PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Gas Have You Had Lately?

Stan Malinowski
03-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Knowing how GASous the general forum population is........

What non-Anderson guitars have you been GASed with lately?

For me, Jack Gretz recently finished an alder body/Koa topped Strat knockoff. I supplied the body from Warmoth and the neck from previous home-built USACG.

Of course when I went to pickup the body 2 weeks ago at Magdon's I also bought the Trans Blonde Andy Classic from the NAMM 2004 Show that Jack brought back....

Actually I have had more amp GAS then guitar GAS lately. I picked up a Carr Mercury and a Carr Rambler, both on the used market, within the last 2 months.

Where/When does GAS end???:D :D

oscar100
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
2 john suhrs - strat and tele

sorry tom - :o

prs mcarty soapbar rosewood neck mccartyburst

prs cu 22 quilt semi hollow

all gassed out now

unless someone got a LP 58/59 reissue to sell me......;)

pluto
03-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Like Oscar, I've been gassing big time for Suhrs. I just love the feel of his even c slim neck with the 1.65 nut width. With my hands being small, I need a comfortable neck, yet not one that is so small (like some of the Ibanez's that I've played) that you can't dig into the guitar. Like the folks at Anderson, John is very responsive and patient. Stan, I've also been GASSING for amps as well. I've been checking out tons of reviews on several amps since I sold my THD Flexi and Bogner Shiva over a one month period.

Stan Malinowski
03-12-2004, 01:51 PM
I was just playing my Suhr Classic last night! Mine actually has the Huge C Profile which even with my small hands feels wonderful! Great sounding and playing guitar, to me the same quality/playability/tone that I get from my Anderson Classics. I have not been as lucky as you on my responses from Suhr. I sent 3 emails and never received a response to any of them. I called (at the advice of one of their largest dealers) to discuss a Koa-topped guitar. For a potential $3800-$4000 list price guitar they showed little, if any, interest in even answering some basic questions.

I LOVE the Suhr Classic I have and it will remain a "keeper" but the lack of customer concern would make me shy away from doing future business with them.

pluto
03-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I was just playing my Suhr Classic last night! Mine actually has the Huge C Profile which even with my small hands feels wonderful! Great sounding and playing guitar, to me the same quality/playability/tone that I get from my Anderson Classics. I have not been as lucky as you on my responses from Suhr. I sent 3 emails and never received a response to any of them. I called (at the advice of one of their largest dealers) to discuss a Koa-topped guitar. For a potential $3800-$4000 list price guitar they showed little, if any, interest in even answering some basic questions.

I LOVE the Suhr Classic I have and it will remain a "keeper" but the lack of customer concern would make me shy away from doing future business with them.

Hi Stan, long time, no see on the forum!! Glad to see you back. With respect to the responses from John, he has a spam filter like Tom. Unlike Tom's filter, I wasn't getting a response back to type in a password. John posted something on his forum mentioning this problem he had with certain email accounts. So I wrote something on the Suhr forum so that John could manually unblock my email. He did so and he has responded to all of my questions both through personal email and through his forum. As far as calling him about the koa topped guitar, that's unfortunate. I'm curious though why the dealer didn't contact John himself. In any case, glad to see you back again Stan. I see GAS has gotten you pretty good these days. I have a personal quick fix for GAS these days-it's called a lack of $$!! Mark

Stan Malinowski
03-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Mark,

You have NO idea how interested I was (am) in the RW Neck Cobra S you were (are?) selling. It took a LOT of willpower to fight off that bit of GAS. Actually it took a bit of reality also - I am in one of those positions (software development fot voice networks) that is a potential target for outsourcing to India. When GAS starts to gnaw at me I just make myself think of how long my present job will be stable. :(

pluto
03-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Mark,

You have NO idea how interested I was (am) in the RW Neck Cobra S you were (are?) selling. It took a LOT of willpower to fight off that bit of GAS. Actually it took a bit of reality also - I am in one of those positions (software development fot voice networks) that is a potential target for outsourcing to India. When GAS starts to gnaw at me I just make myself think of how long my present job will be stable. :(

