PDA

View Full Version : strings (again)

andersonguy
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi guys, I know the subject of strings has come up in the past but I wasnt here yet.

I play on avarage about 1 or 2 hours a day, blues, rock kinda stuff. Im not particularly an aggressive player but I break a string about every 7 to 10 days, usually a d string, but not always. This happens on different guitars, not just one. I always use a little tri-lube on the bridge (where they break) when I change them.

I have been using SIT's for many years and really like them, Thought switching to Elixir would help but it only hurt my wallet as I still break them.

Has anybody out there tried the cryogenic (frozen) strings with any success?
How do they hold up/sound?

Any suggestions?

I appreciate it!

AG

SteveK
02-22-2004, 10:46 PM
WOW...I've broken 1(!) string in the last 20 years or more...have you checked for a sharp edge or burr on the saddle for that string? Do you change your strings on a regular basis?

andersonguy
02-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Happens on all my guitars not just one. :(
I wish I was so lucky as to get a couple weeks out them.

skydog
02-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Andersonguy,

I know it sounds weird, but is it possible you're hitting the strings too hard with your pick? If you have a harder than necessary attack on a consistent basis, it can cause string breakage.

dpeterson
02-23-2004, 07:29 AM
I used 10-46 for many years... then i had a bout of not playing much, so i went back to 9-42's.. started popping strings like mad, went back to 10's and no problems. Brand was Ernie Ball, but one day I got sick of all of the packaging they use, and tried the d'addarios with the "green" packaging, and then I started breaking them again. Went back to EB's and no breaks.

I've had the same set of Elixirs on my new DT since I got it in late november. They still sound great, but i'm noticing on the A and D strings right where I pick, it's starting to rough up a bit, but not come completely off. I'm going to see how long i can go on it without changing, so far so good.

dave

andersonguy
02-23-2004, 10:07 AM
You guys are so lucky,
I got my new hollow t on a Tuesday night and didnt get a chance to play it until Wed. By Thursday the a week later, I had broken the B string, Friday the high E string went and Sunday the D string went!! This drives me crazy. I replaced the whole set yesterday, but within 10 days Im sure i will break yet another. I play 9 through 46 (heavy bottom) I still usually break the D which is .026 (same as 10's) :confused: My pick attack is not that hard/aggressive, yet it must be something in my picking that is causing the problem. The next size up of strings for me to use would be .011's and I dont want to go that high. That is why I am hoping to find a stronger string.
I appreciate your suggestions and hope you have more.:)

One string breaking Anderson Guy:mad:

JoeB63
02-23-2004, 10:34 AM
That's very odd. In 25 years of playing, I may have broken one D string - maybe! The only time I break a string is occasionally is when the high E breaks during an aggressive bend (and only then if the string is pretty old).

I could see it happening (D String) one one guitar if there were a burr in the bridge saddle, but on all your guitars? Do you use razor blades as picks?!?!

Strange.

mbrown3
02-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, in 15+ years of playing, I can count on one hand the number of strings I've broken...and it's usually because I hadn't changed them as often as I should and thus they were old.

What size pick are you using? If you're using a heavy or extra heavy that might be an indication of why the strings may be breaking. It also may have to do with your picking technique. Check the angle at which your pick is hitting the strings - if there's not give upwards (towards your head) when you strum downward, you're probably strumming too hard. Also, while picking, if the string is coming into contact with the pick any higher than a millimeter or two (i.e. just the very tip) of the end of the pick, that may also explain breakage.

How you hold the pick affects its strength hitting the strings as well (whether it's straight down or slightly angled, how close it is to the end of your index finger and thumb, etc.), though this will usually only cause breakage when combined with one of the other issues listed here. Finally, where are you picking/strumming in relation to the bridge? Close to it? Nearer to the neck? Where are the strings breaking? At the bridge or at the tuners (or both)? If they're only breaking at the bridge, you may be strumming/picking too close to the bridge (which will often sound more "tinny" anyway, but is sometimes good for attack).

There are a lot of issues that can go into breaking strings, and they can OFTEN be attributed to the guitar itself. With a TA, though, I would unfortunately say that it's not the guitar on this one (especially if it's happened on other guitars). Explore some of these questions and you may have an answer...

andersonguy
02-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Its hard to know exactly where the problem is, I know it is not the guitars and I have seen guitar players pick more agressivly than me. It has to be something in my techinque I suppose, Difficult to change after many years. I have always broken strings but not to this degree. Time to try changing my picking technique and pick as well for starters. I really appreciate the suggestions!!
Thanks!

