PDA

View Full Version : Alternate tunings on my Drop Top's (Tom, any input ?)

LydianX99
03-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi all, hi Tom,

a few days ago i beseeched Tom to put the DT7 back in the product line but with no luck...therefore, i just decided to save money to order a Baritom within the next 6 months.

However, for the time being, i really need to tune my guitars down for some particular pieces of music.

I usually use 10-46 on my Drop Top's (both with Floyds) in standard E tuning.
My question is: what string gauge should i use to keep the same tension (feeling, minor neck and Floyd adjustment) for the following tunings (i just mention the low string and all the other strings are droped accordingly):

D tuning,

C tuning,

B tuning (just like a seven minus the high E).

?

Finally...is this harmless for my beloved guitars ???

Thanks in advance, Joel

sylvanshine
03-11-2004, 10:56 AM
From my days playing a Floyd, I would seriously doubt if you are going to be able to drop all the way down to B. The screws holding the claw are going to have to come way out. And maybe different springs too.

That being said, I don't know what a super heavy set of strings might do. I know Ernie Ball is making some sets that might work- Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52) and Beefy Slinky (11-54).

All you can do is try. While a new setup is required, it shouldn't cause any harm to your TAs.

Good luck

killerburst
03-11-2004, 10:57 AM
I would bet that if you emailed D’addario Strings with your guitar scale length and the tunings you list, you would get a comprehensive answer.

tom
03-11-2004, 01:35 PM
when you start dropping the pitch, you need to increase the size of the strings pretty fast. for d tuning, .011-.052 feels like .009's at normal pitch. going lower you will need bigger strings or live with the lower tension. the floyd won't hold anything bigger than about a .060, so tuning down to C is going to have a loose feel. you won't hurt anything playing with the different gauges, but your intonation will have to be changed fairly radicaly with the lower tension of the big strings.

LydianX99
03-12-2004, 05:06 AM
Dear Tom and all,

Well, thanks for the input, i still have more questions:

as i understood, the Floyd won't go beyond .060 (on the bridge or on the nut (on the nut i guess) ?) but on 7 stringed guitars, the most common B configuration (i heard about) is 0.056. Do you think i can , while waiting for a Baritom, play with an (e.g.) Ernie Ball 7 string set (0.056) and just discard the high E ?

I just installed a D'Addario 10-52 set on my PRS Mc-Carthy (no trem at all) and noticed that the tuning was not as stable as before.

Is (i believe so) there a way to compute the tension for a given gauge and a given tuning ?...e.g. if i know that a standard 10-46 gauge on a DT is 100 kg tension, how do i solve the equation with bigger strings keeping the same Floyd setting, neck setting with an alternate tuning ?

I don't want to take any risk with my DT's, and ideally i don't want to change my DT's settings since from one gig to another, i might need to go back to a straight standard E tuning ! Do i dream or is it possible doing things carefully ?

Thanks in adavance, Joel

P.S. Dear Tom, i hope you will not discontinue the baritom line this time...:confused:

dpeterson
03-12-2004, 07:26 AM
I'll chime in a bit... with the baritom and it's long scale, you wouldnt need to jack up the gauges so much i would think? am i on crack?

dave

tom
03-12-2004, 01:26 PM
the 56 is pretty light for me tuned to B, but you might like it. you're not going to damage anything since you don't have to cut a nut for the bigger strings. when strings are tuned to a lower pitch, tuning is not as stable with a low tension.
dave, the longer scale certainly helps with tension, a baritom tuned to D with normal strings feels pretty normal. anything lower should have bigger strings.