For me, it's having a soon to be 2 year old daughter who will soon be going to private preschool and a stay-at-home mommy who will be going back to school this fall. Yikes!! When my wife was working, she was pulling in more income than me and that was the good ol' Gear days!! I'm not complaining though, my daughter has been the biggest joy in my life these past 2 years, even with all the stinky diapers, sleepless nights, and food and drink spills!

michaelomiya
03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Like Oscar, I've been gassing big time for Suhrs. I just love the feel of his even c slim neck with the 1.65 nut width. With my hands being small, I need a comfortable neck, yet not one that is so small (like some of the Ibanez's that I've played) that you can't dig into the guitar.

GAS admissions: TA DT (basswood/maple) due June 2004, Peavey Wolfgang Custom due May 2004, Charvel San Dimas (retro reissue bullseye) due June 2004.

Mark, you gotta try the Wolfgang neck, if you haven't already. 15" radius, but a very full neck carve as well. My hands are similar size to Eddie's (assuming that the handprints on the Hollywood Rockwalk are EVH's), which maybe the preference.:confused: However, I also enjoy the TACo and TA Std neck carves as well. The Charvel's going to be an interesting acquistion, since the neck dimensions are uncertain (at least to me) at this point. I've heard it's a 12-14" neck carve but the Jackson Charvel forum's a buzz w/ all sorts of conflicting info:mad:
Either way, it's too late!!:cool:

pluto
03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
GAS admissions: TA DT (basswood/maple) due June 2004, Peavey Wolfgang Custom due May 2004, Charvel San Dimas (retro reissue bullseye) due June 2004.

Mark, you gotta try the Wolfgang neck, if you haven't already. 15" radius, but a very full neck carve as well. My hands are similar size to Eddie's (assuming that the handprints on the Hollywood Rockwalk are EVH's), which maybe the preference.:confused: However, I also enjoy the TACo and TA Std neck carves as well. The Charvel's going to be an interesting acquistion, since the neck dimensions are uncertain (at least to me) at this point. I've heard it's a 12-14" neck carve but the Jackson Charvel forum's a buzz w/ all sorts of conflicting info:mad:
Either way, it's too late!!:cool:

AHHH, Michael, you (and me, too) are living proof you just can't take the 80's out of a guy!! Charvel bulls eye!!! Much too cool! I actually like the TA standard a lot too. I should just get another TA with the standard neck and narrower nut width-it seems like all the Andersons ordered have the wider nut width with the exception of course being the v necks and roundbacks which are too big for me. The cobra standard is just a tad too thick but is pretty reasonable. Do you know what the cobra standard neck carve is?

michaelomiya
03-13-2004, 04:44 AM
The cobra standard is just a tad too thick but is pretty reasonable. Do you know what the cobra standard neck carve is?

Mark, unfortunately no. (Without taking out a micrometer and measuring it's difficult to say.) However, I've got the TACo (smaller than the Cobra Std) necks on my cobras.

When I first rec'd my Cobra and Cobra S in 2001, I did call Tom to determine if there's any difference between the TACo and a TA Std neck carve. The reason? I'd been playing my Shoreline Gold Alder classic constantly, and the Cobra's felt a bit "chunkier". I read in one of the posts discussing fret sizes and heights, that Tom observed that humans (and guitar players) seem to have a sensitive touch. That said, when I inquired about any differences, Tom rep'd that the difference between the TACo and the TA Std carves s/b very, very similar. We're talking about the difference due to sanding. After 3 years w/ these Cobras, I gotta say that I can switch from the Classic to the Cobra w/o any noticiable difference. Acceptance and familiarity, perhaps. I do notice the difference in the string gauge (cobras - 10's, classic - 9's) and the neck lengths much more than the neck carves. And for the myself, the 62 roundback and cobra std require more time to get used to playing. :cool:

