PDA

View Full Version : Can a string be intonated at two different saddle points?

funalij
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi:

It's Javier from Spain.

Yesterday I was changing strings in my Anderson classic and I tried to adjust intonation. I use a strobostomp in BFE option (Buzzfeiten). (Never did it before)

All strings were "in its place", but 4th string wasn't right. I have to move the bridge saddle way back till it seems 4th string intonated.

In all of my others guitars (Anderson Tele, LP, Jem777) 4th saddle possition is like original position in my classic (before move to intonation).

Then, Can a string be intonated at two different saddle points?
Maybe it's a bad string?

Thanks in advance
Javier

pipedwho
01-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Not the same string on the same guitar. There is always one ideal point on each guitar for a given combination of variables - (ie. assuming nothing else changes while you're setting the intonation - eg. if you have a floating bridge, or turn the guitar from flat to upright.)

However, on a different guitar, or with different strings (brand or gauge), the intonation point will more than likely be different to get it ideal.

Some factors that affect intonation are: string stiffness, string gauge, string mass, string action height, nut cut, fret evenness, neck relief, whether or not the trem bridge is floating, and how you're holding the guitar (eg. playing position vs resting flat on a table).

If any of the above are different between the two guitars, then the intonation point will change. On the same guitar, if you change any of the above variables then the intonation point will change also.

dannopelli
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Not the same string on the same guitar. There is always one ideal point on each guitar for a given combination of variables - (ie. assuming nothing else changes while you're setting the intonation - eg. if you have a floating bridge, or turn the guitar from flat to upright.)

However, on a different guitar, or with different strings (brand or gauge), the intonation point will more than likely be different to get it ideal.

Some factors that affect intonation are: string stiffness, string gauge, string mass, string action height, nut cut, fret evenness, neck relief, whether or not the trem bridge is floating, and how you're holding the guitar (eg. playing position vs resting flat on a table).

If any of the above are different between the two guitars, then the intonation point will change. On the same guitar, if you change any of the above variables then the intonation point will change also.

VERY WELL SAID!

You might want to check for a bad string. My experience is that saddles tend to line up in some sort of pattern. More importantly, if you had to move that one saddle and no others, it just does not make sense. One string position does not go THAT bad "just because."

tom
01-18-2008, 12:53 AM
sounds like a bad string.