PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shipping guitar

GASMAN
02-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Getting ready to ship her off to Anderson for a new fret job. I've never sent one off before. I have a box I can send it in. Do you recommend one shipping company over another? (UPS? Fed EX?) How about packaging? Lots of bubble-rap? Any advice-------much appreciated.

dpeterson
03-01-2004, 07:47 AM
well, from what i understand fed ex will not pay out an insurance claim over $500 for a musical instrument. $500 is max, i did some digging on thier site, and found it after Jack at Magdon told me so.

UPS on the other hand, is near impossible to get money from if there is a problem, but do insure whatever price you want.

I prefer FEDEX as i can have them hold it at the hub (right up the street) and thats one less truck it needs to get banged around in.

I've never had a broken instrument yet with either, just seem it's luck of the draw really.

Dave

mwoeppel
03-01-2004, 09:20 AM
I've shipped MANY guitars and have never had a problem.

I ship with the case - in the fitted case, they will not move around. You might want to add a layer of bubble wrap to the top of the guitar, just in case.

Put the case in a guitar box (free from your local guitar center), fill with packing peanuts - jammed so it can't move around - and ship away!

You can get insurance from FedEx if you declare the appropriate value.

Good luck!

Mark

GASMAN
03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
mwoeppel-----so you prefer Fed Ex over UPS? I'll have to check on the insurance info. Sounds like there may be alittle confusion as to what Fed Ex will cover. I'm probably getting overly nervous over this. I'll pay whatever it takes to get it there and back safely. thanks for your help.

dpeterson
03-01-2004, 02:43 PM
no confusion here, i did my homework :)

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:
Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statuary, sculpture, collectors' items, and customized or personalized musical instruments.

source: go here (http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/termsandconditions/us/liabilitylimits.html)

dave

mwoeppel
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
yes - if you read a little further, the liability is limited on guitars over 20 years old.

It also speaks of liability limited on "personalized" guitars.

I did my homework, too! :)

mw

GASMAN
03-01-2004, 06:15 PM
What do they mean by "personalized guitars"?

mwoeppel
03-01-2004, 06:21 PM
oh man - I don't know. I interpret it to mean something unique to you. But hey - give 'em call!

FedEx ground is about 1/2 the cost of UPS....

Good luck!

mark

GASMAN
03-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Yea, I'll talk to both. Thanks all for the help.

michaelomiya
03-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mwoeppel
FedEx ground is about 1/2 the cost of UPS....

FYI, FedEX Ground is not run by the same folks that run the normal FedEX ops. Evidently a subsidiary of DHL is outsourced to manage the FedEX ground operations. Nothing negative to imply here - just that there is a difference in handlers. That said I like FedEX because I can ship on a Saturday and not hassle w/ it during the week.

mwoeppel
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I know. Used to be roadway, I think.

mark

michaelomiya
03-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by mwoeppel
Yeah, I know. Used to be roadway, I think.

mark

doh! yes it's Roadway, not DHL;)

Stan Malinowski
03-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Actually it used to be RPS - Rapid Package Service. RPS was the company who took over UPS shipments during the UPS Driver's strike a few years ago (with disastorous results). Fed Ex Ground uses independent contractors in many areas. In my area (Southington, CT) the independent contractor has a magnetic sticker that he puts on the door of his van. It is a very sad thing to see, the guy is clueless and doesn't really seem to care too much about the packages or his delivery schedule. I actually had one package, scheduled for Friday delivery, delivered at 9:15 PM Sunday Night.

michaelomiya
03-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Actually it used to be RPS - Rapid Package Service. RPS was the company who took over UPS shipments during the UPS Driver's strike a few years ago (with disastorous results). Fed Ex Ground uses independent contractors in many areas. In my area (Southington, CT) the independent contractor has a magnetic sticker that he puts on the door of his van. It is a very sad thing to see, the guy is clueless and doesn't really seem to care too much about the packages or his delivery schedule. I actually had one package, scheduled for Friday delivery, delivered at 9:15 PM Sunday Night.

:eek: :eek: OK, maybe I ought to stick w/ UPS ground? I know that w/ the exception of the "forklift" incident in Sept 2003, TAG's had good luck w/ UPS. Yikes, now I've done it - jinxed it for everyone ;) I'll shut up now.

Stan Malinowski
03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I think UPS is a safe shipping medium. PRS and TAG use UPS to ship. If it's good enough for them, its good enough for me.

GASMAN
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Sounds like I may just have to cross my fingers no matter who I use. Stuff happens, I understand that. I was mainly trying to find out if you people who ship regularly have had better luck with one company or another. Still open for suggestions by the way. Thanks gang.

dannopelli
03-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by GASMAN
Sounds like I may just have to cross my fingers no matter who I use. Stuff happens, I understand that. I was mainly trying to find out if you people who ship regularly have had better luck with one company or another. Still open for suggestions by the way. Thanks gang.

RPS was Roadway Package Service. It was originally a subsidary of Roadway Freight, but spun off. It was then bought out by Federal Express. Federal Express then changed its name to Fedex. Their ground unit, the former RPS is Fedex Ground.

This business unit still uses contract carriers for all its package movement. They are not Fedex employees, the vehicles are not Fedex vehicles, (nor are they maintained by Fedex) and there is no co mingling of Ground and Air. The only Fedex employees in the ground unit are the package handlers in the ground hubs and the management people.