Regarding the kids, just wait 'til she hits 5 and starts school. The late night feedings and split food/drinks will be replaced by more articulate whining and demands for the "Wiggles":eek: :eek: Hang loose braddah!

tom
03-13-2004, 11:06 AM
We have three basic neck profiles:

Tom Anderson Standard: our most popular neck profile is a slim, sleek silhouette with not a lot of depth change from the nut to the 12th fret. they start off .810" thick at the first fret, and have about .06" worth of taper. It is offered in two nut widths, 1 5/8" and 1 11/16". And if you prefer the feel of a bigger neck, we offer this same silhouette increased in depth by +.030, +.050, +.070 or +.100 of an inch.

62 Round Back: Slightly deeper than the Tom Anderson Standard at the nut, it starts at .830" thick at the first fret, it has quite a bit of depth change (taper) from nut to 12th fret, about .125". It is offered in two nut widths—1 5/8" and 1 11/16". The 1 11/16" also has a +.020 of-an-inch deeper backshape than the 1 5/8" version.
50’s V: is a "V" backshape. It is offered in two depths, small and large and one nut width—1 5/8". The small V is .850 at the first fret and goes up to .910" at the body joint, and is a soft V. the large V is .900" at the first fret, and about .970" at the joint, and is a sharper V.

Cobra Necks: We have 3 neck backshapes for our shorter, 24 ¾-inch scale length, Cobra.

Cobra Standard: Our most popular Cobra neck backshape is a medium depth backshape for just the perfect "not too big and not too small but just right" neck. It measures about .825 at the first fret, and has .09" taper.

TA CO: T/A Standard for Cobra. Same dimensions as our TA standard long scale neck.

62 Cobra: Our 62 Roundback, 1 11/16" silhouette for Cobra. same size as the 1 11/16" long scale neck.

BrownDog
03-13-2004, 01:19 PM
I picked up the Hollow T (mahogany body/maple cap; H/S/H; Switcheroo; fixed bridge) in 6120 Tiger that was recently at Wildwood. I played in last weekend with the band, smokin'.

With tone and oneness, Mike

michaelomiya
03-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tom
[B]Tom Anderson Standard: our most popular neck profile is a slim, sleek silhouette with not a lot of depth change from the nut to the 12th fret. they start off .810" thick at the first fret, and have about .06" worth of taper. It is offered in two nut widths, 1 5/8" and 1 11/16".

Cobra Necks: We have 3 neck backshapes for our shorter, 24 ¾-inch scale length, Cobra.

Cobra Standard: Our most popular Cobra neck backshape is a medium depth backshape for just the perfect "not too big and not too small but just right" neck. It measures about .825 at the first fret, and has .09" taper.

TA CO: T/A Standard for Cobra. Same dimensions as our TA standard long scale neck.[B]

thanks for clarifying this tom!

John Price
03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm going crazy for a Hollow T Classic with the Pete Anderson setup!!!!

Just might pull the trigger this weekend!!

:cool:

killerburst
03-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Evidence of GAS in the Stafford household: I'm expecting a new drop top this summer and I was just followed home by a Hamer Artist Korina today.

Tom Gross
03-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by tom

Tom Anderson Standard: our most popular neck profile is a slim, sleek silhouette with not a lot of depth change from the nut to the 12th fret. they start off .810" thick at the first fret, and have about .06" worth of taper. It is offered in two nut widths, 1 5/8" and 1 11/16". And if you prefer the feel of a bigger neck, we offer this same silhouette increased in depth by +.030, +.050, +.070 or +.100 of an inch.

