PDA

View Full Version : Vox Tonelab LE

marsodude
09-02-2007, 02:55 AM
I know this has been talked about before but I sure like it.

I am traveling and this thing sure comes close to getting it!

Ray K.
09-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I owned a Vox Tonelab (table top model) and an Atomic 112 amp some years back. I never got around to trying it live, but it sounded great here at home.

If I were to go with an amp modeler again, the Tonelab LE would certainly be at the top of my list.

Ray K.

santellavision
09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I really enjoy using mine too. The Brian May patch is killer. They are out there too. Pat Travers uses one live.

marsodude
09-03-2007, 08:08 AM
After spending some quality time tweaking the acoustic path I was able to get some pretty good sounds for that side of the Crowdster Plus.

Ray K.
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
After spending some quality time tweaking...
I think that's the key to the modeler's, and why some folks give up on them quickly. For the most part, the factory patches aren't worth much. It generally takes more time to tweak than amp/pedals, IMHO. The last time I talked with Bob Hartman/Petra, he was using a Boss GT-8 live. He gets great tones, but told me he has spent a lot of time getting it to his liking. The trade off is for all the fly dates, he doesn't have to worry about a backline. Things stay more consistent and predictable that way.

I'm a bit "old school" and tend to run out of patience... :rolleyes:

Ray K.

Pietro
09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I run out of patience too, which is why I LOVE my Tonelab SE. Yes, it takes time to get the patch right, BUT... once you got it, you just turn it on and it goes. No fiddling.

btw, I had a Pod first, then went to the Tonelab. Night and day. The Pod has more "stuff" for some things, more amp models, more cabinets I think, but the Tonelab has way more vibe.

Is it as good as a decent pedal board and a cool tube amp? No. But in my case, I'm leading worship, which means I'm leading a band and a congregation most every weekend, and I don't have time to tweak. So, I don't have to worry about it.

santellavision
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Pickup a nice NOS 12AX7 tube, it's worth it. Makes everything smoother.

Pietro
09-07-2007, 06:51 PM
REALLY!

I'd be interested in trying that.

Currently I run the rig through a cheapo ART TubeMP, and I think it sounds better, but where would you go/what would you buy in a NOS tube. Groove Tubes? Somebody else? I might have an old worn out one from my old Hammond Leslie speaker. I wonder how that would sound?

crash
09-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm sure opinions will abound, but the Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard Reissue tubes improved my amp quite a bit. Would probably help out the ToneLab.

santellavision
09-08-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm sure opinions will abound, but the Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard Reissue tubes improved my amp quite a bit. Would probably help out the ToneLab.I've got a Brimar in my Tonelab. Check out KCA Tubes (http://www.kcanostubes.com) Mike is a great guy and very honest.