PDA

View Full Version : Building a new Pedalboard advice sought

FFOGG
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
I am about to have a pedalboard built by Pedals.com due to great advice received here .I realize after veiwing most of the pedalboards here there are certain pedals I don't have and maybe I should get before I submit the drawing .
I have the following : 1 Eternity
2.Lovepedal Woodrow
3.Lovepedal Super 6
4.Vox Wah [ used it once ]
5.Vox power wah [never use it }
6. Fulltone Supratrem {its ok }
7.Marshall Vibratrem great leslie effect
8.Clapton Digitech ....not worth putting on board be/
of Marshall
9.Marshall compressor {sitting on shelf ]
10. reverend Drivetrain II
11 Boss giga delay {still getting used to it unsure }
12 Visual Sound H20 ??????
13 Fishman powerblend { wh /is a real problem to get in line w/ other pedals but sounds great when I put effort in to go an acoustic amp }

I know I need a tuner ..thinking Korg so I can read it while looking down onstage

Do I need a Chorus ??
Harmonizer ??
Phaser ??
Compressor ???

A shot in the mouth ???

I play classic rock and country ??

kiko
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
my advice get in the pedalboard what you use not what you have. For an example i have to effect boards. My rack and my pedalboard what i use for small places. In both i have similar items and very disimilar items. But at the end of the day if what i use.

tom
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
good advise. decide what you really will use. i used to have a huge pedalboard and didn't use that much of it on a regular basis. too much to haul around. put on the essentials, and leave room for one or two pedals that you can rotate in and out depending what you are doing.

Rhys
08-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Do I need a Chorus ??
Harmonizer ??
Phaser ??
Compressor ???

A shot in the mouth ???

I play classic rock and country ??

If you play much country I'd say a compressor is in order. But I'm a fan of compressors so I'd say that for about any style.

kurt1981
08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey, one thing I'd suggest is some kind of buffer. With that many true bypass boxes, you're bound to lose a little pep in your signal. I personally use my carl martin comp, I leave it on all the time, another compression fan I know, but it also gives me just a bit of boost to keep the signal where it should be. Other than that, I'd say only put on what you use. I've got fuzzes and phasers and stuff that get used for certain gigs, but it's easier to stick them on the floor on the side of my main board than it is to have a bigger board. Just my two cents, best of luck to you, let us know how the board comes out, I bet their work is fantastic.
Kurt

crash
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
The DD-20 (Giga Delay) isn't true bypass. You could run it last and get around the buffer issue (That's how my board is set up).

No volume pedal?

tom
08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
he crash, we're twins on the delay for buffer at the end. i used to run the vol pedal after the delay so it didn't load the guitar. now it's in the loop.

crash
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I like the VP after ODs and before the delay, for volume swells that don't change the overdrive.

Not to hijack the thread, but what effect does loading the pickups have? I have to admit I don't completely understand that.

Suriel Zayas
08-02-2007, 05:19 PM
he crash, we're twins on the delay for buffer at the end. i used to run the vol pedal after the delay so it didn't load the guitar. now it's in the loop.

i always run the delay at the end. how are you getting along with the issues of the vp in the loop or no longer an issue?

kurt1981
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
If by loading the pickups you mean dropping the impedence, I don't really dig what it does, it seems kind of tinkly, and a bit artificial. I don't like having anything from guitar toto my fuzz pedals either, it makes them act a bit funny. I use the dd-20 as well, and it works great as a buffer, after the volume pedal, but I like to hit the rest of the pedals with a bit more hence the compressor. I'm a bit weird about those things, I guess.

tom
08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
having volume pedal after magnetic pickups is like having 250k pots on humbuckers, it dulls the tone. if it's after a buffer, no problem.
suriel, i'm using a 50k pedal in the series loop hooked up backwards and it's working fine. can't explain the backwards thing, but it works.
the pedal is in the loop so that it works with the amp making the distortion like having a vp after gain pedals, lower volume but still driving the amp

dannopelli
08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Got to agree with install what you use commentary. I think a compressor is quite useful too.

Just my opinion.

Suriel Zayas
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
suriel, i'm using a 50k pedal in the series loop hooked up backwards and it's working fine. can't explain the backwards thing, but it works.
the pedal is in the loop so that it works with the amp making the distortion like having a vp after gain pedals, lower volume but still driving the amp

that's exactly how i have mine, but i cannot explain it and neither can bruce egnater.

FFOGG
08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone ...I think I am going to get a Compressor ???? Any suggestions ??? Keeley ???
Also does having two delays make any sense ?? I am still trying to figure out the Boss Giga delay ?? The H20 is nice ????

Tuner ??? Korg ?? or Peterson ???

Finally do I need a volume pedal ??? I have a Boss but thought I would use my Reverend Drivetrain II as a clean boost instead of a voklume pedal ???