62 Round Back: Slightly deeper than the Tom Anderson Standard at the nut, it starts at .830" thick at the first fret, it has quite a bit of depth change (taper) from nut to 12th fret, about .125". It is offered in two nut widths—1 5/8" and 1 11/16". The 1 11/16" also has a +.020 of-an-inch deeper backshape than the 1 5/8" version.
50’s V: is a "V" backshape. It is offered in two depths, small and large and one nut width—1 5/8". The small V is .850 at the first fret and goes up to .910" at the body joint, and is a soft V. the large V is .900" at the first fret, and about .970" at the joint, and is a sharper V.

TA CO: T/A Standard for Cobra. Same dimensions as our TA standard long scale neck.

62 Cobra: Our 62 Roundback, 1 11/16" silhouette for Cobra. same size as the 1 11/16" long scale neck.

I asked for my Cobra S Rosewood neck as "A little slimmer than a Cobra" and it came out great. The specs say "slimmer Cobra".
So what is that, I wonder?

Tom Gross
03-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Oh, and as for GAS, I'm really not thinking guitars these days, I'm thinking amps.
With My 2 cobras (1 w/P90's), a good Strat and an OK Tele, I have things covered.
I've been getting into Dumble style amps - a Fuchs modded Bassman, and a Two-Rock modded bassman. If I ever get acces to any more money via my wife, I'll be getting a production amp from one of these two makers.

The only guitar that catches my lustful eye these days is a TA Hollow T.

-CM-
03-14-2004, 01:13 AM
I've been fortifying my amp stable lately with some kit amps. I recently completed an Old Flame and a Class Act kit from Allen Amps. Really top notch stuff he has, and it's a lot of fun to put them together.

http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/OldFlame/oldflameanderson.jpg

http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/classact_sas.jpg

The lastest guitar GAS has me about to pull the trigger on this flaming beauty:
http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/AndersonHDTstorepic1.jpg

JoeB63
03-14-2004, 01:30 AM
I've had the painful, explosive type.

pluto
03-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Regarding the kids, just wait 'til she hits 5 and starts school. The late night feedings and split food/drinks will be replaced by more articulate whining and demands for the "Wiggles":eek: :eek: Hang loose braddah!

My daughter has been watching the wiggles since 8 months old. In fact, we have all the dvds and videos. They came to Hawaii last year and I bought two sets of tickets for her as they had 3 shows in 1 day. I hate to admit it but I'd rather watch them than Barney (my daughter's other favorite).

As far as your other comment about the peavey w.g.-15 radius-braddah, that's flat, a little too flat for me. I tried the EB Petrucci model (which has a 15 radius) and I had a hard time with it. Anyway, take care!

pluto
03-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by tom

Tom, thanks for the detailed info. Do you guys also do custom necks?

Stan Malinowski
03-14-2004, 10:10 AM
I was just followed home by a Hamer Artist Korina today.

Jon,

I owned a Hamer Korina Artist for a while, what a GREAT guitar! I preferred it over the PRS HB and Gibson 335s I previuosly owned. I really came to discover that hollowbodies just weren't for me and ended up selling it. For the money that KA is one WICKED good deal, I'm sure you'll love it!

Stan Malinowski
03-14-2004, 10:13 AM
CM,

I built an Allen Old Flame 2x10 Combo about 2 years ago. It was one good time putting it together and the blackface tone is incredible! I have been realy GASing over his V-18 Project (the kit form of the Sweet Spot). I really have a love in my heart for all that is Princeton! I'm glad to see someone else who loves his Allens.

michaelomiya
03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Tom Gross
I asked for my Cobra S Rosewood neck as "A little slimmer than a Cobra" and it came out great. The specs say "slimmer Cobra".
So what is that, I wonder?

Tom G, the "slimmer Cobra" references the TACo neck, or a Cobra neck (24.75") w/ a TA Std neck carve (0.81" at the nut w/ the 0.06" taper). I've got 2 Cobra's w/ this neck carve and they're awesome!:cool:

michaelomiya
03-14-2004, 09:40 PM
My daughter has been watching the wiggles since 8 months old. In fact, we have all the dvds and videos. They came to Hawaii last year and I bought two sets of tickets for her as they had 3 shows in 1 day. I hate to admit it but I'd rather watch them than Barney (my daughter's other favorite).

