PDA

View Full Version : Fitted Earplugs--Recommendations?

GASMAN
02-21-2004, 10:29 AM
After years of playing out, I'm finally doing this. (Yes---I have the "ringing thing" going on). Anyone have any advice on what dB filters to use, etc. I'm thinking of getting some for the band and some for mowing the lawn, etc. Thanks for any info on brands or anything else. My appointment is set for this Monday.

Scott Peterson
02-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Look up an Ear Doctor (Audiologist?) in the phone book and go get fitted with plugs. Check here for details and what to ask for: http://www.hearnet.com/text/mainframe.html

I was fitted in 1996; am still using my plugs all the time. Pretty good value if you ask me.

I use the -9db filters for playing out; I use the -15db filters for shows and concerts I attend.

I cannot recommend anything on earth any higher.

GASMAN
02-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Scott. I got some info on Westones. Sounds like that's the way to go. Our band is not that loud----so probably the 9 filters are what I'll go with. Maybe the 15's also for other things. I wonder if anyone would ever need the 25's for anything? I'm ready to do this. My 46 yr. old ears are screaming for help.

Scott Peterson
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by GASMAN
Thanks Scott. I got some info on Westones. Sounds like that's the way to go. Our band is not that loud----so probably the 9 filters are what I'll go with. Maybe the 15's also for other things. I wonder if anyone would ever need the 25's for anything? I'm ready to do this. My 46 yr. old ears are screaming for help.

The -25's are for shooting at the range or working around Airplanes; they are too much for any type of general use IMHO.

JoeB63
02-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I have the Westones with -15's and -25's. I always use the -25's when I go to other bands' shows. It's not too much reduction. I've compared the two filters at several shows, while the 10dB gap between them seems large, it doesn't sound that much lower with the -25's and you're just helping your ears that much more.

However, -25dBs are no good when *you're* playing a gig.

I find with either filter, you get more treble reduction than bass reduction, but it's not too bad unless the bass and bass drum is mixed too loudly.

dpeterson
02-21-2004, 06:14 PM
I've always used just regular foam ones. The last band i was in we switched to in ear monitors... WOW. Talk about awesome, for once i could hear everything, and no dead spots on the stage.. best of all at the end of the night, no ringing.

Dave