PDA

View Full Version : 1x12 extension cabs

chadmj
09-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I am in the market for a 1x12 extension cab and am inviting some advice. I know I need a 8 ohm (playing through a fender hot rod deluxe). I've had a mesa 3/4 back wide body and I like how it sounds. Right now I'm considering buying one of these unless there is something out there that I don't know about that is just as good (while being less expensive)?

Or does anyone have a cab they need to unload?

Chad

Suriel Zayas
09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
really like the bogner cube.

Barry
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
The mesa 3/4 cab you mentioned is indeed a great cab .

Stys
09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
My favorite is the Mesa Thiele Ported cab...heavy and pricey but can we really put a price on tone?

dannopelli
09-27-2007, 04:44 PM
The mesa 3/4 cab you mentioned is indeed a great cab .

For the application you are using that would be my suggestion, especially if you can find one with a V30 in it.

dannopelli
09-27-2007, 04:45 PM
really like the bogner cube.

That is about the best cab out there, but isn't it a bit overkill for a Hot Rod?

chadmj
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Nothing is overkill for a hot rod :) LOL

my deluxe is hanging in there for me. Last night I looked at my biasing on it and found that I was about 95 mv !! Fender recommends 65mv I think. (no wonder it was breaking up so much on the clean channel.

Shoot, just by replacing the speaker in a hot rod you can get a great sound / tone out of them. ...not to say that the factory speaker is bad but buying a speaker for the sound you are going for...

dannopelli
09-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Nothing is overkill for a hot rod :) LOL

my deluxe is hanging in there for me. Last night I looked at my biasing on it and found that I was about 95 mv !! Fender recommends 65mv I think. (no wonder it was breaking up so much on the clean channel.

Shoot, just by replacing the speaker in a hot rod you can get a great sound / tone out of them. ...not to say that the factory speaker is bad but buying a speaker for the sound you are going for...

DOH! I did not mean to imply that the HR Deluxe is "not worthy." In fact I believe it to be very "spongeworthy!" I had one for a while, as well as a Blues Deluxe. I still have my Twin, and consider it the "reference tone" amp for the others to compare to.

I guess I did come across as a little bit of a gear snob. Sorry about that. I really do like that amp.

chadmj
09-29-2007, 09:11 PM
OH, no, no, no. I did not take it that way.

I was getting a chuckle out that myself and have to laugh because I'm going the cheaper route and using my combo to push an external speaker cab. I know it is designed for that but I am just getting a kick out of using it that way.
I've been pretty rough on my deluxe lately and it seems to hanging with the half stacks :).

I was laughing with you.

Chad

dannopelli
09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Was it Robin Williams that used to say, "Laughing near you not at you?"

kurt1981
09-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I second the motion for the boogie thiele cab, I use one with my lonestar, and with other amps, huge sound, and a small package. Just recorded with it and it sounded fantastic,
Kurt