Mark, sing me a few lines, and start w/ "fruit salad,.... yummie, yummie...":eek:

As far as your other comment about the peavey w.g.-15 radius-braddah, that's flat, a little too flat for me. I tried the EB Petrucci model (which has a 15 radius) and I had a hard time with it.

hey, that's why we all play Andy's!:p
Best of luck w/ your GAS pains!!:D

pluto
03-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Mark, sing me a few lines, and start w/ "fruit salad,.... yummie, yummie...":eek:

hey, that's why we all play Andy's!:p
Best of luck w/ your GAS pains!!:D

Hmmmm. let me try-fruit salad, yummie, yummie, fruit salad, yummie, yummie, fruit saladdddddddddd, the first step, peel some banana, the second step.... Ahhh, it's been a while!!!

Good luck on your next purchases too!! Let us know how the Wolfgang and Charvel reissues go (we already know how you'll like the Anderson!).

michaelomiya
03-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Hmmmm. let me try-fruit salad, yummie, yummie, fruit salad, yummie, yummie, fruit saladdddddddddd, the first step, peel some banana, the second step.... Ahhh, it's been a while!!!

Good luck on your next purchases too!! Let us know how the Wolfgang and Charvel reissues go (we already know how you'll like the Anderson!).

Mark, you're good! Now a little "Captain Feathersword" or "Wag's the Dog" (just kidding!:p ). Ever notice Officer Beeples? (she's the Wiggles' former choreographer Leann Holleran). Hey, I gotta look a something - what's worse than seeing 4 grown men singing songs to kids?!?!?

WOW, we've really taken this thread to new levels, and not necessarily good ones!!:eek:

I'll keep you posted on the Wolf and the Bull (bullseye, that is!)

MikeHil
03-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey CM -

You assembled those amps?

How was / is the:

1. Sound
2. Degree of difficulty and time required
3. Tools required
4. $$$
5. Website / phone

By the way everybody: my vote is the smaller V neck - absolutely love it!

-CM-
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
I chronicled the adventures on the BAM forum:

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772

MikeHil
03-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Man CM, for "a neophyte in the world of guitar", you sure are doing some really cool things... TAs, custom amps.

I'm totally and pressed. OK, and a little jealous too. I think I'm going to stick to Boogie after seeing how labor intensive that was.

My favorite part of the story?:
I decided to take the day off today...

Scott Peterson
03-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by -CM-
I chronicled the adventures on the BAM forum:

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772

My hat is off. You are da MAN.

Wow.

Stan Malinowski
03-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Building my Allen Old Flame Combo ranked as one of the most satisfying things that I have accomplished in the music related area of my life.

I set off to college in 1977 for a degree in Electrical Engineering which I had hoped would be able to merge my love for guitar (and amps and effects) with a worthwhile occupation. After graduation I worked on nuclear power plant instrumentation, avionics, automotive controls, elevator/building/fire controls and most recently voice compression. Never did get to touch the mussic industry like I had planned.

About 3 years ago I heard about David Allen and his "blackface" kits on the non-defunct PRS Forum. After some research and a few conversations with David Allen I took the plunga and bought the OF kit. David is a true expert in his trade and his kits are first class all the way. Very detailed and comprehesive instructions. He is also very responsive with questions both on-line and over the phone. It took me about 20 hours over about 2 weeks to build the kit. It fired up the first time and I was elated! I finally was able to take my technical knowledge and apply it to something musical. It was a great deal of fun and a wonderful learning experience. I have since rebuilt and modded a few Fender amps (Champs and Princetons). I would LOVE to still get a V-18 (Prinecton based) kit from David in the near future. Oh Yeah - the Old Flame is one GREAT sounding amp with my Anderson Classics!