PDA

View Full Version : PRS Standard 24?

Pietro
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Any of you have or have had this? All mahogany version? How'd you like it? I'm looking at one with a trem and a graph-tech ghost installed. Looks intriguing. Looking for opinions from you tone monsters!

thefunkyone
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the standard is a decent PRS. However, and i'll probably get flamed for saying this.... my favorite PRS's are the CE line. I would take a CE over even a Custom.

:eek:

FFOGG
12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I owned 2 at different times could not stand the heavy finish on the neck ...I remember playing an out door Carnival one summer and using that finger ease on the back of the neck every 20 minutes or so and having to wipe it down constantly

dannopelli
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a Standard 22 and am quite pleased with it. I had the tone controls switched out to add a toggle and a modified McCarty switching. I can't deal with that five position dial.

But I digress. Tone wise, I liked the Standard quite well. It is really pretty versatile. Since it is all mahogany it is warmer. The maple cap on the Custom adds a lot of high end sparkle, which you might miss. I find the guitar suits its purpose quite well. Would not trade an Andy for one, but that is not what you asked.

That said, I find the 24, both the Standard and Custom, to be a bit harsh in the neck PUP. Due to the 24 frets, the PUP is pushed slightly closer to the center of the body, closer to the bridge. It makes for a less warm sounding guitar. That coupled with the higher output PUPS makes it just a bit harsh.

So if you are looking for a reasonable priced, high quality, good for rock guitar...

Get a Cobra Special S!

Pietro
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
dano

I have a Cobra still on my wish list.

That said, my new Standard 24 is JUST what the doctor ordered. I have had 24 fret guitars and found that the neck pickup is not all it is when placed "correctly", but in the case of this guitar and my Godin Flat Five X, I find the tone to be great.

The lack of a maple cap was what led me to this guitar. I don't want that sound on all my guitars. So far, I'm VERY pleased. It will be a GREAT compliment to a Hollow Cobra someday... But for now, the stable is full... (yeah, right, I have such a bad case of GAS right now it's killing me...)

dannopelli
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
You do need at least one another Andy! Oh and some kind of boutique amp too!

Tell your wife I said its OK...

PRS makes a nice guitar. I have three and am pleased with them.

Pietro
12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
danno

Need is such a strong word, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

I'm already starting to save for it (I don't buy stuff on "credit" anymore... it's so liberating to save up first.)

But I try and limit myself to one really sweet guitar per year. I just sold two things I wasn't using, then I took some of that money to buy this PRS (which is REALLY me, it seems... I'm so surprised. I never played an all mahogany one before, maybe that's what I was missing...), and the rest is sitting in what I like to call my "cobra fund". I need a hollow cobra with a powerbridge is what I need, so it will probably be used, since I think he's out of fixed PBs now.