PDA

View Full Version : since were on the subject

allicio
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
since were on the subject of recommendations I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a small cheap practice/bedroom amp. there seems to be alot of interest in modelling amps at the moment but I've always been led to believe there not all there cracked up to be any ideas/advice would be most wecome.

Road King
09-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I was playing through a borrowed modeling amp for a few weeks prior to purchasing my Mesa. In a live situation I personally do not care for a modeling amp. The ones I've tried seem to get lost in the mix or act up at the most inconvieniant times. However, as a bedroom practice amp I think a modeler would be perfect. They are generally made in such a way that once you set the guitar volume so that it dosen't clip, you can set the master volume for an acceptable db level w/o having any effect on the tone you have chosen. Multiple cool tones, low volume, cheap prices ( buying used), and many come with a headphone jack in case you feel the need to scramble your brains in private. And you don't have to drag out your pedal board.

Just my opinion

Brad

John Price
09-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm using the Roland cube 60! This is a great little amp! I use it for practice and gigs that require a quick fix! I also have the micro cube lying around here someplace!

JP

Pietro
09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Little fender Blues Junior or Pro Junior. I actually like the Pro better for what you describe. Just one volume, one tone, and one 10" speaker.

mbrown3
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I have an Ampeg Jet that sounds REALLY good, and it's pretty light and portable. Having said that, not too long ago I went on a quest to find an even smaller and lighter amp. Several folks on the gear page suggested http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html. It seems quite small and light, yet has a variety of tones. Like you, I've never been a fan of digital or modeling, etc., but the sound clips on this one sound really good.

BUT, at the end of the day the Ampeg sounds so good that it was hard for me to imagine getting another one. Even though it's not the lightest or smallest available, the trade off became worth it for me, so I've stuck with that one. But I've thought about picking up a TM30 at times, just for another option.

Mystroe
09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I have the next to cheapest baby line 6 and think it is a great little beast. I take it as my travel- vacation amp as well. Two of the 4 channels are good and useable, 2others are way to much gain. I like haveing onboard effects, and have had a lot of fun with even the absurd gain level channels with to much efx. Anyway, headphone option is a big plus. you can also use a footswitch to select amoungst 4 channels. This little baby has nicely fit in with some acoustic jams, and haveing some effects available was priceless.

allicio
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
funny you should mention line 6, I've just read that they are releasing a set of tube amps designed by bogner but still have line 6's modelling capabilities. sounds quite interesting. although jack of all trades master of none could be the case. thankbyou all for your help and ad vice. I've got some auditioning to do