PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried the new MXR/CAE pedal?

Casper
05-15-2007, 06:25 AM
I think its called the MC402 Boost/OD? I heard/read about it on MXR's site and listened to the sample on Musician's Friend. Not bad sounding on the MP3, but I wondered if anybody here had demoed one yet or owns one? Any insight into this or the new MXR Distortion III.
Having a hard time getting the solo tone from my Barber Direct Drive. Played with the internal pots....Its a great pedal and is probably perfect for rhythm dirt along with my LTD (which is my current fav in the world!:D)
Just not enjoying it right now. Maybe I'm not doing something right?I guess I'm looking for something different/ballsier/searing..yet tweakable:o
Thoughts?

Shaun

kurt1981
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey, I haven't tried that one yet, but I wonder if you tried running the ltd into the direct drive, or vise versa. I used to use a zendrive running into my ltd, and it sounded fantastic, a big fat overdrive tone. It's sort of like the dual tube screamer approach, but with a bit less mids and more bottom, thanks to the awesome barber pedal.
Just a thought,
Kurt

Casper
05-15-2007, 08:55 AM
I may have to reverse the order? I have been running the LTD into the DD.
Its just that by itself...Its just too grainy. Maybe I just need a plain ol distortion instead of an overdrive. The LTD covers the overdrive nicely anyway..Thanks for the tip Kurt..
Shaun

tom
05-15-2007, 10:28 AM
what are you looking for it to do? smooth solo tone, egdy cutting tear your face off, insert descriptive guitar player only lingo here.

Casper
05-15-2007, 12:04 PM
The DD has this low middy sound. Pulling up on the tone switch just adds more mid. I took the plate off and adjusted the bass pot a bit and it was a little bit better, the presence pot I haven't played with yet, but I guess that will be my next tweak.
The manual says to start with the volume around 12 oclock. I don't have that kind of headroom onstage. I can't get the volume up past 10 oclock?I have a 65 DRRI and the amp is pointed right at the side of my head volume generally on 3 or 5 if outdoors. Some one suggested my wireless output is too hot? Anyway...I guess I am looking for more "scoop"? The DD is very powerful, I just don't know how to get the sound I want for solos?

Hope that is enough "speak" :D

tom
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
turning the tone cotrol to the brighter side doesn't help? does it sound too squishy? the burn unit or small fry have a control that cuts the compression which helps a lot if that is the problem.