PDA

View Full Version : Float or Flat?

dannopelli
03-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Thought I might lighten things up a bit.

Here's the question:

Do you "float" your tremelo? Or is it flat?

I prefer float. Enough for a full step.

(Our local guitar tech hates me for it too!)

Any thoughts?

Stan Malinowski
03-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Flat with JUST enough spring tension to keep it flat so when I bend the trem lifts.

Stys
03-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Float with a 1/2 step bend. My next Classic with float.

tom
03-16-2004, 04:50 PM
flat so i can bend a whole step before the whole guitar goes flat.

killerburst
03-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I prefer floating for a broad range of trem techniques, including vibrato on full chords, psuedo-slide licks and Beck/Holdsworth style scoops. However, there is a significant amount of energy lost when the bridge is set for float versus flat. Kind of like when you put your headstock against a wall and the guitar gets louder- the same thing happens when you lay the bridge flat on the body. At least that's what happens with my HDT. I still set it for float because I want access to those trem techniques. It's worth the trade-off in lost energy to me. I should say I don't think the tone contour changes (much), it just loses some acoustic volume equally across all frequencies.

My $0.02.

Scott Peterson
03-16-2004, 05:13 PM
On my Anderson, I am a flat guy.

On my PRS and soon-to-be Thorn, float.

Just fits my needs.

JoeB63
03-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by tom
flat so i can bend a whole step before the whole guitar goes flat.

Me too.

I always had floating trems before I started playing TAs. I use the trems somewhat frequently, and I get all the "trem effects" I need without the up-pull. If I need a note to go sharp a step or two, I just bend the string to get it there.

The other (actually the main) problem with floating trems is what happens when you break a string mid-song. Not a problem if you're in a 2-guitar band and you've got roadies. Big problem if you don't, especially if you're too lazy to bring 2 guitars to gigs.

SteveK
03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Scott Peterson
On my Anderson, I am a flat guy.

On my PRS and soon-to-be Thorn, float.

Just fits my needs.

Ditto! :)

njjessee
03-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I like the trem to float. Not so much that I use it to bend up, but more on volume swells. There's a nice effect to sound when you bring in a volume swell and just move the trem arm a touch. You don't get the same effect when the trem is flat.

BrownDog
03-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Float.

With tone and oneness, Mike

joe1962
03-17-2004, 12:18 PM
So are new Andersons set up flat at the factory?

Stan Malinowski
03-17-2004, 12:25 PM
So are new Andersons set up flat at the factory?

Every factory new trem-equipped Andy I have ever purchased had the trem set flat. I usually have Jack loosen the spring tension to get the response I want (lifts under moderate string bends).

MapleGuitar
03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Flat, because when I play lead guitar, I anchor the wrist at the bridge. And sometimes in the heat of a solo, my wrist pushes on the bridge. With floating trems, I would often go sharp, due to pressure on the bridge from my wrist. When the bridge lays flat, I can't go sharp accidentally (no pun intended).

tom
03-17-2004, 01:03 PM
we set them up flat like i like em unless it is ordered to float, then we make it float.

John Price
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Both!

BFC
03-19-2004, 10:07 AM
I prefer floating with enough room for a half step pull up.