PDA

View Full Version : Hello - Forum newbie from California

guitarzruletwo
11-01-2007, 01:35 AM
I have been lurking in the forum background for a while, but thought I would finally jump in. I haven't seen a strong Floyd Rose contingent posting on the forum, but I might as well come right out and admit that I have a problem: I am an 80's guy at heart! I can't seem to say no to a HSS configured Anderson with a Floyd.... Here is a quick shot of the current fleet:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/guitarzruletwo/andersongroup07.jpg

1988 - Pro Am (Bowling ball finish)
1989 - Pro Am
1990 - Grand Am Lam (green)
1990 - Grand Am Lam (blue)
1992 - Drop Top
1993 - Classic

pipedwho
11-01-2007, 02:07 AM
Welcome!

That Drop Top is very interesting in that it has a maple fret board with the headstock matched to the body. From other threads, I was of the understanding that Tom doesn't do that - they only do natural clear headstocks when the fret board is maple.

So that is one very interesting guitar! ... and it's purple! :D

enr1co
11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Great pallet of finishes and old and new headstocks!

You need to get a 91' in there to complete the flush :)

guitarzruletwo
11-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Great pallet of finishes and old and new headstocks!

You need to get a 91' in there to complete the flush :)

Thanks Enrico. A minty 91' would fit nicely with the crew

tom
11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
there's a '91 grand am on ebay right now!

guitarzruletwo
11-02-2007, 06:27 PM
there's a '91 grand am on ebay right now!

Thanks Tom; I did see that Grand Am on ebay. It is pretty rare to see a guitar made from a solid piece of figured maple (as opposed to a figured maple top / cap). I am sure the raw material costs make it somewhat prohibitive to produce many guitars this way, but is there any tonal advantage to this?

tom
11-02-2007, 08:05 PM
it's kind of funny, usually maple bodies are considered bad, but lighter ones sometimes sound wonderful. sometimes it gets down in the 3.5 lb body weight, and it sounds real nice there. back in those days, a nice piece of maple was about $125. now a piece like that would be at least $500, maybe more. and that's just raw undry wood.

michaelomiya
11-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Welcome aboard! Floyd-lover and Charvel fan boy as well.:D

guitarzruletwo
11-04-2007, 03:33 PM
it's kind of funny, usually maple bodies are considered bad, but lighter ones sometimes sound wonderful. sometimes it gets down in the 3.5 lb body weight, and it sounds real nice there. back in those days, a nice piece of maple was about $125. now a piece like that would be at least $500, maybe more. and that's just raw undry wood.

Thank you for your perspective Tom. I thought maple bodies were always on the heavy side, so it is interesting that isn't necessarlily the case. I didn't have any real ideal of what raw figured wood actually cost, but given that type of increae, I can see why there aren't many of these floating around today.

guitarzruletwo
11-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard! Floyd-lover and Charvel fan boy as well.:D

Thank you for your note Michael. I am guessing from your ID (picture), that you are a fellow Floyd enthusiast. It is good to know that there are at least a few of us out there.

Inomukas
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I have been having a bit of a look around for a little while... thought I would jump in.

I have an 89 Grand Am (hopefully I got the uploading right on the graphics) which I haven't really been able to get a whole lot of background information on. The Serial Number is pre the Anderson site look up, which I guess means pre current records system? The serial Number is 9-12-87.

I emailed Tom and Roy who were both unbelievably helpful (thanks guys), I think we figured a Pau Ferro/birds eye maple neck, quilted maple body. Any additional information/help would be very cool.

Cheers
Simon

michaelomiya
11-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Thank you for your note Michael. I am guessing from your ID (picture), that you are a fellow Floyd enthusiast. It is good to know that there are at least a few of us out there.

Floyd bridges absolutely a necessity with my 25.5" necks! HIGH gain amps as well.....

SLO, Herbert, 5150II & III, JVM410H, Cameron Marshalls and vintage Marshalls...:cool: :p

For some reason, an Anderson loaded with a Floyd and a HI-gain head make for tonal nirvana!

michaelomiya
11-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I have been having a bit of a look around for a little while... thought I would jump in.

I have an 89 Grand Am (hopefully I got the uploading right on the graphics) which I haven't really been able to get a whole lot of background information on. The Serial Number is pre the Anderson site look up, which I guess means pre current records system? The serial Number is 9-12-87.

I emailed Tom and Roy who were both unbelievably helpful (thanks guys), I think we figured a Pau Ferro/birds eye maple neck, quilted maple body. Any additional information/help would be very cool.

Cheers
Simon

drooling.....very, very nice! Simon, you and Guitarzruletwo have wonderful Anderson collections - oughta start a TAG database like they've got with the prepro Charvels.:p

guitarzruletwo
11-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Simon

Simon,

That is a beautiful guitar. I love the look of the natural color and the amazing grain (in the body and the birds eye maple neck). Thanks for sharing the pictures.

thefunkyone
11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

michaelomiya
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey Brian, I just got off the phone with Enrico....it ALL makes sense now!:D Great meeting up with you and E in front of the PV booth.
Next time we need to swap stories on 80's metal and their Charvels.:cool: :cool: :cool: :p
mike

guitarzruletwo
01-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Brian, I just got off the phone with Enrico....it ALL makes sense now!:D Great meeting up with you and E in front of the PV booth.
Next time we need to swap stories on 80's metal and their Charvels.:cool: :cool: :cool: :p
mike

Mike,
It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I look forward to swapping stores from the days of "pointy" guitars. :)

Thanks,
Brian