PDA

View Full Version : Best Anderson Flame Top!

Johnny Cobra
02-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Can anyone send photos of what they think is the Best Anderson Flame Top they have seen to date...

I'm trying to get some ideas for my next Anderson...

mbrown3
02-24-2004, 09:07 AM
This is my personal fave: http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPages/showSingleGuitarGallery.cfm?passedID=11&finishID=24&bodyWoodID=16. I had mine figured very similar and it's gorgeous, almost like a cross between a flame and a quilt. Awesome.

Paychek
02-24-2004, 09:27 AM
MBrown
That flame top that you like is my favorite also. It just so happens to be my guitar. It has a special place in my heart, and plays and sounds like a dream! I play it every Sunday in a praise & worship band at my local church through a Dr. Z Maz18, with a few good pedals. Tone to the gills!
Mikey:D

mbrown3
02-24-2004, 09:29 AM
WOW! That's cool. Absolutely stunning. Incidentally, what kind of stuff do you play in church? I'm the director of music at a church here in PA, so am always interested to hear the kinds of things other churches are doing in worship.

Paychek
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
we play some traditional and contemporary (Hill Song and such) music. I sure would like to find some more contemporary song and chord charts. We have most of our music in excel files(lyrics and chord charts), if you have something similar on file, I would love to trade with you. We are always looking for new music to play. Sure would like to play some David Crowder Band, they have some really excellent songs that would work nice in a p&w service. What styles do you all play?
Mikey

mbrown3
02-24-2004, 11:36 AM
We do some David Crowder, too - Illuminate is awesome. I think he has chords on his website. We also do Hillsong and lots of Vineyard stuff, we also do old hymns and "juice" them up - that's always fun. Our team is growing, too. When I started it was four vocalists, pianist, keyboard-ist, and me on guitar/lead vocal. Now we've got two OTHER guitarists that rotate in and out, a bass player, drummer, flautist and another vocalist. Excellent. Anyway, I'll see what kind of chord sheets, etc. I have. Do you just need chords, or lead sheets, etc? I'm sure you have a lot of stuff that I don't, too.

Incidentally, I love the fretboard on your guit...I got the all maple on mine and couldn't be happier with it, but my next one will be African Rosewood. Is yours hollow or solid? I got the Hollow and MAN it sounds good. The only thing I might change is the pickups - they're a little too "twangy" for what I need, so I may send them back at some point for a re-voice. But I can't stop playing it long enough to send it in!

Tom Gross
02-24-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm happy with mine:

http://www.andersonguitars.com/images/guitarImages/01,17,2001_01-45-23.jpg

and my other one, with the two wood patterns:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image2/1/29/96/47312996KxbUcQ_fs.jpg

mbrown3
02-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Wow, that's really cool too! I've never had a chance to play a cobra, would love to hear how they sound. Anyone have clips? I just typically get on better with 25.5 scales, but man I bet those sound good.

sylvanshine
02-24-2004, 08:13 PM
If you are willing to download some MP3s, here's my band's site

http://www.sylvanshine.net/Downloads.htm

I would recommend "Too", but "Cynical" and "Just Another Day" are Cobra as well. All other tracks are a 336 except for the solo in "Picture Perfect Love" which is Cobra.

All amps are a Bogner Ecstasy 101B.

jimmieb
02-24-2004, 09:40 PM
We do some David Crowder, too - Illuminate is awesome

I have to agree, I think it's the most brilliant work I've heard since I first heard "Jars of Clay". I don't normally like techno stuff
but it is done so tastefully on this CD. Everything from the production to the lyrics to musicianship is great. I especially love the break in "Intoxicating" that slows like holding a finger on an LP, Not to mention the infectious Dave Mathews groove. Every song translates so well into worship. Can you till I love it!!! Should win a Grammy.

Jimmie B

tom
02-24-2004, 10:32 PM
dcb is coming to azusa and malibu towards the end of march. they do the loop thing really well live. i'll be there.

jimmieb
02-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by tom
dcb is coming to azusa and malibu towards the end of march. they do the loop thing really well live. i'll be there.

I think he's Playing at Azusa-Pacific University right down the street from San Dimas. I'll see you there Tom...

tomsporer
02-25-2004, 04:24 AM
my new hollow cobra
tom

http://www2.tomsporer.com/assets/images/hollow_cobra.jpg

BFC
02-25-2004, 06:57 AM
WOW!!!

Johnny Cobra
02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Nice Top
tomsporer...
What finish did you ask for? What's your serial #?

