PDA

View Full Version : M1 M3 M3 Combination?

rfield54
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
My (solid) Cobra has the M1 M1 M3 configuration, and while I do like the tones of all of the combinations, I have issues with the middle pickup. Because I don't like the middle pickup set close to the strings (for picking reasons), and because of the output difference between the M3 and M1, I get a disturbing change in volume when I switch from bridge pup to bridge/middle combo. I know I can drop the bridge pup down to compensate, but I like its tone the way it is. I'm thinking I should instead get an M3 for the middle position, as I would actually prefer the middle pup a bit lower. Has anyone tried this scenario? Right now the bridge pup is about 1/10" below high E and the middle pup is 1/8" below.
Thanks. - Roy

tom
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
the m1 is a different size than the m3, so they are not interchangeable. the m2 ans 3 are a wider spacing. we do make an m1+ which is a bit hotter than the m1. the m3 is a hot one, about as hot as a pretty hot full size humbucker, so i don't think you're going to get a middle pickup at a low height to compete with it's output. you might be better off with a weaker bridge pickup if you can deal with that.

rfield54
02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey Tom,
I just measured the pickup cavities (bridge and middle) and they are almost exactly the same: The bridge is 1.104 and the middle is 1.102. I measured the top widths of the pups and they're virtually identical. Does that mean I really don't have an M3 in the bridge? - Roy

tom
02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
measure the length, the width is the same.

rfield54
02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
10-4. I guess my best, or at least easiest option might be an M2 in the bridge and an M1+ in the middle? How close are they in output? Or I could try modifying an M3 to fit the smaller length by sanding the outer edges of the pickup base. If I could sonically get away with rotating the PUP 180° I could then drill new screw holes in the PUP base without merging into the old holes (2 holes into the side that has one, etc) and still use the existing screw holes in the pickup cavity.

bruce
02-12-2008, 02:48 AM
You won't be able to make the M3 fit in the middle spot... way too wide.

I would try a M2 in the bridge position... they are a nice balance with the M1's... even if you lower the middle M1's height a lot.

Like Tom said, the M3 is a screamer, and isn't matched well with the M1.

rfield54
02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Alright then: M2 in the bridge and M1+ in the middle . . . "Hello, Mister Roy?"