Cobra S and Bogner (shiva, uber, xtc) combination is simply magic. I may send it to Tom to have the neck shaved a little and the nut switched but I do worry about how such effect will affect the tone of that guitar.

andersonguy
03-23-2004, 12:15 AM
After owning, at some time or other, many different TAG guitars, I have struck pure gold with my DTC with personalize choice quilt top over alder back, '62 roundback neck, madigascar rosewood(juicy). This thing just plays and sounds fantastic, I love it. I have an (as of yet never done color) alder classic due in April with the VA's and same neck, it will be my main axe to play out as the top on my current fav is almost too beautiful to take to a club gig.:D They are all great but I love this one even more than my new hollow T classic, which rocks BTW.

AG

MikeHil
03-23-2004, 02:00 AM
I have 2 and deciding a favorite would be unfair as I love them both.

1. Basswood/Maple DropTop - definitely the rocker of the two. H3+ in the bridge. Smaller v neck is amazing (for my smaller hands) for faster lead playing. Plus the tone pull/split adds a super nice, non edgy clean sound.

2. Swamp Ash Classic - far more overtones then the drop top. Swamp Ash is so rich. Switcheroo adds so many colors. H3 in the bridge is rock and roll and will take on the DropTop any day. Sooo versitile.

Mesa 20/20, Triaxis, TC G-Major, Recto half cab. You can't touch me tones now matey!

Unless you can play the guitar - 'cause, I haven't quite figured that part out yet:D

I can't imagine another guitar that could add to this line-up. But, I'm imagining anyway and 'yall seem to think "Dude, trust me, try a Cobra".

mbrown3
03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Nice, these are some great responses. I have two main axes. The first is aHDTC, flamed maple over alder, all maple neck, standard C with the SA pickups, H2+ in the bridge, Fishman Powerbridge, Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing. The second is a Baker B1 25.5 standard C neck (for his guitars it's .830/980 with 1.65 nut), DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pups and TonePros bridge, rosewood board. Baker 562 (http://www.wildwestguitars.com/pages/562.htm).

I love them both, and can't decide which I like better. I use the Anderson more often, for one reason: the stainless frets (and corresponding intonation). Well, that and that it's absolutely amazing. The drawback to it is that I'm not 100% sold on the SA pickups, though it may just be the amount they're wound. I can't tell if they're too much or not enough, but they tend to sound "twangy" to me, which usually indicates not enough (for my taste). Other than that it's hard to beat.

The one thing I LOVE on the Baker is the neck profile. That's the best profile on any guitar I've ever played. Fits my hand like a glove. But alas I got the TA slightly sooner and so couldn't order that neck carve on the TA as well. The next one will reflect that carve. The one thing I don't like are the VV pups. I've adjusted them every which way I can think of and just can't get a decent sound (for what I want). I may change them to some Fralins to see how that helps, but can't decide between Unbuckers and P90s.

Anyway, both are EXCELLENT guitars and good for different applications. But I use the Andy more. If I could just get those pups re-wound (which I might do eventually) there would be no stopping it!

Of course, I had the idea to have TA swap the frets on the B1 to stainless, but he brought up the excellent point that it would be hell to file them well on a bound board. It still may be worth the hassle and expense to do someday (if the folks at TA would be willing), but then again I may just need to have them build me another axe instead. Oh, if only they did carved figured tops...

Let's keep this discussion going - good stuff!

Scott Peterson
03-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I own one Anderson, but plenty of other guitars.

My faves (in order of preference):

#1 - 1998 Koa top Hollow Drop Top (Koa/Basswood body; maple/rosewood neck) - for all the right reasons. Tone, playability, versatility. Though it looks the best too. :D

#2 - 1995 Hamer Custom Studio Archtop - Maple top/Mahogany body; Mahogany neck/Rosewood fingerboard. My uber "ROCK" guitar. Better at the Les Paul's game than a Les Paul. For me anyway.

#3 - 2002 PRS Custom 22 - Maple top/Mahogany body; Mahogany neck/Rosewood fingerboard. Just the finest PRS I have ever owned (and I have had dozens over the years). Same reasons as my Andy HDT; but a different flavor. This guitar sort of combines the best of #1 and #2 guitars above.

And we aren't even talking acoustics yet; but I imagine that is a different thread someday. :D

Donk70
03-23-2004, 09:14 AM
I'll break down my favorites into 2 catagories:

Humbucking- 2003 PRS CU22 AP Quilt. The look, the feel, the tone.

Single Coil- 1994 USA Strat- My 1st "real" guitar after i got back into playing after a short hiatus. The MOJO coming off this guitar just oozes through my Twin.

Now I know I didn't mention a TA and I mean no disrespect but I don't have one.........yet. Thinking about "taking the plunge" after Jack email's me back. :D