PDA

View Full Version : Matching Headstock, Matching back color Question

michaelomiya
02-15-2004, 08:11 PM
I know that a matching headstock on an all maple neck is taboo (too 80's dude!:D).

I've noticed that on the mahogany necks (e.g. Cobras), the matching headstock colors run the entire color spectrum, from yellow to purple.

And on a rosewood finger board w/ maple neck, I've noticed fireburst, T green, T purple, etc. w/ matching headstocks. But on a 25.5" neck scale, (maple/RW) is/are there any colors that TAG won't spray as a matching headstock? (like red?)

Regarding matching back colors, are there any woods that cannot/should not be sprayed to match the top? (like basswood?)

thanks guys!

BrownDog
02-15-2004, 08:30 PM
No cajun magenta headstock.

With tone and oneness, Mike

michaelomiya
02-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BrownDog

thanks mike. any reason?:rolleyes:

John Price
02-15-2004, 10:42 PM
I have a natural back on my mahogany with quilted maple top HDT... I just love natural backs!!! got to see the wood.....

:cool:

tom
02-15-2004, 11:45 PM
there are a few colors that are stains or two tone stains that can't be sprayed on headstocks. cajun magenta and red red are two. we generally match to the darker color if it's a two tone stain like tiger eye, the dark brown gets matched.
since basswood has a fairly nondescript grain, the lighter colors look pretty plain.

michaelomiya
02-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by tom
there are a few colors that are stains or two tone stains that can't be sprayed on headstocks. cajun magenta and red red are two. we generally match to the darker color if it's a two tone stain like tiger eye, the dark brown gets matched.
since basswood has a fairly nondescript grain, the lighter colors look pretty plain.

Got it. thanks tom!

michaelomiya
02-16-2004, 09:42 PM

BTW, you wouldn't happen to own a Cajun Magenta, tube quilt top featured as the GOTW on Sept 15, 2003? (date approximate)

BrownDog
02-16-2004, 10:11 PM
A few years back I had a Cajun Magenta Hollow T (H/S/H): maple on basswood, switcheroo, X-bridge and stop tail. Fabulous guitar. The headstock was black, as was the back. I sold it because I couldn't live without a trem.

I know the guitar you're referring to, stunning!!!!!

With tone and oneness, Mike.

michaelomiya
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
A few years back I had a Cajun Magenta Hollow T (H/S/H): maple on basswood, switcheroo, X-bridge and stop tail. Fabulous guitar. The headstock was black, as was the back. I sold it because I couldn't live without a trem.

I know the guitar you're referring to, stunning!!!!!

With tone and oneness, Mike.

thanks mike, that GOTW tube cajun magenta was NICE:cool:

actually have been jonezin for a drop top T. my cobra's have been making me wonder what a basswood backed, maple neck would sound like - probably a punchier strat (?) - those single cut bod's are the BOMB!!

michaelomiya
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM
http://www.espguitars.net/espshop/espcrafthouse/image/00003.jpg

OK, in this picture, you'll notice Grosh's, Tyler's, Suhr's and PRS's.

BUT, the anomaly is the Drop Top in red (cajun? cherry?) w/ matching RED headstock! :eek:

Was this a special order or a different neck wood combination?

And what about the old "fender" style headstock Drop Top (could be a DTC)? Probably a used piece.

Hmmmm......:confused:

michaelomiya
02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
maybe the red's a ProAM, but the top sure looks like a DT...

tom
02-19-2004, 07:51 PM
it's red not cajun red, we do match that.

michaelomiya
02-19-2004, 08:27 PM
thanks tom!:cool: