PDA

View Full Version : Acoustasonic Amp?

Pastor Jeff
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Has anyone used the Fender Acoustasonic Ultralight amp? I'm trying as many amps as possible on my Crowdster before making a decision. Thanks, Jeff

Pietro
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I use an Acoustasonic 30 with my Crowdster Plus. It's the old one without the DSP (which I wouldn't use anyway, since I'm merely monitoring what I'm sending to the board).

It's great. I've had it for ten years. It needed one minor repair in warranty, but nothing since then. And I use it HARD.

Pastor Jeff
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I now realize there are a number of different Acoustasonic models. I'm interested in the Ultralight.

Help me out here. What is DSP? It's not a term I'm familiar with

BTW The Crowdster is up and running fine now. Evidently it had a bad jack. I had it replaced with a switchcraft locally and it's doing fine. I did this with Tom's knowledge and help. it seemed easier than shipping the guitar back to the shop.

Thanks

Pietro
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I've only had a bit of experience with that amp, but it sounded fine. DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing, reverb, chorus, delay, stuff like that that I, for one, rarely use with acoustic guitar. I have to say that I think if you have a full band on stage, that amp would probably be AMAZING! Let me know if you get it how you like it!

I'm SO HAPPY you got your C+ up and running. Hope you enjoy it as much as I love mine.

Pastor Jeff
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I played through the 130 watt Loudbox today at the local GC. It this point there's not much out there I haven't tried (As far as I know anyway).

Portland Music has an AER 60, every Fender acoustic they currently make, Crate, Roland, several SWR models, and Ultrasound. I liked the Fender Acoustasonic Ultralight the best of that bunch.

Apple carries the full line of Genz Benz from the pro on down, so I played each one.

GC has the Marshall plus some other Fishman amps, various Fenders, the Roland 60 and 90, plus I tried a JBL 15 EON G2 there.

Right now I like the Ultralight the best for what I do. If there's something else I can try I'm all for it!

Thanks for the info and good feedback. God bless, Jeff

LearnedHand
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
IMHO for a Crowdster Plus forget an acoustic amp. Get a good PA system that has what I believe is known as a "hanging" main speaker in order to get the fullness in the bass response. My Crowdster Plus' piezo sounds best through a PA system versus the "acoustic" amp that I have. And I believe this is so because the PA speakers have that suspended main speaker along with the tweeter.

Pastor Jeff
01-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't know what a "Hanging" main speaker would be, but I'm stuck with the PA I have. It's a good one, with Mackie SR1530 powered 3 way speakers. I've tried the Crowdster through it, using a Countryman type 85 DI. It sounds OK, but not great, not as good as through a quality amp.

I appreciate the feedback

LearnedHand
01-11-2008, 01:09 AM
You have better speaker and the type of speakers that I was referring to. What type of mixing board are you running through. IMHO all an "acoustic" amp is is a portable PA system. Grant it, the Rivera Doyle Dykes model is another story. I think that you should be getting your "best" sound with the piezo through a full PA system having a good mixing board to dial in the Crowdster with. An acoustic amp IMHO is not going to give you the bass response and thus to me it makes the piezo sound thin as compare to running through a full PA.

Pastor Jeff
01-11-2008, 02:17 AM
We've got a Mackie board, one of the more spendy ones. We've got real good sound equipment, good signal processesing. Having the pastor as a worship leader helps pushing for good equipment!

From my experience the Crowdster doesn't have any problems creating bottom end. The Fender Acoustasonic Ultralight sounded really good, and I really need something as a stage monitor. The Genz Benz Pro sounded great as well. Unfortunately the dealer with the Genz Benz doesn't handle Fender, and no one else in town handles the Genz Benz.

I'd really like to hear them side by side, and a Rivera Sedona Lite to boot! No one anywwhere near here has a Sedona to play through.

The Crowdster sounds really great through any of them, so it's not like I can't get a good sound. I'm just really picky! This tone quest can get out of hand. Maybe there's a 12 step out there "Hi, my name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to tone seeking!"