Fedex Ground does not move ground from its hubs on the weekend. Just because you ship a package it goes nowhere. Last pick up for Fedex ground and UPS ground moves out Friday night/Saturday morning. You can ship a UPS ground package at a UPS store on Saturday too. But it will sit until Monday.

UPS is all UPS employees end to end on all domestic and most international movements. Vehicles, standards, etc are managed directly by UPS. reliability is measured and accountabilty steps are in place for all movements end to end. UPS prodies real time tracking also.

UPS vs Fedex reliabilty for air products is virtually the same. Ground is another matter. Since the Fedex delivery personell and vehicles are not in driect line to the parent, there is somewhat less accountability. Fedex has less experience and a somewhat smaller ground infrastructure. UPS has direct control over all package movements. it has been moving ground packages for nearly a century, and has one of the largest integrated ground and air infrastructures.

UPS Ground is guaranteed. All UPS products are guaranteed. UPS operates 4300 UPS Stores, formerly MailBoxes Etc. Office Depot and Staples also have UPS counters. Fedex ships from about 1200 Kinkos. Both companies operate shipping counters from their distribution sites. Both offer internet shipping and labelling, with drop off at authorized counters or to drivers. This is a good option for saving money.

Hope all this helps with your decision making.

pappy
03-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Prior to going on my trip to Munich, I added my HDTC to my renters policy. Replacement cost with a $50 deductable cost about $20 a year. No matter who you use, you're bound to have to endure MAJOR hassles and delays getting payment if you rely on the shippers purchased policy (assuming they'll pay at all given some of the info here). By relying on a good insurance company, you are shifting that pain to them.

I would never, not even for a single second, believe that Fedex, UPS, or Boxes-R-Us, would lift a finger to help you with such a potentially major loss.

Add an 'All Perils' rider to to your homeowners policy. That's the only way to be sure you'll be able to replace it if it's damaged.

Pappy

PS - Hey Stan, I'm in Manchester. Ever hit any of the local jams?

GASMAN
03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks danno. Don't know how I could ask for more info than that.

dannopelli
03-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by pappy
Prior to going on my trip to Munich, I added my HDTC to my renters policy. Replacement cost with a $50 deductable cost about $20 a year. No matter who you use, you're bound to have to endure MAJOR hassles and delays getting payment if you rely on the shippers purchased policy (assuming they'll pay at all given some of the info here). By relying on a good insurance company, you are shifting that pain to them.

I would never, not even for a single second, believe that Fedex, UPS, or Boxes-R-Us, would lift a finger to help you with such a potentially major loss.

Add an 'All Perils' rider to to your homeowners policy. That's the only way to be sure you'll be able to replace it if it's damaged.

Pappy

Excellent point. Typically somewhere between $50 - $100 will cover all your rig.

I would like to point out that I have never had an issue with UPS nor Fedex paying on a claim.

That being said, be VERY careful with Home Owner Riders. There are exclusions to the "all perils" clauses in many policies.

Specifically, if you use a guitar or other musical instrument for any type of monetary gain it is considered a professional tool. Most homewoners policies will not cover an item used as part of a business venture. So if you are on your way home from a gig, stop for coffee, your car is robbed and your precious Anderson/DrZ, etc is stolen, you may be out of luck.

The bottom line is check with your insurance agent.

Stan Malinowski
03-11-2004, 08:14 PM

Pappy,

I was just thru Manchester the last two days commutting to a subcontractor up in Framingham, MA. Can't say I know much about the music scene in that area although I have wanted to check out the Hungry Tiger for a long time, are they still in business?

pappy
03-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Are they still in buisness?!? Man! Coco Montoya was there yesterday, Chris Duarte is there in couple of weeks. And, best of all...

...I play there every Monday!

OK. OK. I'm taking liberties. I'm a hack. They have open Mic's there every Monday. You should come by. I feel silly having the only non-Fender guitar in the place. 8-)

Pappy

Stan Malinowski
03-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Coco Montoya was there yesterday, Chris Duarte is there in couple of weeks.

DAMN!!!! I have missed Coco about 3 times within the last year. I have every one of his CDs! I have most of Duarte's older stuff, some of his newer stuff is a bit on the lame side.

I never realized the HT had these type of acts. Do they have a website with a schedule? Where are they located?

OK. OK. I'm taking liberties. I'm a hack.

I am SURE you are FAR from a hack!!! We will have to coordinate a get together for an open-mic night or a good show.

pappy
03-11-2004, 09:00 PM
The guy that's hosting this coming Monday is really good. He packs 'em in 'cause he knows how to run a jam. I'll be there as usual. As for not being a hack...let's just say I enjoy playing at home but get tight on stage.

Hey Gasman, sorry for hijacking [temporarily] your thread. :D

Try these sites for local (to Hartford) stuff:

www.blackeyedsallys.com

www.thehungrytiger.com

www.jeffpitchell.com

www.pevar.com

Jeff Pevar tours the world and plays with every big name you can think of. He's the in P in CPR (Crosby, Pevar, Raymond). Pitchell's just a great blues player who's from Wethersfield, CT. I took some lessons from him. BES host's jams every Wednesday from 8:30 to midnight. The Tiger does 'em Monday's 9:30 to past my bedtime.

Pappy