PDA

View Full Version : real ale

allicio
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm currently sat in the house on a cold miserable sunday Night drinking a bottle of hobgoblin ale when a thought occurred to me, do they sell real ales in the states or are they more of a british thing? stuff like old speckled hen, newcastle brown or black sheep?. beer and guitars! heaven! :)

tom
01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
had newcastle brown at both my kids weddings!

thefunkyone
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
We have TON's of great Ale in the U.S. you just have to bypass all the standard brands to find it. It's kind of the same with guitars. Fender and Gibson are like Budweiser and Miller..... Anderson's are a fine micro-brew. :)

I don't know what kind of Ale you specifically like but I prefer a nice Wheat ale and occasionally an Amber Ale. My favorite micro-brews are from Bell's. www.bellsbeer.com Oberon is a staple all around the great lakes region in the summer which is the only time they brew it. New Holland Brewery is also another local favorite of mine. Also don't mind some Fat Tire on occasion.

geoangus
01-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Newcastle Brown available all over the place here in southern Connecticut. I've seen Old Speckled Hen as well. A couple of local taverns have Newcastle on tap, most excellent from the barrel.

Pietro
01-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Try some of the real heavyweights!

imho, anything that says Anchor Steam can't be beat.

allicio
01-07-2008, 02:31 PM
tom you had NEWKY BROWN at your kids weddings! respect dude!

tom
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
you can't very well drink bud light on such a great day can ya'?

thefunkyone
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Try some of the real heavyweights!

imho, anything that says Anchor Steam can't be beat.

I love Anchor Steam!!

One of my friends who is a fellow connoisseur got me into that stuff a couple years ago. Can be hard to find around here though.

stratoquack
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.flyingdogales.com/
This is good stuff and the artwork is CLASSIC!

Barry
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm currently sat in the house on a cold miserable sunday Night drinking a bottle of hobgoblin ale when a thought occurred to me, do they sell real ales in the states or are they more of a british thing? stuff like old speckled hen, newcastle brown or black sheep?. beer and guitars! heaven! :)

We have all the beers you mentioned here in the states . I have a couple Old Speckled hens in the frig at the moment .

allicio
01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
We have all the beers you mentioned here in the states . I have a couple Old Speckled hens in the frig at the moment .
you got good taste mate I love that stuff. if you ever come across any ale by the wychwood brewery I would heartily recommend them. people over here seem to be going mental for magners cider with ice at the moment for some strange reason, never really been my cup of tea.

Barry
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
you got good taste mate I love that stuff. if you ever come across any ale by the wychwood brewery I would heartily recommend them. people over here seem to be going mental for magners cider with ice at the moment for some strange reason, never really been my cup of tea.

We've got several of the Wychwood beers as well . My mother is from Reading, Berks and the Wychwood beers are brewed in the bordering county of Oxfordshire . Theres a few Wychwood pubs about so thats where i got my first sample , but we have them here now so Im chuffed to bits !

thefunkyone
01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a couple Old Speckled hens in the frig at the moment .

:eek:

Thats just mean.

You should really let them out of there so they can go run around the pen. Shame on you!

;)

Barry
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM
:eek:

Thats just mean.

You should really let them out of there so they can go run around the pen. Shame on you!

;)

Oh, I let them out and then get them down my neck !

dave
01-10-2008, 05:10 AM
this is starting to feel very deja vu Barry!!!

iTwang
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I'm off the beer and the (dark side) wine at the moment but is there anyone
here who enjoys Theakstons Old Peculier along with the world's A-list guitar? :D

Pietro
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I LOVE Old Peculier. And yes, it's -er at the end.

Not for the faint of heart, though...

dave
02-03-2008, 09:15 AM
you bet!! a great tipple!!
:D

iTwang
02-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Great!

Some fellow tipplers! :D

dave
02-06-2008, 09:17 AM
feeling a bit rough today after overtippling at a fasching paty last night!
:(