PDA

View Full Version : help with pickup choice

joe1962
03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
I need help deciding which bridge pickup to get for my Hollow Drop Top. It's alder/maple, S/S/H, and has SA's in the single slots, which I like a lot. It currently has a HO1+ bridge pickup and it's OK, but I want something with a little more drive and mids, since this guitar (I guess because of the hollow body) sounds a little scooped acoustically. Also I really don't care much for the tapped sound of the HO1+ and would like to get a better bridge position tapped sound for country gigs. I want this guitar to cover a lot of sounds so I can use it as my main gig guitar, and I play country, blues, classic rock, and the occasional wedding/variety gig. From what I've read in the Anderson literature I'm thinking about either a H2 or H2+ will do the trick, but I'm looking for opinions from those who have experience with them. Which (H2 or H2+)would be best for what I'm looking for?

Casper
03-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi Joe,
I have had an H2+ on many Andersons and I love the output. I have one on my Hollow Droptop (maple basswood) now and its very warm and yet cuts nicely. I've hear the HO series is very warm and vintage sounding, though Iv'e not played any axes with them. Hope that helps
Shaun

Stan Malinowski
03-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Joe,

Here is an interesting question....you say you would like to get a bridge pickup which splits better than the HO1+ for "country tones". To me you would be looking for a tele/strat type split tone for the country angle. To me (and also Roy at Anderson) the HO series pickups are the best at producing a good split tone. I have a HO1+ in the bridge of my Cobra and it splits to a better "tele tone" than the H2+ split that is on my HDTC.

But then again there is a difference in woods and scale length so maybe that needs to be factored into the equation.

joe1962
03-18-2004, 09:56 AM
I have a HO1+ in the bridge of my Cobra and it splits to a better "tele tone" than the H2+ split that is on my HDTC.

I've got the HO pickups in my Cobra S and I do like the way they sound in it, even the splits. On the Hollow Drop Top it just seems like the bridge pickup needs more fullness in both the humbucker and single modes. I have the SA2R in the neck and the SA1 in the middle positions and I really like the single coil sounds on them, even more than the humbucker sounds actually. I was reading through some posts here and read a couple of them where TA said he thought the H series split sounds were better then the HO, so maybe he will chime in here at some point to help out.

tom
03-18-2004, 11:32 AM
i think we all want to or think we should like vintagy weaker pickups better, but for many applications they are not the best choice. i have been using the H2 for years, and i am considering going up a notch because i long for a smoother solo tone. as for the split deal, the H series has taller coils, like real single coils, and has a smoother maybe even slightly compressed tone. the HO's have shorter wealer coils and have a pointier, is that a word?, harder attack to them. is one better for all, no, but one will suite you better than the other. that's why we have choices. everyone's rig and situation is different, and the fun is in finding that illusive tone.

Scott Peterson
03-19-2004, 12:28 PM
My Hollow Drop Top has the H2+ in the bridge and it splits wonderfully. I love that pickup.

BrownDog
03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I have a H2+ in the bridge of my Hollow T (Mahogany body, maple cap). I love it in hum mode and split; great rock tone.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

joe1962
03-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have a H2+ coming to see if it does the trick.

Rick
03-21-2004, 08:59 AM
One possible alternative:
Instead of having a split setting, I have my H2+ go to a parallel setting. Great singing trebly tone, would be suitable for country (depending what sort you play), not as thin as it sounds split. I love it, almost -- but not quite -- as much as I love it in its full series setting.

joe1962
03-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Followup:

I got the H2+ and installed it in my Drop Top. It's just what I was looking for. Series is fat, smooth and rich and the split tone matches up perfectly with the singles in the front positions. Now I see why it's such a popular pickup. Thanks to all who replied with help.

dannopelli
04-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by tom
i think we all want to or think we should like vintagy weaker pickups better, but for many applications they are not the best choice....

Interesting point...

An issue I have when playing live is the incredible imbalance among my guitars output. It can be a pain. For live work I used to use a PRS with Dragon IIs and a Fender Am DLX Fat Strat with two Noisless singles and a Humbucker. Huge difference in output. The PRS is much louder.

Now I use a HDT with SAR1 SA1 H2. Again still an output difference. But I absolutely LOVE the way this guitar sounds and am afraid to lose its voice and clarity! So much better than the Fender.

I also sometimes use a LP with 57 Classics or a PRS Hollow I. When I use these with the Anderson the difference gets smaller again.

I overcome this with the solo switch on my Boogie. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having that feature on the amp.

And I have a Cobra S on order with M1 M1 M3.

Any one have any thoughts about this? I am considering getting hotter PUPS for the HDT and changing the Cobra order to M2 M2 M3.

One other point is I probabaly will be using the two Andersons as my main guitars. So the SAR1 SA1 H2, and the M1 M1 M3 might be a good fit. I have always liked to have guitars with more clarity and let the amp do the overdrive work.

(I feel like this is starting to become an algebraic equation!)

Or is all this just so much whining? I do have master vols on all my amps.

hmmm???

Thanks in advance!

joe1962
04-02-2004, 11:37 AM
dannopelli: You may want to consider using a clean boost to balance the weaker guitars output to the hotter ones. I have a Barber Launch Pad pedal on my board and it can boost without changing the tone of the guitar. You could set the amp up for the hotter guitar then use the boost when you switch to the weaker one.

If you go with hotter pickups you'll get more output but it will probably be a darker tone as well, which may or may not be what you're looking for.

dannopelli
04-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by joe1962
dannopelli: You may want to consider using a clean boost to balance the weaker guitars output to the hotter ones. I have a Barber Launch Pad pedal on my board and it can boost without changing the tone of the guitar. You could set the amp up for the hotter guitar then use the boost when you switch to the weaker one.

Good point. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Scott Peterson
04-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by joe1962

If you go with hotter pickups you'll get more output but it will probably be a darker tone as well, which may or may not be what you're looking for.

Very good advice; I use a Fultone Fatboost for the exact same thing.

dannopelli
04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Scott Peterson
Very good advice; I use a Fultone Fatboost for the exact same thing.

I think this is the answer. I can set the boost to level the guitar signal. Then use the solo button on the amp for an output boost for solos.

i may also consider switching my Fulltone Distortion Pro to a Carl Martin HDB MK3. Might give me the best of both worlds and combine two into one.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!