PDA

View Full Version : 65 Amps London

Yngve
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 65 London 2x12" stack with Celestion G12H and Blue Alnico on order. I should have it within a couple of weeks. I bought this one because I need (or do I really??) an extra amp so I can leave my Matchless at home or in the studio. Always nice to have a couple of good amps when you need one...

But I haven't tried one yet. I understand that it has kind of Matchless quality to the sound, but I wouldn't buy a Matchless DC30 because I already have one. I know a lot of you swear to Dr.Z, but those are not my cup of tea.

So those of you who have tried one, what do you think of this amp? The responses those amps have received are overwhelming. Is it all a hype, or what do you think?

bud
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Have not played one, but stood next to one at NAMM as Peter Stroud and Greg V. played it. It was amazing. I don't think you need to worry about hype.

Congrats.

Janine Doubly
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
The London has some similarities to the DC 30 but has its own flavor. They are both based on British EL84 topologies. The London will certainly give up the goods quicker due to its 18 watt power section and I think its more usable than the DC30 in a volume contest. If you are familiar with your DC30 and you use it on half power a lot, I think you'll be impressed with how well the London holds together. Its optimized for its 18 watt power section, whereas the DC30 on half power, to me, is always a tonal compromise. If you use your DC30 on full power and you need that kind of head room, the London will still hang, but will not move the kind of air the DC30 will. The London is a GREAT amp and I prefer its slightly more vintage voice than the DC30, but this is purely a personal/subjective opinion.

Also, the London's build quality and parts spec is right in the Matchless territory. No compromises in that regard. Beautifully built and beautiful to look at.

olectric
05-26-2007, 12:26 PM
i played one at a shop here in town and was underwhelmed. i have a VERY similar amp that has pretty much the same layout as the London--18 watts, Vox AC15 channel, Marshall 18w clone channel. the London is built incredibly well, looked great, sounded great, ect...mine is pretty much the same thing--just fatter, meaner, and more British (if that makes sense).

i don't think that the reviews about the 65 London are all hype though...lots of respectable players love that amp and sound great through it.

i'm curious as to what your thoughts will be when it arrives, Yngve. give us a review after the honeymoon period!

Yngve
05-27-2007, 07:45 AM
The London has some similarities to the DC 30 but has its own flavor. They are both based on British EL84 topologies. The London will certainly give up the goods quicker due to its 18 watt power section and I think its more usable than the DC30 in a volume contest. If you are familiar with your DC30 and you use it on half power a lot, I think you'll be impressed with how well the London holds together. Its optimized for its 18 watt power section, whereas the DC30 on half power, to me, is always a tonal compromise. If you use your DC30 on full power and you need that kind of head room, the London will still hang, but will not move the kind of air the DC30 will. The London is a GREAT amp and I prefer its slightly more vintage voice than the DC30, but this is purely a personal/subjective opinion.

Also, the London's build quality and parts spec is right in the Matchless territory. No compromises in that regard. Beautifully built and beautiful to look at.
Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I'm after. I don't use the DC30 on half power because I don't think it brings out the goods in this amp. I'd rather use my attenuator than half power when required.

I think the DC30 plays too loud when it hits the sweet spot in most settings, so switching between the London and DC30 for different stages was one of my intentions with this amp. I was considering a Marquee but was afraid it would play too loud. I'm really looking forward to getting it :)

Yngve
05-27-2007, 07:46 AM
i played one at a shop here in town and was underwhelmed. i have a VERY similar amp that has pretty much the same layout as the London--18 watts, Vox AC15 channel, Marshall 18w clone channel. the London is built incredibly well, looked great, sounded great, ect...mine is pretty much the same thing--just fatter, meaner, and more British (if that makes sense).

i don't think that the reviews about the 65 London are all hype though...lots of respectable players love that amp and sound great through it.

i'm curious as to what your thoughts will be when it arrives, Yngve. give us a review after the honeymoon period!
Thanks for your reply :)

I'm curious, which amp do you have that resembles the London?

Yngve
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Here's my new London together with some of it's brothers and sisters. It sounds awsome!!

http://nordlyd.no/public/65%20Amps%20London.jpg