PDA

View Full Version : I need some help pricing some guitars

coaltrain
06-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I want to sell two Fender stratocasters that I have so I can purchase a new TAG. The trouble is that I don't know what they are worth and the offers I am getting are a lot lower then ones that I have seen hanging on the guitar store walls.

Is there anyone on the list that can help me price my guitars so I get the most out of them, please contact me off list.

Thanks
Jeff

Barry
06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I want to sell two Fender stratocasters that I have so I can purchase a new TAG. The trouble is that I don't know what they are worth and the offers I am getting are a lot lower then ones that I have seen hanging on the guitar store walls.

Is there anyone on the list that can help me price my guitars so I get the most out of them, please contact me off list.

Thanks
Jeff
What sort of strats are they, there are so many models now . Did you see any like yours on ebay ?

guitarzan
06-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks
Jeff

as a general rule, used guitars are going to fetch a LOT less than a new one hanging on a store wall. And if it's a used one on a store wall, those often have inflated prices so a retailer has some room to make a deal.

That's unfortunate part of selling used guitars, unless there's a real rush on a certain model and the demand is high, you're often going to take a bath. I'm not sure if it works for your particular strats, but I'm finding that I can get what I paid (retail, 2 years ago) for my John Mayer strat if I sell it in pieces right now.

Ray K.
06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't know if this information will help you, but I just recently sold a couple of guitars and some gear to fund a Cobra.

One was a 2004 Fender American Series 50th Anniversary Stratocaster HH in Inca Silver and with the S-1 switching. Item #170116621371, if you're interested. I bought it only a few months ago from Chris' Guitars for $800. I got $640 plus shipping for it on eBay.

I bought the guitar for one reason - it was factory routed H-S-H and I wanted to "Andersonize" it by installing a set of Anderson pickups and wiring it to Tom's specs including Vintage Voicing. It all worked out well, but I am not fond of the Modern C shaped Fender necks. That was the deal breaker for me.

So selling it for whatever I could get, and the additional gear allowed me to get another Anderson. No regrets on my part though, and I'm long over that guitar and the little bit of money I "lost." :)

Good luck,
Ray K.

coaltrain
06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
One is a 1975 sunburst w/ maple neck all original with original case.

the other is a 1979 Maui Blue w/ maple neck (re-fret) and non-original pickup covers and knobs, other wise it is very nice.

I went to a local music store and they were trying to tell me that my 1979 Maui Blue strat was only worth around 1500, yet right behind the guy was a sunburst 1979 that was really beat up and he wanted 2700 for it. For the 1975 he was going to give me 2100, yet I've seen them on the web for around 3200. My 1975 is one fine instrument, but I never play it and I think it is time for it to go to a new home where someone will play it. The 1979 was always wrong for me, too heavy and too fat of a neck, I only bought it because I thought it was a cool color.

guitarzan
06-23-2007, 04:16 PM
One is a 1975 sunburst w/ maple neck all original with original case.

the other is a 1979 Maui Blue w/ maple neck (re-fret) and non-original pickup covers and knobs, other wise it is very nice.

I went to a local music store and they were trying to tell me that my 1979 Maui Blue strat was only worth around 1500, yet right behind the guy was a sunburst 1979 that was really beat up and he wanted 2700 for it. For the 1975 he was going to give me 2100, yet I've seen them on the web for around 3200. My 1975 is one fine instrument, but I never play it and I think it is time for it to go to a new home where someone will play it. The 1979 was always wrong for me, too heavy and too fat of a neck, I only bought it because I thought it was a cool color.

keep in mind that some stores will give you around half of what they hope to sell it for. These guitars sound very cool by the way. Is there any way you could post pics?

guitarzan
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I just checked online and I found a '78 Maui Blue for $6800 at a vintage guitar place. That seems inflated though. $1500 seems WAAAAAYYY too low for your guitar. Maybe at trade-in, but not street value, depending on its condition.

entraind
06-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Do a completed auctions search on Ebay. That should give you a decent idea.

coaltrain
06-23-2007, 10:09 PM
I can post some pictures on monday, I left the images on my work computer.

coaltrain
06-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Here is what they look like, thanks for the help everyone.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/100_1509.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/100_1535.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/100_1536.jpg

dannopelli
06-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Do a completed auctions search on Ebay. That should give you a decent idea.

+1. This is one of the best ways to find what the market will bear. However I would check a few times over a period of time.

Pietro
06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I wish I had some cash. Those strats are AMAZINGLY cool! And 70s big headstock strats are HUGE right now...

Janine Doubly
06-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Those are some nice vintage and collectable pieces. I would take your time with them. You will get a VERY wide range of offers if you plan to sell them yourself, as is typical with collectable guitars that are sort of new to the vintage market. 70's Strats were once an anathema to collectors, but as the prices of golden era instruments have gone up, the 70's are starting to look more attractive to the potential collector looking to get started with a collection.

If Ebay is going to be your route, take really good pics, do your market homework and stay focused. Many collectors will test your patience and will throw offers at you to see how desperate you are. If you aren't, hang in there and be patient. The prices of these guitars will go up, especially the sunburst. You hold the cards, there aren't that many of these out there in the condition your's are in and vintage dealers need inventory, so don't let them pressure you.

irish blues
06-25-2007, 11:04 PM
so don't let them pressure you.

++++++1 great sound advice IMHO.