PDA

View Full Version : Best tele on a budget?

kurt1981
12-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, can't believe I'm asking this, but I need to pick up a tele, and don't think I've quite got the funds for another Tag. What would you guys recommend for something close in sound and playability, though nothing will obviously come close? I'd like to keep it under a grand, but fender seems risky I've seen some bad build quality from them lately,
Thanks,
Ps, I'm after the traditional country spanky tone, if that helps,
Kurt

Pietro
12-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Fender Baja Tele! GREAT guitar.

Used G&L ASAT. Even better.

Ray K.
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Used G&L ASAT. Even better.
Yes!! :)

I had one of the Tribute models, and it was perfect, IMHO. Except for the weight! Yes, I sold it because it was too heavy. Supposedly the body was Basswood, but I think they mixed in some concrete for good measure. :(

I hope to get another Tele sometime. If I can't swing for a TA, then it'll probably be an ASAT. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

Btw, the stock pickups sounded great to my ears. Did the Tele twang with ease, but had a nice little growl when the volume knob was cranked! There wasn't really anything "wrong" with the stock bridge. But I put one of Bill Callaham's on. It has lower sides all around and a cutout on the treble side. Nice saddles too. It gave me some additional sustain, not to mention it was much more comfortable to play.

Ray K.

Mott
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I second the vote for the Baja. Best bang for the buck in the Fender stable IMHO. Quality seems to be very consistent for those.

kurt1981
12-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have to keep an eye out for a G&L. Maybe someone will trade me one for my lonestar head!!!
Thanks guys,
Kurt

thefunkyone
12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
This G&L On the bay looks pretty sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-AND-L-TELECASTER-ASAT-CLASSIC-MINT_W0QQitemZ180198629256QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38083 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pastor Jeff
01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Another vote for the Baja. I own a natural ash American Tele, but if I hadn't gotten such a good deal I would have bought the Baja. I've played several G&L Teles, they're great as well. Good luck

Casper
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
You should hang out on ebay and gbase.com, you maybe could find a older TA Tele for around a grand, there are several overpriced ones on gbase, you could negotiate? Just my .02
I had a Fender Mexican tele for a few years and hotrodded it, it was okay, but heavy and had tuning issues. I really missed the weight, contour and feel of a TA. Once you play one, you're 'done' as they say...
There are deals, you just have to be in the right place. Guitar search sites are your best bet imo.
Shaun