PDA

View Full Version : Carr Amplifiers

Alan
01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
At some point in the future I would like to purchase a Carr amplifier. I know Tom and others use the “Rambler.” I’ve read and heard reviews about the Rambler and the Vincent, but I have to drive nearly three hours to the nearest Carr dealing, and he does not have a Vincent in stock. With that said;

Are any of you using the Carr Vincent? I am mainly looking for a clean sound, however, I like the availability of some overdrive with the Vincent, but I do not want to sacrifice clean audio.

I have a Hollow Drop Top Classic which is the most wonderful guitar I have ever owned.

Many thanks,

Alan

tom
01-18-2008, 12:30 AM
i ahve owned rambler and hammerhead. the hammerhead got the most play time for me. the rambler has a wonderful clean tone. the hammerhead is capable of really nice mid gain tones. have not played the vincent.

FFOGG
01-18-2008, 05:42 AM
I also owned both a Rambler and HH ....The Rambler was a wonderful clean sounding amp but it was a definetly a one trick pony and it did better than almost any any amp ...on a par w/ a Toneking Comet 20 and Fender Twin but did not have the bottom of a Twin .The HH defintetly was a gr8 amp but too loud for my applications ..mainly a bedroom player and it sounded much better w/ Hb's than Sc .I have settled on a Mesa LSS for singlecoil sounda but the cleans are fair not on a par w/ the Rambler .Another amp you should look at is the Bogner Duende gr8 cleans and distorted tones w/ both SC and HB.I have heard gr8 things about the Vincent .Hope this helps

kurt1981
01-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Hello, the vincent is still a clean machine, much like the rambler, but the notes jump out a bit more with the vincent. It has a bit more headroom, and you can push it harder, and when it starts to break up, it's very musical. I'd say it's the rambler but with more girth and balls. The overdrive is nice too, nothing really gainy but it's very creamy and warm, like pushing a tweed amp. I'm thinking of starting to save for one, to run in bigger clubs with the rambler.
You won't sacrifice any clean with the vincent, but the rambler smokes too.
Kurt

korinabill
01-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I have a Mercury, currently using in my church band while the AC-15 is getting serviced. I love the versatility of the multiple watt selection. Currently have it set to the 2 watt level in the band. I like the clean channel and its sensitivity to the different signal levels coming from the guitar that can shape the tone, plus 2 gain switch modes, but it's very cumbersome to use without a foot switch. Can't swith to overdrive from clean or vice versa without reaching down and manually turning the switch. That will be that model's undoing.

I did meet Steve Carr at the Dallas Guitar show a couple of years ago, and he is a great guy, very friendly. I'm sure he will continue to improve all his designs.

strat56
02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
There's a review of the Carr Vincent in the current issue of Vintage Guitar. FWIW I think they really liked it.

Thanks,
Jack

JOE
02-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Can the mercury carr take a footswitch though? Is one available for it?
Just curious...

thanks!

Harry
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
For the heck of it you might want to look at Dr. Z's. The Maz 38 Senior and Junior 18 are great clean and can offer a nice low gain tone as well. It's all personal preference. Good Luck!

Harry

dannopelli
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
For the heck of it you might want to look at Dr. Z's. The Maz 38 Senior and Junior 18 are great clean and can offer a nice low gain tone as well. It's all personal preference. Good Luck!

Harry

I have both of those amps and love them. A Stingray too, (not Stang, I have one of the 50 original). I HIGHLY recommend those two, especially since they can be had with FX loops. Only the Vincent takes an FX loop. They take pedals better than any amp I have used too.

Those two are something of different animal than the Carr Vincent. I think the Rambler may come close in sound to a MAZ18/38. Close but no cigar. Maybe not even a Tiparello. The others do not. The Vincent is really unique and cool in its own way. It is 6V6 and the Z's are EL84. And the Rambler is EL 34. In fact I believe Carr does not have an EL84 amp in its line.

What I like about the Z is they are very warm, yet still accurate. Especially the 18. They are built like tanks and they are very fairly priced too.

You can't go wrong with the either.

mojocaster
02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I had at the same time a Carr Hammerhead and a Z Carmen Ghia. I sold the Hammerhead - though it was a beautifully crafted amp. I have nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say about both companies in general, and both amps in particular.

Harry
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Dannoppelli, I had a StingRay as well, #14 but had to move one of my amps. I really miss it and have regrets but at least it went to a good home. The Galaxy sounds cool but I am waiting for the Evan to see how that one pans out.

I am just one lottery win away from getting the gear I want.

Harry

dannopelli
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Dannoppelli....

I am just one lottery win away from getting the gear I want.

Harry

HA! Good one! Ain't we all!

kurt1981
02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey, not to be picky, but the vincent and rambler are both 6l6 based amps. The only el34 based designs are the mercury and hammerhead, the slant is 6v6.
Kurt

mojocaster
02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
As an aside, i had to deal with Mr Carr himself for an amp I bought *used*. I have never met a man more courteous and passionate. He was as kind as can be, answering all my questions, making sure that I was happy with the amp. He went above and beyond the call of duty. I will own a Carr amp again.

dannopelli
02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey, not to be picky, but the vincent and rambler are both 6l6 based amps. The only el34 based designs are the mercury and hammerhead, the slant is 6v6.
Kurt

Yep. I stand corrected. I need to get these reading glasses replaced.