PDA

View Full Version : I Must Be A Bit Insane....

Stan Malinowski
03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Sometimes I really wonder about my sanity..........

I have a beautiful Grosh Retro Classic in my FAVORITE color of all time - Fiesta Red (the non-faded version). Hit an open A string and this sucker resonates like there is no tommorrow. Wonderful sounding and playing but........I found myself lusting for a TA Classic in "New" Fiesta Red to replace the Retro. Reason...I think the TA take on the Strat body looks much better than the Grosh! The Grosh is much fatter in the lower bouts and pointer in the horns. Actually a FR TA would really round out my collection of TA Classics, which at present are:

1) Swamp Ash/Maple neck/RW board in Bora Bora Blue
2) Alder/Maple Neck/Maple Board in Lake Placid Blue
3) Swamp Ash/Maple Neck/Maple Board in Trans Blonde.

The only Classic combo I don't have is Alder/Maple Neck/RW board.

So.....am I insane?????

pluto
03-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Nah, you're not insane. You're just an Andersonholic. Funny thing is that I've played 3 Groshes-a maple top over mahogany bent top (I think that's what he calls it), and 2 classic strat type guitars. And I wasn't that impressed with any of them. Could be the pickups, could be the neck carves, not sure-but none sounded that great, played well or were really resonant imo.

John C
03-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Stan - I also used to own a Grosh Bent Top, and I felt the same way about the body. Don's take on the Strat is, to me, more angular. It seems like its full-sized in length (upper horn to end pin) but narrower across the body. Tom's take on the Strat is scaled down all the way around, so to me if feels like a "proper" Strat even though it's a bit smaller.

The Grosh I had was S-S-H, and I found that it felt cramped picking. I never could determine if that was from the feel of the body or the space taken up by the bridge 'bucker. Also, the guitar had the thin nitro finish on the neck with 6105 frets, and it just felt slower than any Anderson or Suhr I've ever tried. The main reason I moved on is I prefer my strat-styles to be more traditional - alder or ash and S-S-S.

Maybe it's time for me to try out an Anderson Classic with a '62 Roundback neck (with VA12-VA12R-VA23 pickups).

John C.

BrownDog
03-15-2004, 07:41 PM
...my 1-2 punch is an Anderson Hollow T (maple on mahogony; H/S/H) and a Grosh Retro Classic (alder) with Fralin Hots and a Steel Pole 43. A nice combo for anything my classic rock cover band plays. I'm happy and not insane.

With tone and oneness, Mike

BFC
03-15-2004, 09:21 PM
"Maybe it's time for me to try out an Anderson Classic with a '62 Roundback neck (with VA12-VA12R-VA23 pickups)."

That's what I just ordered!

John C
03-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BFC
"Maybe it's time for me to try out an Anderson Classic with a '62 Roundback neck (with VA12-VA12R-VA23 pickups)."

That's what I just ordered!

BFC - sounds like a great combo. Did you go ash or alder? Maple or rosewood?

John C.

BFC
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Alder body, Indian Rosewood board. Pretty standard stuff except for the pickups/electronics.

John C
03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Sounds good - I've always been a rosewood board guy myself, but I've been playing maple necks pretty much exclusively for the past year. Now I think it's time to come back to the rosewood/alder combo.

John C.