Here are some pics of my new Cobra (01-20-04A)

Paychek
02-25-2004, 09:10 AM
MBrown
If you have chord and vocal sheets, that would be cool. Sounds like you have a p&w band allot like ours in size.
Its funny you mentioned wanting a rosewood neck on your next anderson. I am wanting my next anderson to be an all maple neck. I like the sound of an all maple neck. Does your maple neck have a more snappier sound than the rosewood. I have the vintage wound pickups on my andy and I like the tone. You mentioned your pickups are twangy. Mine pups have a sound I wouldnt call twangy, more of a spanky type sound. My leads are overdriven Texas blues style that shines through these pickups. I don't use much of the high gain tones. High gain tones sound better with a hotter pickup, but I think you loose some of the sweet mids in a hotter pu compared to the vintage wound pups. When I do want a higher gain for leads I just use the bridge humbucker and it does the job well. For the most part I like that straty spank on my andy. I do have a hollow chamber in my andy, and it adds a sweetness to the tone on tap.
Did you know that Tom plays in a p&w band at his church. So coool to see more and more p&w musicians in the forums.
Mikey

Johnny Cobra
02-25-2004, 09:14 AM
I'll try again...

enr1co
02-25-2004, 09:28 AM
yeow! great flame pics, guys!

I had been casually shopping around for a quilty topped cobra
but all beautiful specimens shown are drawing me back to the "fire" :)

e

mbrown3
02-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Paychek
MBrown
If you have chord and vocal sheets, that would be cool. Sounds like you have a p&w band allot like ours in size.
Its funny you mentioned wanting a rosewood neck on your next anderson. I am wanting my next anderson to be an all maple neck. I like the sound of an all maple neck. Does your maple neck have a more snappier sound than the rosewood. I have the vintage wound pickups on my andy and I like the tone.

Hey Mikey. I should have said "rosewood fretboard" - not the whole neck. The maple board does have a bit of a snappier tone, in my opinion, than does a rosewood board, but both sound great. I have the SA1, SA1R and H2+ on mine - how does the VA affect the hollow chambers? I've been thinking about that for a while. It seems to me that if the pickups were a little hotter it would eliminate some of the "twang." I'll keep thinking about it.

I'm heading out of town for a few days, so won't get to the song sheets until late next week earliest - sorry about that. But I'll send you a packet of stuff when I return...

Matt

Paychek
02-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Matt
I'm sorry, I have my pickup info wrong. I have the same pups you have on yours except the humbucker (SA1, SA1R, H2). I don't know what I was thinking about. The SA pups are supposed to compliment the hollow chambers, and are a fave in hollow models. I don't know what I was thinking.
When you get the time, we will swap some stuff. In a week or two would be way cool.
What kind of amp do you play through? And pedals?
I will turn on my show email function. I will need your email address as well.
Mikey

pluto
02-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Keep it coming! Those flame tops you guys have are 100% crazy.

tomsporer
02-26-2004, 04:49 AM
i asked for arctic blueburst

more images:

http://www.tomsporer.com/assets/images/hollow_cobra_ablueburst.jpg
my serial is : 10-28-03a

regards
tom

killerburst
02-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by tomsporer
i asked for arctic blueburst

more images:

http://www.tomsporer.com/assets/images/hollow_cobra_ablueburst.jpg
my serial is : 10-28-03a

regards
tom

WOW! I think I just swallowed my tongue... :eek:

mbrown3
02-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Paychek
Matt
I'm sorry, I have my pickup info wrong. I have the same pups you have on yours except the humbucker (SA1, SA1R, H2). I don't know what I was thinking about. The SA pups are supposed to compliment the hollow chambers, and are a fave in hollow models. I don't know what I was thinking.
When you get the time, we will swap some stuff. In a week or two would be way cool. What kind of amp do you play through? And pedals? I will turn on my show email function. I will need your email address as well.
Mikey

I think maybe if the SAs are overwound it would take away some of the twang, but time will tell. I use an old Ampeg and a 100W Carvin as my main amps. The clean channel on the Carvin is amazing but the 2nd channel sucks, so I use pedals for that. Am really considering a Mesa Lone Star or Road King. I love the Road King simply for the versatility - TONS of tones out of that thing. I haven't played the Lone Star yet but have heard great things. My pedals (in order): Fishman Powerblend (for Powerbridge), Crybaby Wah, Xotic AC Booster, Mesa V-Twin, TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger, Ibanez AD99 Analog Delay. Of course, I don't use most of these in church, just what I need on a particular day.

dannopelli
03-06-2004, 09:43 PM
My new Fireburst...

dannopelli
03-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by tomsporer
my new hollow cobra
tom

http://www2.tomsporer.com/assets/images/hollow_cobra.jpg
WOW!

Tom Gross
03-07-2004, 01:17 AM