PDA

View Full Version : Elixirs breaking?

Pietro
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi guys.

In 06-07 I had a LOT of string breakage problems with Elixirs, mostly electric. Then it stopped and I didn't break a string in about a year. Then I heard that a lot of guys had problems with their strings about the same time and also were not having issues anymore.

Suddenly, I've broken two acoustic D strings on my Crowdster in three weeks. Annoying. I am doubting it's the guitar. Strings are breaking at the bridge, and it looks okay.

If it is the guitar, what can I do myself short of shipping the guitar to TAGW? Otherwise, are other guys (and gals) are breaking Acoustic Elixirs lately? I'm not having any issues with electric strings, and I'm generally harder on them. I can't switch brands, because I don't like ANY acoustic strings but the Elixirs anymore.

Curse them for not selling individuals...

mbrown3
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
I broke an acoustic elixir recently too, the only time I've ever broken a string on acoustic or electric since probably my first or second year of playing. It was the D string, too, I think, and I really wished they sold individuals too. Maybe there's some issue with a recent batch?

Oh, and I'm using a Taylor, and I've never broken a string on it before, so I doubt it's your guitar...

tom
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
you can buy singles at juststrings.com
i have played with 3 different guys who break strings all the time on taylors. string breakage on crowsters is really rare. the only time i've broken acoustic strings is when i'm bashing the guitar cause i can't hear myself. i never break electric strings.

guitarzan
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
the nasty consensus is that 80% of ongoing string breakage is technique based. I'd check for a burr on your saddle, but you might consider raising monitor levels or use a heavier pick so you don't feel compelled to play as hard.

Suriel Zayas
01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
the nasty consensus is that 80% of ongoing string breakage is technique based. I'd check for a burr on your saddle, but you might consider raising monitor levels or use a heavier pick so you don't feel compelled to play as hard.

+1000000, at least.

Mister T
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I have been using ELixir strings since I first tried the brand. I have broken 2...one was a high e on a Floyd Guitar during a Vai-inspired wankfest. In other words the break was my doing not a string flaw.

The other was a D string on an acoustic that just broke for no apparent reason...but one string in about 4+ years is pretty damn good.

dannopelli
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM

I use 1.5mm Cool Juratex Jazz picks and barely EVERY break a string.

Pietro
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM

I agree, but it happens in spurts. I broke two in a row in late 06, then these two and basically none in between. The saddle really looks like it doesn't have a burr. I think I just have bum strings.

hope it doesn't last. Thanks for the link on that, Tom!

mbrown3
01-29-2008, 10:42 PM

I don't ever play any differently. Since college I've played with the same technique, 'hard'ness, etc. I use the same setup and always at same volume. And I think that's what has led to so many years (at least 12) of not breaking a single string. And this one happened in the middle of a pretty lightly strummed song. I think the idea that string breakage is due to technique is a myth perpetrated by the string companies who don't want to cop to faulty manufacturing or bad runs. ;)

Actually, I played with a guy at a Vineyard church in PA who strummed so freaking hard on every song, he broke like 2 strings every service. Once I saw him break 5 strings during about 45 minutes worth of music. The funny thing was, he had an almost identical guitar to mine, and he was always like "How do you not break your strings". I replied, "I'm not pretending to start a power boat motor every time I strum!"

dannopelli
01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I replied, "I'm not pretending to start a power boat motor every time I strum!"

NOW THAT IS CLASSIC!

morty
02-05-2008, 03:11 AM
I have rearly brake strings on my guitars, electric or accoustics, I have used Elexirs on my accoustic for years, and like them.

I think if your guitars set-up is good you don`t brake strings. I play quite hard and doing a lot of bending and country style playing. I know guys with Les Pauls, have big problems staying in tune, and string brake!

Pietro
02-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Morty,

I agree. However, sometimes you get bum strings.

trikim
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I been playing for over 25 years now and have never broken a string... I know.. lucky me. I been using Elexir strings (.09's) for about 4 years now and love them. I also use the hardest-thicker picks I can find like Dunlop Stubby's or Jazz III. I always played in metal bands and currently play in a rock bar band. I also have floating trems on most of my guitars (Floyd Rose and Kahler). One thing I have to say is that my right hand technique (picking hand) is not as agressive as other guitar players. I pretty much like the amp to do the work. My guitars have no pick scratches... even on my Les Pauls pick guards. So I have to agree that the individual picking technique has a lot to do with string breaking. Remember that rock starts beat the heck out of their guitars because they can change strings every night