FFOGG
01-11-2008, 07:46 AM
No one anywwhere near here has a Sedona to play through.

I have played through the Sedona on several occasions great amp but I chose a Loudbox ... buts the Loudbox and Sedona are heavy to lug around

Pietro
01-11-2008, 08:14 AM
...and I really need something as a stage monitor."

Therein lies the rub. I don't think LearnedHand realized that this was the case. I assumed it was all along.

Certainly if you're already running through a PA, you shouldn't need another PA to monitor your guitar on stage. You are making a GREAT choice with the ultralight.

Pastor Jeff
01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that info FFOGG. I did like the Loudbox, but I think I liked the Fender Ultra a little more. What was it about the Sedona that made it less appealing than the Loudbox? I've read so much positive info on the Sedona, but I've never heard one in person. Rivera says it "colors" the sound, but that's like asking how high is up?

I realize when it comes to amps and guitar brands, everything is subjective. Martins don't do a thing for me sound wise, but I have lots of friends who love them and don't care for my Taylors. I will say everyone who has heard the Crowdster is amazed at the acoustic tone!

Pietro, thanks for the good info.

God bless you guys, Jeff

LearnedHand
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Therein lies the rub. I don't think LearnedHand realized that this was the case.

You are right Pietro, I did not know you wanted a stage monitor. My apology. Have you considered getting another powered speaker say with a 10" speaker and horn tweeter and using that as your monitor? Something like a JBL EON series 10. I think those are the smaller ones that can be used as a monitor.

Pietro
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I've heard my older stereo guitars through an eon, and I actually like the acoustasonic better as a stage monitor.

But... it is an EXCELLENT alternative worth trying. I used to use a power amp and a regular monitor speaker (12-inch, though) and it worked GREAT.

Pastor Jeff
01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I tried the newer JBL speakers, the black ones, 10 and 15 inch at GC. The 15's not bad at all. I have the gray models at church, 10 and 15, but they don't sound all that good.

The truth is I want the very best tone I can get. I doubt if most people in church would recognize any difference, but I would. I could use a less expensive guitar instead of the Crowdster too. From the early 70's until 1995 I played a Matrin D 28, then I switched to a Taylor, a questionable move to some! I used a great sounding Trace Elliott acoustic amp for years, until it bit the dust. They don't make this model any more.

This Sunday I'll spen more time dialing the Crowdster in through the PA, since the sound to the house is more important than what I hear on the platform, and we'll see what happenns

Thanks again for all your comments, I do appreciate it. Jeff

Pietro
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
This Sunday I'll spen more time dialing the Crowdster in through the PA, since the sound to the house is more important than what I hear on the platform, and we'll see what happens

Jeff,

a suggestion as you do this. Leave the acoustic eq on your crowdster flat and do the eq in the PA (and then on your acoustasonic for you) as much as possible. Not that the eq on the C+ isn't useable... on the contrary... but sending a flat signal from that guitar to the house and tweaking a few frequencies is DA BOMB!

I'm playing mostly electric this weekend, so the Crowdster will stay in its case and the PRS will come out to play again. Or the Godin... not sure yet.

LearnedHand
01-12-2008, 07:23 PM
a suggestion as you do this. Leave the acoustic eq on your crowdster flat and do the eq in the PA (and then on your acoustasonic for you) as much as possible. sending a flat signal from that guitar to the house and tweaking a few frequencies is DA BOMB!

I agree with Pietro. Let the board do the work. I used to let the board run flat and tweak the Crowdster controls. It was okay, but I learned to use the board controls. Now I have a one channel on my board that is just for the Crowdster and marked at the points where I think it sounds best.

Pastor Jeff
01-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I appreciate all the ideas. I decided to try out the Loudbox Performer this weekend. I have a good arrangement with my local GC. They have a pretty liberal return policy already, so a "real" test works better than listening to it in the store.

I'm also going to borrow a friend's Trace Elliott, plus I'll run a channel straight to the house. I can pick which one sounds the best and go for it.

I wrote down some of Tom's suggestions for EQing the board, so one way or another I ought to be able to come up with a decent sound tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys, Jeff