PDA

View Full Version : Rivera amps

Kid Metric
08-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Anyone using Rivera amps? I have a chance to buy a Quiana, and wondered if anyone else is using them
Your input is greatly appreciated!
Bud
02-09-97A Hollow Classic
04-16-06N-Classic
11-07-06P-HDTC
04-26-03A-Hollow T
03-30-07N-HDT

ckofahl
08-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I've owned several of the Rivera amps. The "Q" has probably the best clean of any amp that I've ever owned. The crunch or lead channel, is somewhat squishy and I really didn't care for it too much. The clean channel is almost enough to justify the amp. Absolutely beautiful, very rich. The reverb is one of the best. He named the amp I believe after his daughter.

wreckfan
08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
The other guitar player in the band and I have been through quite a few amps collectively. The Quina stayed a very short time !! The amp sounded a lot better alone than in a mix. Pretty nice cleans - the distortion was nearly unusable - thin and raspy. Overall a very uninspiring amp (sorry). There are a lot better choices out there !!

Kid Metric
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
What did it get replaced with?
What kind of material are you playing?
Thanks for the response.

kurt1981
08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I couldn't disagree more, at least with my fandango. It takes pedals like a dream, best cleans around, very fender like. I've been thinking of selling, but the more I toss it around, the less I wanna do it. They really are great amps, the distortion is pretty heavy, and I never even turn that channel on, which was the main reason for me wanting to sell it, it's like I have half an amp that never gets used.
Don't give up on them, without checking it out. They love andersons!!!

wreckfan
08-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Nothing directed at Rivera amps - in fact the Jake Studio Combo left me with haunting memories of really nice clean tones. I should have bought one when I had the chance. Wish they still made them.......I would buy one in a minute.
Have not been able to try some of the newer offerings (Fandango/pubster and chubster) but the Fandango would be on my try list.

We have migrated from Classic-rock to current top-20 kind of music and have had several female singers - one 22 year old with a great voice that gave us a couple good years of playing some really fun newer songs from artists like Shakira, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne mixed with a bit of Madonna and even a little Donna Summers (Hot Stuff)....interesting mix !! We have always played larger - mostly outdoor events.

Playing these types of venues and this mix of music has kept us on the equipment game (ok - we just like the stuff !!) gotta go from current top 20 countdown to country to classic rock (who else plays Betty Davis eyes!) so our equipment has to be fairly versatile.

Amps that lasted the longest - my buddy Ernies 65- Super Reverb - my Mesa Mark III (loaded/simul/ev/eq) fussy and erratic and very hard to dial in and my Mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb combo amp which had pretty nice cleans, overall consistent good tone....

Casper
08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
I have been looking for a new amp for awhile now as some of you may have read. I am selling my Fender 65 DDRI. Of all the amps I never thought of, I recently remembered when I had a Rivera R55112! It was a KILLER amp that gave me no trouble. Light weight, no fuss controls, separate eqs, celestion speakers, HAND BUILT, killer clean and overdrive, pedal friendly, and reliable.......I cannot even remember why I got rid of it back then, but I am sorry as hell I did! After trying the DR Z line, Boogie, MArshall, etc. I wanted a reasonably well built and fair priced amp, but I also wanted the good customer service. I remember talking on the phone with Paul Rivera and he was every bit as nice and responsive as Tom is to all of us. Its like a light has been shining on me. I am going to order another 5512.
Anybody interested in my Fender can PM me. It is a year old, has tilt back legs installed along with a D2F Custom fit cover, excellent condition.
Shaun