PDA

View Full Version : Humidity, or lack thereof...

bbjonz
03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I live in Tucson, which is good because we don't have real winters--had my fill growing up in the northeast. It's dry here, especially in summer, which isn't great for guitars. Anyone have any tips about caring for my TA's? Both are Hollow (one a Classic, the other a Classic T) and want to keep them in good shape. Thanks in advance.

Joe

MikeHil
03-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I had the same question.

I live in Florida but, want to make sure my guitars are properly conditioned.

Stan Malinowski
03-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Mike and Joe,

The answer is simple: send me your Andersons and I will keep them in my "environmentally controlled" house!:D

You can drop by and play them anytime!:D

bbjonz
03-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Gee Stan,

I'm deeply touched by your offer. I'm sure my TA's would be well cared for while in your charge. As a native Nutmegger, however, I know how cold and inclement the weather can be in Connecticut at this time of year, and I'm not all that certain my TA's can survive the trip to Southington. Come to think of it, the summer weather isn't all that great either, as the Amazon-like humidity and heat can also adversely affect the TA's. Thus, despite your generous offer, I must decline--and, in so doing, I can assure you that I have only the best interests of my TA's at heart.

On the other hand, if you'd like to send your TA's here for the winter, we can certainly work out some sort of visitation schedule!

Joe

Scott Peterson
03-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Here is my experience and thoughts on the topic; linked to the Gear Page. It is aimed at acoustics; but the same principles apply to electrics too:

http://63.151.115.106/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30159&highlight=humidity

Stan Malinowski
03-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Joe,

You're right about the weather changes up here in CT!

Luckily I have central air/heat in my house which helps a bit. In the winter I have a humidifier on the furnace which is set to about 45% RH. In the summer the central air typically absorbs enough moisture to keep the relative humidity at about 50%.

Historically I need to make a neck adjustment to most of my guitars about 3-4 weeks after they arrive. From then on they seem to stay pretty much well adjusted, maybe requiring a small neck tweak every year or so.

Where in CT are you from?

andersonguy
03-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys,
I may be of some help on this one. I live in Santa Fe NM which is dry, dry, dry. All year long dry. (im getting thirsty) LOL!
I have had many TA guitars during my living here and when Tom himself came here, he was wondering why frets dont pop out. I work in a guitar shope here in town that refuses to run any humidifiers, you would be suprised what happens to Fenders and other makes of guitar, ouch!

One thing, Keep your Andys in their cases when not in use! (tip from Roy) I run a humidifier the first couple of weeks when I get a new Anderson to help aclimate. I also (on rosewood fretboards) will lemon oil about once a month or so to keep the wood nurished. It works wonders. I just sold my '93 DTT which I have had here since new. Not a single check, crack or sign of drying out on it. It helps to have the high level of quality of an Anderson too.:D

Hope this helps

AG

bbjonz
03-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey Stan,

I was born and raised in Connecticut so I know the weather there pretty darn well. A friend of mine, who lives in Vernon, called Tuesday night while he was standing outside in the snowstorm. It was about 80 degrees here when he called and I'd just come back from walking my dogs, and I was in shorts and a tee shirt (not an Anderson shirt, but I will have one soon.) I love Arizona!

And AG, thanks for the advice. I don't like running humidifiers either. To make matters worse, I love having my TA's on stands or wall hangers so that I can just reach for them when I want to play. Plus they are such nice looking instruments that I love to keep them out for purely aesthetic purposes.

I will start using lemon oil on the Hollow Classic T--the Hollow Classic has a maple board so I'm probably okay there. I figured too that the quality of craftsmenship would serve them well in Tucson's climate, but I don't want to take any chances.

Joe

bbjonz
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey Stan,

I'm from Windsor Locks. Spent most of my youth watching the undersides of airplanes as they arrived and departed the airport. I also went to CCSU for my undergraduate degree, a stone's throw from Southington (if I remember correctly). Left CT in '91 to study for my doctorate at the University of Illinois--Go Illini!--then moved to AZ to accept a faculty position at the UA.

Are you a native?

Joe

Stan Malinowski
03-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Joe,

Lived all my life in CT. Born/Raised in Southington and lived there all my life with the exception of 1986-1991 when I lived in Enfield.

I worked for 13 years (1982-1995) as an engineer at Hamilton Standard (now Hamilton Sunstrand) in Windsor Locks. Favorite places to eat in WL - the Passport and the Skyline!

A good friend of mine moved form CT to Tuscon in 1987 to work for Garrett (Allied Signal). He LOVED it! His "New England Born & Bred" wife prompted their return to Connecticut in 1999. He really misses the warm, Arizona weather.