PDA

View Full Version : rotary is fun

tom
07-19-2007, 06:59 PM
just got a rotary cab from steveo on the gear page. it's bringing back all those great memories of the leslies i had years ago. man pedals are nothing like the real thing.

robberns
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Tom,
Curious what kind of cab it is?

tom
07-19-2007, 07:57 PM
this one's a mgs, never heard of them before. it has a single 15" ev in it with a wooden rotor. sounds real full but has plenty high end. i would check out the motion sound srv-112 too it's smaller and about the same weight, 40 lbs. this one is belt drive like a leslie so the belt slip determines ramp speed. the motion sound one has variable speed.
i may never turn this thing off:o

kurt1981
07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Tom, you have no idea how jealous I am of you!!! Leslie is my fav effect, and I use a simulator all the time, but I'd love the real deal!!!
Kurt

FFOGG
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I have been wanting a Real Rotary for a long time .How about a link ??

guitarzan
07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
tom, are you using this as your only cab or as a second cab?

tom
07-20-2007, 10:20 AM
i haven't seen this brand before so i don't even know if they are still made. if i was looking new, i'd look at the motion sound srv-112. they have been making a 2x12 version that sounds real good but was too big and heavy for me. i asked awhile ago about a 1x12 and they said they didn't think they would make that. now they do. it's only 40 lbs, so it would be manageable. it has more features than mine does, but the only feature i wish mine had was the ability to stop facing front.
i'm going to try it this weekend to see if it could be my only cab, but i doubt that it will work as it will be tricky to get the rotor facing the right way all the time. i made a switching box so i can go back and forth if the volume is close enough.
would i haul this to and from gigs? probably not, but i can park it at church.

Pietro
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Used to have a Leslie 122 in my basement. COOL to plug guitar into. I got rid of it when I got rid of my Hammond B3. They were so huge I don't miss either.

tom
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
as wonderful as the cab was here, it didn't work at all with my regular rig. first off the room has no reflecting surfaces near the stage, so all the swirly 3D stuff was gone. secondly if i were to use it i'd have to have a second amp to power it as it is way bassier than my other cab. thirdly because it goes everywhere i would be too loud in the house on my side of the stage...but if i had a drum shield around it, it would shield the audiance and give me reflective surfaces...all from the guy who wants an amp the size of a cheerios box.

guitarzan
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
back to the drawing board!

I actually had my rig set up all last week with a Line 6 Flextone III on a 75/25% mix, and with the Egnater channel switching controlling patch changes in the Flextone. You could just barely hear the swirly stuff of the Flextone in the background and if I dug in, the Egnater would take over and the Flextone would disappear. But if I laid back a bit, the sweetness and sparkle would return. I was all excited to try this out on stage until I called ToneLounge to chat with him about it and he reminded me of what a nightmare that would be to explain that to both a FOH and a Monitor engineer.

"Uh, yeah, I really need them panned like a stereo/mono, with this one being at about 1/4 the volume of this one, and don't be afraid to let this one just disappear from the mix. It's supposed to do that."

Some rigs are made to play at home and remind us of the experience of creating a musical space in our own little throne room, I suppose.

santellavision
07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I bought one of these a while back. The Songworks (http://www.songworks.com/rotarywave.html) "Little Lanilei Rotary Wave". Yeah, it's small and not too loud, but I really dig the tone. Great fun at home!

http://www.santellaproductions.com/guitar/Lanlei.jpg

tom
07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
it was pretty fun listening to jesse playing it the other day. out came all these songs that made you go"so that's what they used for that!". you remember all the trademark leslie songs, badge, another park another sunday,take the highway and such, but there's lots more.

kurt1981
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot Tom, you're not supposed to be talking me into getting one of these. I did a gig at the church I play at yesterday, without our Hammond organ player. I was using the line 6 mm4 as a leslie tone the whole service, but the whole time I was thinking I could and should have the real thing for such a gig. The congregation didn't know the difference, a few even said I sounded like an organ, so I guess it's all relative!!
Kurt

bruce
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
just got a rotary cab from steveo on the gear page. it's bringing back all those great memories of the leslies i had years ago. man pedals are nothing like the real thing.

Did you just say "man pedals?"

tom
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
man, pedals...but then again man pedals sounds good too. but then real men don't use pedals do they?

guitarzan
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
ah, I think we finally have a Band Name, boys! Tom Anderson & Man Pedals.

bruce
07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Tom and the Whirlybirds?

Mystroe
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
While attending colledge, (in a prior century) , one of my bandmates knew a whimsicle ,young,rich ,rock lady who needed to stash her 50 watt marshall stack,whirlitzer ep, and a full sized leslie rig somewhere.I volenteered my bedroom in the house my roomates and i had. The marshall was brutal. The leslie (placed in the center of the room by nesesity) was majik. 335 was from heaven. Stereo soundfields (in an environment in which you can actually hear what you're playing) are the missing link to nirvana. I recently stumbled on a combo of fly/acoustic>pa + e-guitar side thru Vetta with slite trem that was stunning as the room throbed and resonated.

GaryMcT
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I tried the SRV 212 yesterday. Dang, I'm impressed. I'll have to try it with my amp, but it sounded great! It might be a little muffled to use by itself or in speaker "stop" mode. I'm hoping they get a 112 in at some point to try.

wreckfan
12-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Mesa had a rotary speaker that I looked at several years ago and it was way cool....but weighed a ton. Both the keyboard player and I were looking at them. The other choice was the motion-sound cab.......now you guys are making me want one again !!

GaryMcT
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
I'd love to hear if anyone has compared the 112 to the 212. If the 112 is at all close to the 212, I'm likely to get one. Might be tempted to try a a different speaker in there though. Also what do folks use to A/B/A+B for these?

tom
12-24-2007, 08:59 PM
the on ei have is a single speaker so my guess is that the 1x12 motion sound is very much like the 2x12. because the speaker sounds very different tone wise you'll probably want a different head to power it if you plan to go back and forth. i'm going to try a brighter speaker in mine to try to get around that but i don't have high hopes that it will be the ultimate solution.

Kid Metric
01-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Has anyone tried this pedal yet?
It looks and sounds like a good value, and could be the real deal.
We all know how tough this search is!
I have a Roland/Boss RT 20, and it does ok, but I think I can do better.
Opinions, anyone?

tom
01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
tried it a while back.it was as good as any, but nothing compares to the real thing for me. and i go without because hauling the leslie is no fun.