PDA

View Full Version : Used Classic

Donk70
03-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Where is the best place to find a used Classic? There are no dealers around my area and the pickings are slim on evil-Bay. What I'm looking for is a regular neck carve with a maple fret board and a S S S p'up alignment. Thanks for the help in advance.

Stan Malinowski
03-21-2004, 02:31 PM
When you say "Regular Neck" Carve are you referring to the TA Standard or the 62 Roundback Carve? Also which nut width? When you say s-s-s I am assumming you are reffering to the VA Series pickups (pure vintage single coil). What's your preference on the body wood - alder or swamp ash?

Welcome to the world of TAG where options abound!:D

Donk70
03-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Wow, I guess I have alot to learn. I think the standard neck carve would be the the one I'm looking for. As far as body wood, I like alder and as far as p'ups I want the VA series singles. Please excuse the newbie mistakes. Like I said I want to learn from everyones experience. Also, if I was to order one, how long would the wait time be?

MikeHil
03-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey Donk,

I understand your concerns about eBay. I have / had the same concerns. Paticularly with the Andersons. However, I just scored 2 in one week - DropTop and Classic. Both were in excellent - and I repeat excellent and ni my opinion mint - condition.

I'm really not saying you should or shouldn't rely on eBay as I'm certain there are other, more qualified sources out there.

I just thought I would share my experience with you. Both sellers had 100% buyer ratings and multiple close-up pictures of the guitars.

tom
03-22-2004, 12:08 AM
donk, lead time can vary depending on dealer. 4-6 months is fairly standard these days. it can get to 8 months in some areas. some dealers reserve spots more than others. some dealers just use all their slots faster than others. if you check our dealer list on our site, you will see that some have sites and list used guitars as well as new. as for having a lot to learn, don't feel bad, one of the hard things about ordering our guitars is that you have lots of choices to make and it can lead to option anxioty. hang in there and gather as much info as you can handle. some stores are very adventurous, and stock quite a variety, and some stores try to keep it simple to make it simple.

Stan Malinowski
03-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Donk,

I'll keep an eye out for a Classic with the specs you're looking for. In the past I have typically bought used first to see if I like the guitar and determine what "adjustments" I would like. Then I order a new one to my specs and sell the used one. It's a method which has worked well for me.

Jack at Magdons keeps a few "build slots" reserved each month at TAG. I have had orders come in the 3-6 month range.

Tom Gross
03-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Jack at Magdons keeps a few "build slots" reserved each month at TAG. I have had orders come in the 3-6 month range.

Me too.

Donk70
03-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks alot folks. Your kindness is greatly appreciated! I do have another question for Tom and company: Do you offer flame maple as an option for the necks? I didn't see it listed on the spec sheet.

tom
03-22-2004, 07:16 PM
no flame, don't trust it.

Donk70
03-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by tom
no flame, don't trust it.

I've heard the same about flame maple for guitar necks. How about any figured maple for the necks?

Donk70
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Donk,

I'll keep an eye out for a Classic with the specs you're looking for. In the past I have typically bought used first to see if I like the guitar and determine what "adjustments" I would like. Then I order a new one to my specs and sell the used one. It's a method which has worked well for me.

Thanks Stan. This is much appreciated.

tom
03-22-2004, 08:51 PM
donk, same for birdseye. some figured wood may be fine. we offered birdseye in the old days, but the failure rate was too high for me. we've made a fair amount of guitars, about 10,000 now, yikes, has it been that long? anyway, i just don't feel good about figured wood on a neck. we're asking a lot for that piece of wood to stay put with lots of tension on it, so we'll stay clear of figured neck wood.

Donk70
03-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Tom

MikeHil
03-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey Donk,

You may have seen it already but, look what I found on eBay.

Again, not spouting pro or con for eBay as we know it's a gamble. Personally, I'd prefer the recommendations Stan and the others provided.

I just got REALLY lucky.

Just wanted you to see...

Donk70
03-23-2004, 02:49 AM
Mike, both of the Andy's are stunning. Thank you for driving my GAS through the roof.:D