Still wondering about the cryogenic strings though......

Anybody tried them?

AG

mbrown3
02-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, I was going to say something about that too! Yes, I have tried them (Blue Steels) and really liked them. I liked their tone a lot...not as much as I like the Elixers, but I did like them. In my opinion, they'll still break. Don't think they'll have much affect on that one way or another. If so, it will be minor...

bbjonz
02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
I switched to Thomastik-Infeld strings a couple of years ago. My friend who works at the local music shop told me to try them--he said the TI's lasted longer, sounded better, and felt better than the D'Addarios I was using. I looked at the price ($10 a set) and told him he was nuts. He gave me a huge discount to try them--and he was right. They last forever--I used to go through three packs of D'Addarios in the same time it takes me to thoroughly waste a pack of TIs. You really do get what you pay for with strings.

Joe

andersonguy
02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
I'd love to give those strings a try, better try changing picks first though with my problem as they are very expensive. I have been using dunlap stubby 1.0 which is pretty thick and stout, have switched (today) to the dunlap tortex, seems softer. I'll keep trying differnt ones. Do you have a line on a good price on those strings

AG?

bbjonz
02-24-2004, 11:04 AM
The best deal I've found is at my local shop, where they charge $18 for two sets. I've purchased a lot of stuff there (including a couple of cool vintage items recently) so maybe they give me "good customer" discount. Just Strings on the web has TI's (and virtually every other brand) and the evil MF also has them, but not at a great price.

As for picks, I use the Dunlop "gator" at 1.14 mm. I used to use 2.0 width picks but I found I did break strings with it (although not the TIs). Amazing how pick width and materials affect tone.

Joe

andersonguy
03-01-2004, 10:29 AM
:mad: Cursed!!
You could set your calendar to my string breakage. I changed my pick, am working on changing my techinque (not easy), but sure as anything, 10 days of playing = string break:confused:
You guys who dont break strings are so fortunate. I know that another one will probably break within the next day of playing.
Man this is frustrating!!!

John Price
03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
I use D'Addario 9-42's and change them every week before a gig!!! After the smoke and sweat from the gig I'm always hoping they make it through the midweek practice and then slap on a fresh set!!!!

;)

slowburn
10-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I used 9s from 1990 - 1998... would break strings all the time (mainly the high e string).

since 98 I've been playing with 10s and 11s and have not broken a string since then.

andersonguy
10-12-2004, 02:04 PM
I still have not determined what is the cause of my string breakage. It may be due to heavy trem use (not dives but gentle vibrato-style) I may have to switch to string saver saddles :( on my Ande's which Im not too thrilled about.
I will say,though, that since I have switched to Snake Oil strings, I break strings about half as much and sound twice as good;) ;)

AG

slowburn
10-12-2004, 02:17 PM
how would you rate snake oils in terms of feel, like tighter, looser than say daddarios?

andersonguy
10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
The privious strings I used before permantly switching to the snake oil was SIT's and Elixirs so my comparison can only be to those.
The feel may be a hair slightly tighter but it really is a non-issue as the sound is phenominal. By far the best strings I have ever played.

AG

tom
10-12-2004, 02:43 PM
we recently put a set of feraglide saddles on a cronic string breakers guitar, and i thought they sounded real nice. also solved the breakage.

andersonguy
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Being a total intonation Dork, I will have to send my babies to you to install them. Should I get the ferraglides or can you get them?

Thanks Tom!!:D

GaryMcT
12-09-2005, 05:03 AM
How did the ferraglides work out?

I'm breaking strings like mad on my new Drop Top. . mostly breaking at the bridge. I use Elixer 10-46, and I usually use the trem for gentle vibrato, not dive bombs. I haven't broken a single string on my non-trem Atom with the same strings. I haven't changed strings all that often since Elixer's last so long. . . may be that I just need to change before practice every week.

andersonguy
12-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I started using big bend nut sauce on both my saddles and the nut, this also really helped in reducing string breakage.
The string saver saddles will help a great deal with breakage but will you will sacrafice some tone for it. I feel I lost a bit of the "sparkle".

Good luck!

RC