PDA

View Full Version : Considering a 3rd Anderson in the future - need some input.

MikeHil
03-16-2004, 01:04 AM
I apologize in advance for the lengthy e-mail but, would really value any opinions...

This is one of the Andersons I own:

Serial 03-07-97A

Model - Drop Top
Body Finish - Bora Bora Blue with Binding
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Basswood
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 5/8 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - Smaller V
Hardware - Black
Bridge - Sunken Floyd Rose
Pickguard -
Pickups - H1+ H3+
Switching - 5 Way, Pull on Tone Knob splits middle position
Strings - .009-.042 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

I also have a Swamp Ash Classic (01-02-94A) and totally dig the Swamp Ash tonal charasteristics.

Here are a couple questions:

1. Does "Back Shape - Smaller V" refer to the neck shape? I LOVE the neck on this guitar.

2. What does the "A" signify in the serial #.

3. I've never played a Hollow Body - what's the sound difference from say - solid body Swamp Ash & Hollow body Swamp Ash.

Here's the next guitar I would consider - if it's even possible...

Hollow Drop Top Swamp Ash, same neck as the the model above

Any replies to these questions or, advice on the (maybe) new guitar is greatly appreciated!

Stan Malinowski
03-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Mike,

I'm a big lover of swamp ash as well! I presently have:

1) Swamp Ash Classic, rosewood board
2) Swamp Ash Classic, maple board
3) HDTC, maple top/hollow swamp ash back, rosewood board
All have VA Series Pickups.

The hollow swamp ash body on my HDTC tends to mellow the brightness of the maple top and the VA pickups. Gives it a bit softer, more-midrange flavor. Still has the flavor of swamp ash but more balanced.

MikeHil
03-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Yes, me too on the Swamp Ash. The Ash's scooped tone is perfect for my tastes.

So, I was wondering how to round out the collection - and consider the hollow body. I'll need to play one, I know. I imagine the sound to be a little more acoustic in nature - would you agree. Anything you can say about a hollow body's tonal charasteristics?

Love the slide show by the way

Stan Malinowski
03-16-2004, 07:44 AM
How about a Hollow Cobra or Cobra S? No Anderson Collection is complete without one (or two). Cobra is a shorter scale (24.75") and can be ordered with a variety of humbuckers, mini-humbuckers or soapbar pickups. Mine has the HO1+/HO1- pickups which are (to me) very vintagey. They also sound killer in the split positions.

pluto
03-16-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm with Stan on this one-you have a classic and a drop top. Now it's time for a Cobra or Cobra S. The Cobra has such a distinct sound-just strum an open chord and play it through a high gain amp, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

MikeHil
03-16-2004, 03:05 PM
OK - good suggestions. I'll check out the Cobra - I've never played one before.

Problem is, I'm in Tampa and I don't see any dealers with the TAs... not that it could really stop me.

Thanks guys.

dannopelli
03-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by MikeHil
OK - good suggestions. I'll check out the Cobra - I've never played one before.

Problem is, I'm in Tampa and I don't see any dealers with the TAs... not that it could really stop me.

Thanks guys.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/dealers.html

I am sure you already checked that out, but just in case you did not.

Consider taking a day to drive up to Atlanta to check out the store there. And I believe there is a store in Seminole.

BTW, Cobras are nice. Totally different character. A very versatile instrument.