PDA

View Full Version : Replacing soapbars with M series

wodka
03-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Hello. I don't post here often but I have a question regarding M series pickups. Has anyone replaced P90's with one of the M models? I have a great Hamer Monaco Elite with P90's and I'm curious how well the M's will fit as a replacement. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Peterson
03-18-2004, 09:45 AM
I do NOT know, but was told that the form factor is the same for the Minis and P-90's. Deducing from that, I would guess they fit fine.

The people who *do* know will soon chime in I imagine.

Stan Malinowski
03-18-2004, 09:55 AM
I tried an experiment once attempting to change the p90 pickups in a Gibson DC Junior to Duncan Minihumbuckers. I found the problem was not with the form factor, but with the mounting logistics. P90s have 2 screws which are placed thru the pickup cover and actually screw into the wood in the pickup cavity. Minis on the other hand have their mounting "ears" situated like humbuckers on the side of the pu. Historically there are two ways of mounting mini hbs: 1) there is a metal plate which screws to the wood in the bottom of the pu cavity and the height adjsuting screws go into this metal plate. A mini hb trim ring is fixed to the guitars top (like a full size hb cover) to make everything look tidy. 2) Gibson Firebirds have a trim ring which functions like a full size hb ring - the height screws go thru the ring and the ring is screwe to the top of the guitar.

Either way will require screw hols in the top of the guitar for the trim ring. Also GOOD luck finding the parts for either option! I could not find the metal plate for 1) anywhere - AllParts, Stew-Mac, WD or even Duncan! I had the Firebird trim rings on back order from Gibson for 6 months - they never arrived and I decided not to proceed with the project.

tom
03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
check my post under" will mini's fit in soap bar's..

oscar100
03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
ive put minis in and taken soaps out -

amazing

you will not regret it

:D