Where do I put my Fishman Powerblend ??? lol lol lol :confused:

FFOGG
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Also I am leaving off I dont use ...I guess thats the reason I dont use it

kurt1981
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey man, I'll throw some ideas at you, first, and not to spam or anything, but I am selling my analogman mini bicomp, which is a fantastic compressor. I think you'd be very happy with that, or a number of others. It's really up to what kind of comp you want, subtle, or more of a noticable squash. For super subtle, I recommend the carl martin, or the demeter opto-comp.
For a tunor, I've heard the petersons are great. I think having a volume pedal is much more convenient than a fixed boost, so you can hone in on dynamics, and you have much more flexibility, the ernie ball stuff is pretty good for that, unless you spring for a goodrich.
I had two delays for a while, odly, the same two you mentioned, I think you can really get a lot of the dd-20, if you spend some time with it, but it does take some patience.
Hope that helps, and good luck,
Kurt

Suriel Zayas
08-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Compressor ???? Any suggestions ???

i really love the barber tone press.

FFOGG
08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Just went to the Barber site great sound clips ....I guess I never understood why I needed one but it sounds great .

I had no idea that volume pedals were so ???????? ....!!!!!!!!! Just looked at Goodrich...Tom can you elaborate on prior comments re; volume pedal ....I have a Hollow T and Classic wh / are no.1 's but I do play a Cloud 9 and Hammer Artist w/P-90's occasionally

tom
08-05-2007, 01:56 PM
when i was using pedals for gain, i enjoyed having the volume pedal after the gain so i could get high gain at lower volumes. it's handy when you want a big washed out high gain sound quieter behind a ballad. if you have a passive volume pedal after the guitar witout a buffer, the 250k pot will load high impedance pickups making them duller sounding. if you put the vol pedal after a buffered pedal, like a delay, that problem is solved.
since i am using amp distortion now this solution doesn't work. you can insert a vol pedal in a series loop in an amp and it will do a similar thing. for whatever reason with the egnater the volume pedal wants to be hooked up backwards to make the taper nice. i'm using a 50k plastic boss pedal pedal in this loop(it's lighter and i'm not using it as much as i used to use my other one. it was an eb jr.). the other bonus on havin the vol ped after the buffer is that you can plug a tuner into the tuner out without noticing a tone change.

crash
08-06-2007, 12:04 AM
... Also does having two delays make any sense??...
I just met Daniel Carson, guitarist for Chris Tomlin, at a conference gig last month. Got to chat a bit - he has 3 delays on his board. A DD-20, a DD-5 and a DL4. So evidently, for him, it does make sense.

+1 on the Barber Tone Press - mine never gets turned off.
+1 on the StroboStomp
Love the Ernie Ball VP Jr.

John Price
08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm really enjoying the Keeley compressor! simple to use and sounds great!
For a Chorus pedal I suggest the Arion Chorus modified by ProSound Communications (Xotic Pedals) This thing sounds fat!...

Must have:
VooDoo Lab pedal power
StroboStomp
Plastic Wrap.... :D When the party gets out of hand and drinks are flying! you must cover your board!!... Trust me on this one!.......:D
JP

FFOGG
08-06-2007, 07:28 PM
anyone else on the tuner or volume pedal or compressor issue ??

Suriel Zayas
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
eb, jr. for volume.

tom
08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
tried compressor lots of times and never ended up using them live. i never play totally clean so they always lose dynamics for me. the tone press was the best for me.

dannopelli
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
i really love the barber tone press.

BIG +1 on this pedal.

Mine is virtually always on except when recording. I use the blend at about 40%, which produces a very uncompressed compressed sound.

FFOGG
11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Got my pedalboard from Tom Peck .......it was worth the wait and price

Suriel Zayas
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
pics please.

Barry
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I second that . Would love to see what you got from Tom .

santellavision
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Demeter Computator, EB Volume, Korg DT-7.
Here's pics of my two boards. My big board and my jam board.

http://www.santellaproductions.com/guitar/bigboard.jpg
http://www.santellaproductions.com/guitar/smallboard.jpg

Road King
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
1. FFOGG, we will be requiring pics of the board. No excuses.

2. Santellavision, how do you like the LTD. I've been thinking about getting one so I can use my RAT for more interesting things.

Brad

FFOGG
11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes a few I will post ...coaching both kids baskerball teams as well as tiger Cub duties sheeessshhhh but I should finish assembling by Saturday .Of course I bought 4 new pedals since I started this thread

santellavision
11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Santellavision, how do you like the LTD. I've been thinking about getting one so I can use my RAT for more interesting things.

Brad I like it, it's a very nice cleaner type boost. But, I think my Klon is a bit more transparent overall. I just picked up another used Klon, so if you're interested it in, PM me.

FFOGG
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
took the pics but cant them to upload ...a little help ??????

Suriel Zayas
11-18-2007, 12:10 AM
you have to get them uploaded and hosted at a site like photobucket.com and use the img link to display them.

FFOGG
11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
before & after

Suriel Zayas
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
nice. i think i've posted mine before. some minor changes since this photo, the vox wah has been replaced with a budda bud-wah. a keely modded boss tremolo has been added and it sounds really nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/surielz/DSC_0049.jpg

FFOGG
11-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Suriel : Thanks for all your help on this .Tom was gr8 to deal with .

thefunkyone
11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I might be kind of late getting into this thread but I purchased a Peterson Strobo Stomp II a couple months ago and found it to be the best tuner I've ever used. They have a setting for buzz feiten equipped guitars as well.

Good luck with your purchase!